Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partially Active autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like Tesla to have the feature where autopilot intervenes only if the drives makes a mistake. For example, if I change lanes with a car in my blind spot, then the car should stop me from doing so. Several manufacturers offer this feature. It should no be hard for Tesla to implement it.

Also, any chance a blind spot indicator be added to the side mirrors?

I think the advanced side collision warning feature in AP2 is what you are asking for:
We've upgraded Model S/Model X active safety capabilities by enhancing Side Collision Warning. In addition to warning you when it detects an object close to its side, Model S/Model X now steers away from the object if a collision is likely.
Note: This enhancement is available when Model S/Model X is traveling between 48 km/h and 140 km/h/30 mph and 85 mph

Something like this might be nice, but there are also cases where it could cause problems too. What if you knew full well that you were swerving into another car, but you were doing so to avoid a pedestrian that just stepped out into the road in front of you? You don’t want the car to try to stop you from hitting the other car and cause you to hit the pedestrian instead.

There are a lot of different scenarios to consider as full self driving gets closer and automated safety features start becoming available

Reactions: croman