Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Ticket !!! while supercharging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They clearly cannot identify a Tesla car.
The technology clearly can - they have to be linked to the DVLA to know the address to send the fine to the owner

If i was driving an ICE car and i parked in a Tesla spot and registered my number plate, It would be fine with them and they would ignore me. They require people to give them information that they clearly already have (photo's of front and rear number plates)
My point above applies - if they monitor these spaces (typically they just monitor in/out of a parking area) they could easily detect ICE and actually do something useful.

It looks like there is a problem with the forums "Upload an image/file" as i tried to upload an image of the parking ticket.
It is only 1.3MB .jpg but keeps putting up error signs' i will try again on this post.
If the image does not appear can someone advise me what the problem is.

There is nothing wrong with the site, as a new forum member you will need to get a few posts up before you can start uploading media - typical of may forums

I'm still trying to get past the assumption that any parking area belonging to a business can be considered as automatically 'free'...

If there are signs up I read them, to do otherwise risks a fine...

I do not automatically assume parking is free.

However when I was new to Tesla, I did not automatically consider a Tesla charging bay to be a parking area.
I would have got caught out at Stansted save for a thread on here warning of charges.

It is fair to say the signage has improved in recent times though.

I maintain that with even a slightly intelligent use of current technology the whole thing can be improved for all.
Unfortunately maximising revenue will take priority as usual.

The system is fully automated. It scans cars on entry to the car park and on exit. It doesn’t monitor the charging bays at all.

The computer in the hotel is so the reception can register all visitors cars so they don’t get a ticket.

The system will simply send a fine automatically to any car that isn’t on the hotels exclusion database. Why should they automatically exclude Tesla’s?

Saying that, I would argue the case with ParkingEye. It would be for them to prove that you had parked but you can argue you charged not parked.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
The technology clearly can - they have to be linked to the DVLA to know the address to send the fine to the owner

My point above applies - if they monitor these spaces (typically they just monitor in/out of a parking area) they could easily detect ICE and actually do something useful.

To clarify, I only charged for 29 Minutes and did not park as i was in the car all of the time.
Their purpose is not to do something useful, It is to make as much money as possible.

Finding it a little hard to muster much sympathy as it is not exactly a well hidden risk, and is well documented on the Tesla site and as you admit both in the navigation screen and on signs at the location...

From the Tesla website:

The location is on private land, it is not a public parking lot and clearly belongs to the hotel.

It appears to be an honest mistake with no victim (the parking is free)...I can certainly muster sympathy for the OP here. Seems the sensible thing for the company to do is simply forgive the ticket and reiterate the policy.

I too have fallen foul of ParkingEye at the Campanile Northampton, I charged for 30 minutes at night, and did not leave my car. I did not see any signage. I do not agree that there should be any obligation to leave a car unattended while charging, or any obligation to walk across a car park at night, simply to register a number plate that they have already captured on video and have already identified as a Tesla, at a Tesla Supercharger. I will not be paying the £100 fine.
I am neither frail nor vulnerable, but I do not believe that it is ok to oblige anyone to leave their vehicle, especially at night, when all they are doing is an essential recharge in order to get home safely.

I too have fallen foul of ParkingEye at the Campanile Northampton, I charged for 30 minutes at night, and did not leave my car. I did not see any signage. I do not agree that there should be any obligation to leave a car unattended while charging, or any obligation to walk across a car park at night, simply to register a number plate that they have already captured on video and have already identified as a Tesla, at a Tesla Supercharger. I will not be paying the £100 fine.
I am neither frail nor vulnerable, but I do not believe that it is ok to oblige anyone to leave their vehicle, especially at night, when all they are doing is an essential recharge in order to get home safely.
I appealed the charge and it was canceled . The appeals address is on the back of the paperwork.
Good luck.

Sorry what? What part of this is a public function? It’s a private hotel offering services for a private company? If they said you were only allow to and from your car by hopping on one leg then if you choose to park there that’s what you should do. You had another choice which is not to park there. You accepted their rules, clearly stated, but chose to ignore them as you thought you knew/were better.

In defense of David - where do you draw the line on what powers one can bestow on a private entity?

From your definition they are free to not only levy a fine, but any amount of fine? What stops them from making it $500 an hour fine or $2000?

Once you give them a carte-blanche right to institute any rule, how would you argue if their fines are say 10 times any reasonable parking fine in that area?

My point is - they have a responsibility to make sure the rules are clear and posted in a location that no way any owner can miss it easily. I would insist on a clear sign plastered right at the pedestal in big bold letters that read, “Register at front desk or pay fine”. Anything less is robbery.

I appealed the charge and it was canceled . The appeals address is on the back of the paperwork.
Good luck.
Hi there, thank you for your reply - glad to learn that you were able to appeal successfully, I also appealed to ParkingEye but they have rejected my appeal - so now I am appealing to POPLA. If you are able to pass on any info relating to your appeal that you think may help, I'd be very grateful.

