Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking for EVs only... While Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess that counts (trickle charge.)

By the way, Mountain View watered down some of their spots... New signs:
attachment.php?attachmentid=2149&d=1311028497.jpg

Attachments

• mv-sign.jpg
    mv-sign.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 408
ICE'd Twice

So, this would be my first time attempting to charge my Model S at a Public charging station. And thanks to Ben Goodwin (Mr. YouTube), I was totally prepared for the mating ritual (Tesla J-1772 adapter + procedure). As I approach the two designated "EV Charging Only" spaces, I see that one of them was occupied by a Toyota 4Runner, and a Cadillac SUV was in the process of pulling into the other one. WWJD?

So I roll down the window and ask the driver if he would mind if I use that space to charge my electric vehicle? So he comes over to my Model S and says "Is this car an electric vehicle?" I say "Yes". He says "It's not a hybrid?" I say "Nope, All Electric". Still confused, he agrees to free up the space. As I back into the space, he decides to wait and watch me "Plug In". I don't think he believed the Model S was an EV. Three minutes later we're all on our way.

An hour later I return to the car to find the 4Runner just leaving. And another Cadillac maneuvers to take the empty space. Without saying a word, I look at the sign, and at his car, and then I glance at the sign again. He stops and asks me: "Do you think it would be alright if I park here for a little while?" Me: "Well, if an EV actually needed to charge, it would be unfortunate". So he reluctantly moved on.

I HAVE LEARNED FOUR THINGS:
1. Just because ChargePoint says the charger is available, it doesn't mean you can use it (because the space may be blocked).
2. I guess drivers know that the Police will not enforce EV parking (as they do handicapped parking) by issuing tickets.
3. Free fuel is free fuel, even if it only takes you 16 miles (1 hr at a 30A public charging station).
4. ChargePoint will email you a nastygram if you unplug before you swipe your card to end the session (sorry Ben, I wasn't paying attention to the end of your video).

Since we've had our car I've noticed it way too often. Just ignorant people. In a way I wish EV charging companies would put the chargers in the back of a lot. With it in the front, the inconsiderate people don't think anything about parking in the charging spots.
The SD zoo is a Greta example of being ICE'd. 6 chargers and 2 leafs were charging and the rest (both sides are accessible) were ICE'd.
Blink has some notes you can print out and place on people windshield telling them they parked at an EV spot and you are not ale to charge.

One other concern I have is Volt drivers. I see more spots taken and blocked all day by volt drivers than any other car. Personally I think they are not helping the EV revolution by always taking the charging spots. What will happen when multiple EV's start not being able to charge when the volt hybrid is blocking the chargers. Kind of seems great for the oil companies to keep volt drivers parked at charging spots and not allow true EV drivers to charge.

Since we've had our car I've noticed it way too often. Just ignorant people. In a way I wish EV charging companies would put the chargers in the back of a lot. With it in the front, the inconsiderate people don't think anything about parking in the charging spots.
The SD zoo is a Greta example of being ICE'd. 6 chargers and 2 leafs were charging and the rest (both sides are accessible) were ICE'd.
Blink has some notes you can print out and place on people windshield telling them they parked at an EV spot and you are not ale to charge.

One other concern I have is Volt drivers. I see more spots taken and blocked all day by volt drivers than any other car. Personally I think they are not helping the EV revolution by always taking the charging spots. What will happen when multiple EV's start not being able to charge when the volt hybrid is blocking the chargers. Kind of seems great for the oil companies to keep volt drivers parked at charging spots and not allow true EV drivers to charge.

Good point about the plug-in hybrid drivers. Very soon they will vastly outnumber the pure EV vehicles like Tesla, Leaf, etc. That's why I'm so glad that Tesla is building the SuperCharger network.

I know there was a heated discussion re: this between dpeilow and JRP, but I agree that it's a slippery slope when PHEVs get involved. They definitely should be able to charge, but is their need to charge greater than the need of a LEAF, iMiev or Model S/Roadster owner? I'd argue no, but that could present some issues and unneeded animosity.

So, I too, am glad for Tesla's network. For the time being, it's Teslas only, so the problem is on hold. Also agree re: putting the chargers out of the way. Being able to charge is perk enough for me -- I don't need to be at the front of the lot.

If it's charging, the Volt has a legit reason to be parked in that spot. But as said in other threads on this topic, the simple solution is to start charging money for parking in those spots.

EV parking priority

Read some EVanglist saying in an article that they should have long term (more than an hour) and short term parking spots (less then an hour). I think people could get behind that but he really pushed for police officers to be able to ticket drivers who willing use the spots improperly! At first I thought that was sort of a dumb idea but listening to more and more EV owners getting "ICE'd" it just seems like these are changes that need to be made. Anybody have any thoughts on how to improve the EV charging experience?

If it's charging, the Volt has a legit reason to be parked in that spot. But as said in other threads on this topic, the simple solution is to start charging money for parking in those spots.

EV parking priority

Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion that most Model S's in those spaces don't really need to be there either. Since all existing cars are 85kWh I find it hard to believe they really need to recharge during the day. Having free prime spots encourages people to park there whether they need to or not.

Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion that most Model S's in those spaces don't really need to be there either. Since all existing cars are 85kWh I find it hard to believe they really need to recharge during the day. Having free prime spots encourages people to park there whether they need to or not.

If I park there without plugging in I'm as guilty as an ICE driver. And I'm not going to plug in unless I need the juice or there are no other parking spots available. It's just faster to park and walk than to deal with getting out the adapter, swiping a card, etc.

I just booked a one night stay at a hotel that is 160 miles from my home. The hotel has (2) Level 2 Charging stations. I will need to recharge overnight (all night at 30A), to be able to return home the next day. If those spaces are taken up by plug-in hybrids, then I will not get home the next day. The hotel says they are first come, first served. I really think you should be able to reserve one of those spaces from 10pm to 6am, along with your room reservation. If one of those spaces is not available by 9pm, I should really switch hotels.

I see a market for a version of the Modular EV Power J1772 to NEMA Adapters

It would take the incoming EVSE power and split it in half. It would do this by terminating the inbound J1772 and then generating a new pilot signal for two fixed J1772 cables and plugs.

Once one car had finished, full power could be routed to the second. Given that present Leafs and Volts max out at 16A and most public EVSEs are 30 or 32A, no one is losing out.

The Volt discussion is why I don't believe the model of sprinkling charging stations everywhere is viable once the number of EV's grows to any sizeable number.

Simple math says that you won't be able to rely on the charge you need because the odds are too high that someone else will need it too and will be using the charger that you need.

I think the long-term viable model is:

* drive during the day and charge at home
* public chargers become expensive to use. That's the only way to keep them available for the folks that really need them.
* hotels have lots of chargers for people who drove long distances to get there. And they do charger reservation if they don't have enough.

So enjoy the free/cheap charging while it lasts.

Yeah, I'd gladly pay to reserve a charger at a hotel overnight. Many of the full service hotels are already charging $15 to $25 a night for self parking, so I'd give them $20 to have a charger reserved for me from 9pm to 9am. Owners of PHEVs wouldn't pay that. Since they're only getting $2 of electric fuel, and 50 cents in the case of the plug-in Prius, (no matter how long they charge), it wouldn't be worth it.

I'd still rather hang out at a Tesla supercharger for 30 - 40 minutes, and get on with my day, as opposed to 12 hours at a public charging station.

The 60 kWh models hit the road this weekend. I suspect they will rapidly be fairly numerous.

Cheers.