Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Recall announced on blog for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of ways to handle a recall. (I've had to handle a few in my career and will have more, no doubt.) It's never fun. But there are two kinds of manufacturers. One, who says 'yeah, okay, we found a defect and we'll just quietly fix it the next time these cars come in for maintenance - no one will ever know'. And then there are the ones who do the right thing, whether or not someone is watching over their shoulder.

Land Rover is definitely one of those "no one will ever know" manufacturers.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what the details of the "After a careful examination" is. I wonder if it was something like examining some of the major crashes that have occurred with the MS in the real world or if it was just part of some routine internal crash tests.

"Adjustments to the alignment of the left hand seat back striker were improperly made through use of hammer force rather than shimming."
"On June 7, 2013, a technician on the assembly line was adjusting the alignment for the newly designed left hand second row seat striker utilizing a slide hammer."
"The use of a slide hammer to adjust door and tailgate strikers is an industry standard method of adjustment"

Sounds like the same way I solve lots of problems when stuff doesn't want to fit quite right...

Yes, that's essentially the method I use :)

I've only had my car for two weeks and I am impacted by the recall, so I am sad to lose this car for a day.
Dumb question: is the left side seat in question the one directly behind the driver?
My kids sit there all the time... Should I preferentially use the jump seats til the fix?

i got the email asking me to contact the service center, which I did immediately on Wednesday, left a message, but still no call back. How long is this taking to arrange for others?
thx!

It took me like, 3 minutes to arrange it. The service center actually proactively called me as well (apparently they didn't notice I had already made an appointment 2 hours earlier). Car went in Friday, but the necessary changes had already been done at the factory, so I got the car back within 2 hours.

That's great, Brendan! After inquiring with headquarters, they asked the service center to call. We arranged for the fix to be completed in my driveway during one of my telework days this week. It's nice, because I will still be able to do morning and afternoon carpool, without moving kid seats around like I would have to with a loaner. I appreciated having a variety of options for the repair, at no cost.