I just told them the truth, I did not ignore the signs, i did not read them because all the superchargers i have visited previously did not require any signing in, and the sings at these chargers stated something like " Tesla car charging only"
So i assumed these read the same. to this day i do not even know what the signs stated.
If i ever need to go back i will register at their reception and cause as much embarrassment and aggravation to the hotel as possible.

Reactions: SeanG
Unfortunately you are in the wrong. I use this charger a fair amount and there are signs stating that parking is only allow for 1 hour and you must register your car registration number with the hotel front desk within 10 minutes. This is also shown on the supercharger info on your map in the car.

Lots of questions here ...

Does a Tesla driver really have a choice of whether to use a particular supercharger or not?

Is the driver of an ICE at a petrol pump "parking" his car while filling it up? Is an EV "parking" when it is charging?

The Supercharger network is offered free of charge to many Tesla owners, is there any mention in the terms of use that arbitrary rules may be enforced by third parties to harvest cash from Tesla drivers who do not (or cannot) leave their vehicle unattended while charging?

On the subject of leaving the vehicle, any thoughts on disabled drivers? ... or single female drivers at night in remote locations?

An lot of Tesla Superchargers are placed at the remote end of parking lots - not a bad idea as it discourages ICE'ing, but if ParkingEye get their way, we could all be forced to leave our cars and traipse all the way to a login console just to avoid a £100 fine .... is that really OK?

And for you personally, do you remember back before the days when the Northampton supercharger was not under the evil eye of ParkingEye? Was there a problem with ICE parking at the bays... and has it gone away now that ParkingEye have been allowed to rake in the cash at this site?

As you are a regular user of this Supercharger, I sincerely hope for your sake that it never rains heavily just as you arrive, and I would be very dismayed if your car was vandalised at night while you were happily tapping your number plate into the ParkingEye console, out of sight of your car.

My preference would be for a campaign of non compliance at this site - or else we can all look forward to this becoming the norm across the Tesla Superchargers in the UK.

I am not wrong, you did not comprehend my post. I DID NOT READ THE SIGNS.
I support you - and if ever I'm back at the Northampton supercharger I will refuse to register at the stupid terminal they have installed in the Campanile reception - this crap has got to stop, otherwise every Tesla supercharger in the UK could be turned into a ParkingEye site

I too had a ticket from the same place, I even had a meal at the hotel. I appealed it and they cancelled the fine. There were small signs where the chargers are but the first time I visited I didn't see them. The second time I charged there all the stalls were full. I was sitting in my car and watched another Tesla drive in waiting for a charger to become vacant. After 5 mins I got out of my car and went to tell him he had 10 mins to sign in after arriving. I also had to remind another owner as I watched him sit down in the restaurant and had not entered his reg. Rules are rules but the signage is obviously inadequate. Together with that the hotel could help by asking a visitor, did you park in the car park sir.......

I too had a ticket from the same place, I even had a meal at the hotel. I appealed it and they cancelled the fine. There were small signs where the chargers are but the first time I visited I didn't see them. The second time I charged there all the stalls were full. I was sitting in my car and watched another Tesla drive in waiting for a charger to become vacant. After 5 mins I got out of my car and went to tell him he had 10 mins to sign in after arriving. I also had to remind another owner as I watched him sit down in the restaurant and had not entered his reg. Rules are rules but the signage is obviously inadequate. Together with that the hotel could help by asking a visitor, did you park in the car park sir.......

Good that you have appealed successfully - I learned today that my appeal has been rejected!!

I have posted a survey in the UK and Ireland section .... please go and vote. - here is the text:

Stop the rot !! The Campanile Northampton Supercharger has been contracted out to ParkingEye and they are now extorting £100 from every Tesla driver who does not leave their car unattended while charging to go and register at a terminal in the hotel. This is not stopping ICE'ing - an ICE driver can still park in a charging bay and if they register they don't get fined!!

As we all know, lots of Superchargers are placed at the remotest end of car parks - a good thing to avoid ICE'ing, but no good at all if ParkingEye take over - they will oblige you to leave your car unattended.

1. disabled drivers
2. vulnerable drivers at night
3. drivers with vulnerable passengers who do not want to be left alone
4. dyslexic drivers who cannot type out their car registration .... ;-)

will not be well served if ParkingEye win any new contracts to supervise Tesla Superchargers.

If you are at the Campanile Northampton REFUSE TO REGISTER !!!

Hit the social media forums and give the hotel a one star rating. Once it hits their revenue stream, and they see their reviews go to sheetz they will reconsider. Yelp, Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet, Expedia, etc...you have an hour to charge, get busy.. Also file a complaint with the hotel service desk by email.