Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts on back order - timeline/recent experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Saturday, February 8th, I met a lovely old lady who promptly proceeded to drive straight into my Model 3 as I was stopped at a traffic light. Actually, she wasn't nice at all: the first thing she blurted out was "my nephew's the sheriff!" and then she proceeded to try to pin the whole thing on me...but I digress. Long story short, I got ~$12k of front end damage. I'm working with a Tesla-certified body shop that just completed tearing down my car and ordered parts.

They were told that the following parts are on back order with unknown ETA:
- Hood
- Right-side fender support
- Right hand fog light assembly
- Ambient air temperature sensor

Does anyone have a recent experience with back-ordered parts for Model 3 and how long the wait times were? I would sincerely appreciate any information as I'm trying to plan my work travel for the next few months. I'm in upstate NY, if that matters. Thanks!

Obligatory picture of my car:
upload_2020-2-11_19-54-3.png

Well that stinks! Sorry. Please tell me you got it on the dash cam?!?

As for parts ... not sure what current wait times are but my body shop said it would’ve been quicker for Tesla than the 2+ months it took for us to get Buick parts. So that’s something.....?

Thanks for the kind words, and I am sorry about the wait time on the Buick parts. Unfortunately, I did not get the accident on dashcam - TeslaCam failed to write the footage for the critical 30 seconds. Here're the timestamps from the video files that I was able to scrape off the thumb drive; that jump between the one minute segment that ended at :23 and next one that ended at :50 is when I got hit.
Screenshot_14.png

I've read about this happening before and had plans to buy a proper dashcam, but, well, you know how those plans go. Fortunately, the one nice thing that the old lady did was tell the police officer that she was looking backwards while driving forward and turning left, so my insurance is treating this as a not-at-fault accident so far. I also got some footage from a couple of local stores and have a video that starts shortly after the impact and I do have the TeslaCam footage starting with a few seconds after the impact - all of those show that I'm in my own lane and she had crossed the lane divider. As they say, lesson learned and I will not be driving again without a real dashcam.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My Nephew is the Sheriff. Gotta love that. Maybe he knows how to get parts from Tesla faster?

Others who have posted on this forum have experienced turnaround times from a couple of weeks to 4 months, and longer in some cases. The body shop will have to stay on top of Tesla to get those parts. If they nag them constantly it will help.

And I know it’s too late to give this advice, but for others reading this thread, consider upgrading your rental car coverage on your Tesla. If you are without a car for several months the standard $600 coverage doesn’t go very far.

Hopefully her insurance company will accept responsibility here and compensate you for a loaner car. If it was clearly her fault it’s on them to cover you. Good luck with it.

Reactions: ilyak
Last Saturday, February 8th, I met a lovely old lady who promptly proceeded to drive straight into my Model 3 as I was stopped at a traffic light. Actually, she wasn't nice at all: the first thing she blurted out was "my nephew's the sheriff!" and then she proceeded to try to pin the whole thing on me...but I digress. Long story short, I got ~$12k of front end damage. I'm working with a Tesla-certified body shop that just completed tearing down my car and ordered parts.

- Hood

Does anyone have a recent experience with back-ordered parts for Model 3 and how long the wait times were? I would sincerely appreciate any information as I'm trying to plan my work travel for the next few months. I'm in upstate NY, if that matters. Thanks!

View attachment 510295

My M3SR+ came with defective or damaged front shocks in April 2019 when the car was delivered. At first, it was rattling and clunking at low speeds (15-30mph) on rough pavement. I was told it was not dangerous. I was told it might take a month or two to get parts. It now rattles and clunks at speeds up to 50mph. 10 months and 6,000 miles later, no sign of parts, and I am no longer getting parts delivery estimates, just "I don't know" from the service tech dealing with my case. I am suspecting a year or more to get replacement shocks, but keep hoping for the call inviting me to book an appointment to have the shocks changed.

I have been told that in the 10 months gone by, the part number has been available, but no parts have been available in North America. I'm kind of disappointed by the whole experience. At least I can drive my car. My main concern is the pounding that other suspension and steering parts will take, and who is going to pay if these parts start failing prematurely because of the hammering from the looseness in the shocks.

Good luck with your repairs, and I hope your parts show up a lot faster than mine (I presume they will eventually become available).

My M3SR+ came with defective or damaged front shocks in April 2019 when the car was delivered. At first, it was rattling and clunking at low speeds (15-30mph) on rough pavement. I was told it was not dangerous. I was told it might take a month or two to get parts. It now rattles and clunks at speeds up to 50mph. 10 months and 6,000 miles later, no sign of parts, and I am no longer getting parts delivery estimates, just "I don't know" from the service tech dealing with my case. I am suspecting a year or more to get replacement shocks, but keep hoping for the call inviting me to book an appointment to have the shocks changed.

I have been told that in the 10 months gone by, the part number has been available, but no parts have been available in North America. I'm kind of disappointed by the whole experience. At least I can drive my car. My main concern is the pounding that other suspension and steering parts will take, and who is going to pay if these parts start failing prematurely because of the hammering from the looseness in the shocks.

Good luck with your repairs, and I hope your parts show up a lot faster than mine (I presume they will eventually become available).
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds rather unfortunately. In my case, the parts required are common enough replacements for any body work on the front end that I can't imagine them being out of stock for multiple months. Then again, with Tesla you really never know.

