Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Camera in the front (short drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MX for a year now, and love my car. But one thing really wish could be done is have the Tesla front camera give the driver a view of the ground just in front of the car and below the normal sight line you have down the frunk. I'm about 5'5" and do not know if this is a problem for taller drivers. The MX is pretty wide and I'm always concerned about getting centered in a parking space where I am pulling nose in which is most of the time. Obviously there is no auto park forward yet. I can not see the parking lines unless the car is quite far back from the start of the space, and usually I'm making a 90 deg turn to park in one. Some way to have the camera's image show on the screen much like the rear camera could solve this problem. It's lame to open your door and find you are not centered or worse crooked in the spot, FWD not withstanding for getting out.

I did not see posts about this,is there previous discussions about seeing just in front of the car in parking?

Artsci designed a front camera system for the Model S that if you get hold of the kit you can probably adapt to the X:

Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection
upload_2017-8-26_7-26-57.png

Reactions: vandacca
I've had my MX for a year now, and love my car. But one thing really wish could be done is have the Tesla front camera give the driver a view of the ground just in front of the car and below the normal sight line you have down the frunk. I'm about 5'5" and do not know if this is a problem for taller drivers. The MX is pretty wide and I'm always concerned about getting centered in a parking space where I am pulling nose in which is most of the time. Obviously there is no auto park forward yet. I can not see the parking lines unless the car is quite far back from the start of the space, and usually I'm making a 90 deg turn to park in one. Some way to have the camera's image show on the screen much like the rear camera could solve this problem. It's lame to open your door and find you are not centered or worse crooked in the spot, FWD not withstanding for getting out.

I did not see posts about this,is there previous discussions about seeing just in front of the car in parking?

Yea, that is a really good point and it would be nice to have. The problem is that even if you are given access to the front camera, it is not pointed or calibrated in a position that will allow you to see directly down in front of the car. And actually there are 3 cameras up there.

I added a front center camera on my S down low with its own screen in the cubby in the car, for front parking situations.
You can get a backup camera and 7" LCD screen combo for less than $50 from many ebay sources (China).

Did this because I don't want to hit the curb or overshoot it and have the car settle its air suspension onto the curb.
Not so much to keep it straight between the lines.

Reactions: FlyF4