Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Recall announced on blog for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would this even appear on the NHTSA's web site?
Would Tesla have added it?
Or the poster a few days ago who told us all to report Tesla to the NHTSA?

Don't know. I registered with NHTSA last year to get emails whenever anything "Tesla" is posted. I just got the announcement with the link I posted this morning.
My interest was to get access to the normal Safety Ratings. Which reminds me... Did we ever get our official 5 star Safety Rating?

Don't know. I registered with NHTSA last year to get emails whenever anything "Tesla" is posted. I just got the announcement with the link I posted this morning.
My interest was to get access to the normal Safety Ratings. Which reminds me... Did we ever get our official 5 star Safety Rating?

Don't think that is out yet.

I am old enough to remember when car seatbacks weren't even latched... they just flopped back and forth. True story: when I was a baby, my parents had a bassinet that hung over the backrest of the (non-latching) front seat of Dad's 2-door Edsel. Essentially, I was carried around in a catapult, and they used to take me from Florida (where we lived) to Canada (where we had family) in that contraption.

Times have changed, but this rear seat latch strike issue is about as minor as it gets IMHO.

In Tesla's Defect Notice .pdf, they reported 1228 vehicles potentially contain the defect, but estimate on 20% of those actually contain the defect. Perhaps that estimate is related to how many vehicles this technician (maybe some others) worked on that part during that time period. Of course I may be misinterpreting the 20% value. If I'm not, it doesn't seem those should cost $150k to correct but I'm not sure how Reuters arrived at their number.

according to this reuters article the fix will cost $150k. How is that possible for picking up and modifying 800 Model S' (or is it 1228, I am confused). Or do you think the $150k refers to retooling the factory?

3 hours / car
800 cars
$62.50 / hour = $150k

Based on the descripton retooling isn't necessary. A piece of tooling was attached by tightening down something, rather than shimming and then tightening down. Probably took about 30 minutes to fix the equipment.

Just got the recall notification:

Dear Model S Owner,

This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

REASON FOR THIS RECALL

Tesla Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2013 Model S vehicles manufactured between May 10, 2013 and June 8, 2013. During assembly, certain left hand second row seat strikers used to retain the left hand seat back in the upright position may have had the weld between the striker bracket and vehicle frame compromised. If compromised, there is no assurance that the left hand seat back will be properly retained in its latched upright position in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury to passengers.

WHAT TESLA MOTORS WILL DO:

Tesla Motors will check the second row left hand seat back striker and install, regardless of condition, additional mounting hardware to ensure adequate retention of the affected striker. The repair will take approximately an hour and a half, and be performed at no cost to you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Please contact Tesla Service as soon as possible to schedule an appointment at your convenience. Dial 1-877-79-TESLA (83752) then press 2, or visit www.teslamotors.com/findus to locate your nearest service center.

We want to assure that your vehicle provides the highest possible level of safety. Should you have questions regarding the above Recall action, please contact Tesla Service at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752) then press 2.

If you believe that Tesla Motors has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE Washington, DC 20590 or call 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to www.safercar.gov

Federal law requires any lessor who receives a notification of a determination of a safety-related defect or noncompliance pertaining to any leased motor vehicle shall send the notice to the lessee within 10 days.

Tesla Motors, Inc.

Last edited:
I'm in the mfg. window but no email (yet). I'm also having a ranger coming next week to fix an (unrelated) busted pano windscreen arm.

Full disclosure: this is the best car in the history of cars. Loving my Teslarossa.

tesla.jpg

Just got mine today as well. We took delivery on May 25th so I was expecting it. I was hoping to have our CA license plates by now so we could have them put on at the same time. I will wait until tomorrow to see if they come and then call to schedule. I can't imagine being without this car though after only a few weeks so I may see if they will make good on the loaner offer.

Partial Recall

Sorry - redundant post. Looked but didn't see the other thread.

From the Tesla Motors Blog:
After a careful examination, we have concluded that some Model S vehicles manufactured between May 10, 2013 and June 8, 2013 may contain a defect. Specifically, the attachment strength of the mounting bracket for the left hand latch of the second row seat could be weaker than intended. This reduces our confidence that the left hand seat back will be properly retained in the event of a crash.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/partial-recall

Shouldn't effect many cars, only a months production.

Last edited:
I think it will be minor. The good thing is that it has NOTHING to do with the fact that the Model S is an EV. Even better, it has NOTHING to do with a design problem, but was a manufacturing problem--so I see this as very small.

and a good thing that the only ones affected are the ones where "former" new :redface:employee Fred Flintstone used his hammer.

Last edited:
I received my Model S last week and it was built during the affected window. When I contacted service today to schedule the appointment they told me that it's not needed because the update was performed before the car was delivered to me.

Nice.