Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Regenerative Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When taking foot off pedal regen is pretty strong.

When approaching a stop light I’ve been putting only slight pressure on accelerator pedal, still allowing car to slow but stil pushing on the accelerator a litlle - essentially taking longer to slow and smoothing it out.

Is this still using regen, or does your foot need to be completely off the pedal for it to recharge the battery?

Does it recapture more energy if you keep on the acelerator driving normal longer before approaching light then fully release it?

There's a line just below the speed that turns green whenever regen is happening, the further left the line grows the more regen is occuring.

When the car is cold or battery is at 100% and regen isn't possible that line turns dotted, as regen capacity improves dots turn solid.

This line also turns black when using energy, the further right it grows the more energy is being used.

When taking foot off pedal regen is pretty strong.

When approaching a stop light I’ve been putting only slight pressure on accelerator pedal, still allowing car to slow but stil pushing on the accelerator a litlle - essentially taking longer to slow and smoothing it out.

Is this still using regen, or does your foot need to be completely off the pedal for it to recharge the battery?

Does it recapture more energy if you keep on the acelerator driving normal longer before approaching light then fully release it?
Yes, it's still doing regen even when you ease back only slightly, and you can confirm this by looking at the thin horizontal line along the top-left of the display close to the speedometer (on M3/MY) .. which shows black when the car is being powered and green when the car is doing regen (with the line length showing amount of power/regen).

Generally, you should be able to modulate the accelerator pedal so that you get a nice normal, smooth, slow down effect all the way to stop as easily as using the regular brakes (it just takes a bit of practice). I wouldn't worry about what regen curve is optimal .. just as long as you are not using the regular brakes (though of course there are times when you will have to do that too).

Some where on this site I could swear I read that it's either accelerator or regen, the 2 won't happen simultaneously. Am I mistaken?
Well, if you mean can the car energize the motors and do regen at the same time then no, of course not (since one is the reverse of the other). But if you ease off the accelerator then yes, the car will apply regen (you can feel and see it on the display). You do NOT have to have your foot off the accelerator for regen to occur.

Reactions: Johnny Vector