Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking brake fault in service mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
probably shouldn’t be looking through these menus, but I’m noticing within the service menu the driver side rear parking brake is highlighted in red and says this message :

“EPBL_a243_bdwUnavailable”

See image.

anyway, is this something to set a service appointment for?
The car itself hasn’t displayed a warning message, only when I’m in service mode.

Attachments

• IMG_3127.jpeg
    IMG_3127.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 28
The issue here is, what does it mean?

As you’ve mentioned, you’re not really supposed to be in that menu.

But you’re unfortunately at the point where, if it actually is something that needs to be checked and not just some minor software glitch, it would be in your best interests to have it taken care of. Or at least checked out.

Be upfront with having gone into the menu and that (hopefully) you didn’t do anything other than see the alert. I mean otherwise, you can’t explain why you’d know.

Just the other week, I was also in that menu after exhausting multiple attempts to fix an issue with my mirror. But nothing in there was useful in that regards. In fact, I find most of it not very useful as I’m not a mechanic. The mirror issue eventually cleared on its own.

Like you, I did find an alert that related to the trunk issue I had for a while, but nothing definitive. The issue was basically that I couldn’t unlock the car from the trunk area, including opening the trunk. In order to use my phone key, I had to be within range of the door/center Bluetooth antennae. The alert was that last software update couldn’t update the module. I suspect it was related, but that was about all. Since I had that issue for a long time, I didn’t need to mention going into the service menu when making the service request, especially since it was the mirror that started this.

Upvote 0
BDW is brake disk wiping function. When wipers are on, the brake disks will slightly clamp at a periodic rate to ensure water is off the disk in case of needing max brake performance in an emergency brake situation.

You should be able to clear this by turning wipers on while driving to let it run the function and pass.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is a big deal in this case. However, I found a service only alert in the service menu about rear defrost out of range, and tested the rear defrosters, noticed a bad area, and Tesla fixed it.

Point is, if you notice a problem with the rear brake, diagnose it outside the service menu, then you can report it for repair, if needed.

Sounds like you shouldn't have any issue with it though. If it was me, I'd just make a mental note of it, and be slightly more aware of rear brake function.

Upvote 0
probably shouldn’t be looking through these menus, but I’m noticing within the service menu the driver side rear parking brake is highlighted in red and says this message :

“EPBL_a243_bdwUnavailable”

See image.

anyway, is this something to set a service appointment for?
The car itself hasn’t displayed a warning message, only when I’m in service mode.
Rameen, I’m having the same alert in the service menu. I noticed that the hold brake function occasionally takes a bit longer to kick in. Car switches to “hold” on a hill, but then rolls a few inches before the brakes actually bring it to a standstill. That’s what brought me to looking through the service menu and finding the parking brake alert. My model 3 is a 2019 with over 100k miles. I’ve never had my brakes serviced, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I need something fixed. I’m going to make a service appointment.

Attachments

• IMG_6365.jpeg
    IMG_6365.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0