Not recent, but last year I had to wait a little over a month for rear roof glass when mine cracked. During that month, nobody at Tesla knew when it would be available, which was the most frustrating part (Janky internal communication at Tesla...surprise surprise). When the crack grew from one side clear over to the other, I paid my local service center a surprise visit to try to put some more urgency behind the matter and they suddenly had one "en route".

I am in the same boat with similar damage to my Model 3. Repair order with Tesla was placed on 1/30. Hood and front fender (I believe) were back ordered. The final item shipped today with scheduled delivery 2/17.

About three weeks total turn around.

- Hood

View attachment 510295

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and ilyak
I am in the same boat with similar damage to my Model 3. Repair order with Tesla was placed on 1/30. Hood and front fender (I believe) were back ordered. The final item shipped today with scheduled delivery 2/17.

About three weeks total turn around.
Thanks for the info! Do you recall if the hood was one of the backordered parts? My fenders are intact (miracle!), just need some mounts/clips.

My body shop said Tesla parts people told them there was a factory shutdown in early January causing shortages of stamped parts but the volumes should be picking back up now so that’s...some good news I guess?

edit: apparently, I’m blind - it’s right in your reply. Thanks again!

I'm waiting on two of the same parts, I think. Been backordered since Dec 10th last year. Good luck to us all...
  • Some sort of clip: 1088439-00-A S4 PA RETAINER, FRT FASCIA, M3
  • Front right fog/indicator assembly: 1077392-00-F LAMP ASY, FASCIA LAMP, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH

So here are the part numbers for the parts that are backordered that I need:

- 1086016-S0-A M3 ASSY FR FENDER SUPPORT RH
- 1077392-00-F LAMP ASY, FASCIA LAMP, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH
- 1106818-00-A SENSOR, AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE, HCC
- 1081390-E0-C HOOD ASSY, MODEL 3

Looks like the clip is different, but the fog lamp does overlap, so that's bad news for me. I might just pick one up on ebay - looks like some are available relatively cheaply. On a side note, making a clip that holds the bumper in place part of a lamp assembly is an...interesting engineering decision.

Now here's a curious discovery I've just made: a bunch of the backordered parts are freely available from third party online shops in, out of all places, Ukraine. For example, here's the clip that you're waiting for: Кронштейн парктроника S4 M3 1088439-00-A | Тесла Сервис Киев - "в наличии" means "in stock". And here's my fender support: Кронштейн фары правый Model 3 1086016-S0-A | Тесла Сервис Киев. Makes you wonder.

So here are the part numbers for the parts that are backordered that I need:

- 1086016-S0-A M3 ASSY FR FENDER SUPPORT RH
- 1077392-00-F LAMP ASY, FASCIA LAMP, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH
- 1106818-00-A SENSOR, AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE, HCC
- 1081390-E0-C HOOD ASSY, MODEL 3

Looks like the clip is different, but the fog lamp does overlap, so that's bad news for me. I might just pick one up on ebay - looks like some are available relatively cheaply. On a side note, making a clip that holds the bumper in place part of a lamp assembly is an...interesting engineering decision.

Now here's a curious discovery I've just made: a bunch of the backordered parts are freely available from third party online shops in, out of all places, Ukraine. For example, here's the clip that you're waiting for: Кронштейн парктроника S4 M3 1088439-00-A | Тесла Сервис Киев - "в наличии" means "in stock". And here's my fender support: Кронштейн фары правый Model 3 1086016-S0-A | Тесла Сервис Киев. Makes you wonder.

I've already dropped a $300 deposit with the body shop to order the parts unfortunately. But this is a very interesting find!

Can't believe I'm waiting so long for that dang little clip of all things. Many of us have read the stories of waits on parts, I just didn't think these two would be the kind of parts to wait on (through to the credit of the body shop, they warned that these parts specifically would probably be harder to get at this time of year... due to more frontal accidents I guess?).

I've already dropped a $300 deposit with the body shop to order the parts unfortunately. But this is a very interesting find!

Can't believe I'm waiting so long for that dang little clip of all things. Many of us have read the stories of waits on parts, I just didn't think these two would be the kind of parts to wait on (through to the credit of the body shop, they warned that these parts specifically would probably be harder to get at this time of year... due to more frontal accidents I guess?).

You’d be shocked. Our Buick took over 3 months to repair but I’m still waiting for 1 part ... the EMISSIONS STICKER that goes under the hood.

Seriously, the silly danged sticker. How ridiculous. Coming up on 4 months now.

My shop did not make me put down a deposit, but I also doubt they'll agree to install parts they didn't source from Tesla as they're one of the certified shops. And yeah, what you're waiting for appears to be an ultrasonic sensor mounting bracket.

I have some minor damage, scratches, on my bumper and the odd nick on the front fenders and hood as well as a couple of nicks on my windshield. 2 windshields have arrived over the past 2 months broken, is on order again, and all of the other parts are on backorder. The damage I have is RIDICULOUSLY minor so I am not upset and told the body shop to make sure they prioritize cars that need these parts to be functional.

I have some minor damage, scratches, on my bumper and the odd nick on the front fenders and hood as well as a couple of nicks on my windshield. 2 windshields have arrived over the past 2 months broken, is on order again, and all of the other parts are on backorder. The damage I have is RIDICULOUSLY minor so I am not upset and told the body shop to make sure they prioritize cars that need these parts to be functional.
Do you by chance have part numbers for backordered parts you’re waiting for? Also, that’s awfully nice of you.