Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking my Model S for the winter; any tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live just outside of Winnipeg, Manitoba , Canada and do not plan to drive my Model S over the winter.

I purchased an outdoor cover and plan to store in an enclosed shelter, plugged in to a 110 outlet.

I have never stored a car before. Should I put it on jack stands? Should I reduce the tire pressure?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Set a charge timer and set your charge level to 50%. It would be ideal to get the wheels up off the ground but I'm not sure how to do that in practice. There are 4 jack points and 4 places you would need to put jack stands. You can't both lift the car w/ the jack and put a jack stand underneath it. In an ICE there are handy engine cradle structures and differentials you can use to lift the whole front or rear of the car and put jack stands underneath. Haven't tried it w/ a Model S.

I'll let the other Northerners comment on how it will do on 120V in regards to pack heating and such being stored outside. Maybe it would be best to set the charge timer to come on during the "hottest" part of the day and therefore minimize pack heating?

Set a charge timer and set your charge level to 50%.

Definitely do this.

I've heard that in super cold weather, a 120 V outlet can't even maintain SOC. You may want to see if you can put some insulation underneath the pack to help keep it warm.

Subject to verification as I recall something about a firmware modification that prevented losing range while charging in the cold. Probably not an issue unless it goes below -30C for weeks on end. If you are paranoid then use a 240V outlet.

Your tires will develop flat spots in them from sitting in one place.

Whatever you do, don't lift the car in the wrong place! You could damage the pack.

An easier solution might be to move the car slightly once in a while.

I'm curious why you don't slap some winter tires on her and drive through the winter as well?

Mine has already been through a full Ottawa winter.

For those wondering why I don't plan to drive my Model S in the winter:

1) It is really cold in Winnipeg.
2) There is lots of snow and ice on the roads
3) Winnipeg drivers, I really, really, really do not want to get hit and have to find a shop that can do work on the Tesla.
4) I have 2 Subaru's specificly for our winter driving.

I like the suggestion of moving it every week to reduce the chance of flat spots on the tire.
Thanks for all your advice to date.

I'm originally from Winnipeg. Don't miss the winter!

I'm curious why you don't slap some winter tires on her and drive through the winter as well?
THIS!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add, there's really no need to set a charge timer as several have suggested. Just keep the car plugged in,it will top itself off on a daily basis. A 240 outlet would be better if there is a chance of extreme cold and the 120v isn't enough to keep up.

I'll add, there's really no need to set a charge timer as several have suggested. Just keep the car plugged in,it will top itself off on a daily basis. A 240 outlet would be better if there is a chance of extreme cold and the 120v isn't enough to keep up.
Well, I'm on a TOU meter so I'd want it to do its "top-ups" during off-peak time so that's why I recommended that.

Well, I'm on a TOU meter so I'd want it to do its "top-ups" during off-peak time so that's why I recommended that.

Set the charge timer on the car to your TOU plan, and it will top off when you have programmed it to!

Ah, makes sense. down here in BFE the hamsters run on the wheel 24/7 and keep the cost level at all hours...good tip if the rates are different at different times in the OP's location.