Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger doors slams shut on leg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
HI,

2 or 3 times (out of 100+) the passenger door has tried to slammed shut on my wife's leg. It always happen in our garage which tight with another car being less that 2 feet from the passenger door. It happens when we get back home and I am getting out of the driver's door. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have also experienced the door shutting when I didn't want it to (without being so unfortunate as to actually have it hit my leg). It happened in loaners much more frequently than in my car because the silicon covers my service center puts on their fobs added friction in my pocket making accidental clicks more common. My fob is now hanging from a belt loop instead of stored in my pocket, seemed better than turning off the feature to me.

I have also experienced the door shutting when I didn't want it to (without being so unfortunate as to actually have it hit my leg). It happened in loaners much more frequently than in my car because the silicon covers my service center puts on their fobs added friction in my pocket making accidental clicks more common. My fob is now hanging from a belt loop instead of stored in my pocket, seemed better than turning off the feature to me.
I use an aluminum case for my key so it won't be accidentally push while in pocket. No issues so far. You can find such case easily on Amazon or eBay.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
I use an aluminum case for my key so it won't be accidentally push while in pocket. No issues so far. You can find such case easily on Amazon or eBay.
I saw some of those, but they looked like they blocked the FWD buttons, and I use those, so I didn't mess with them. My Tesla fob has never shared the keychain with the rest of my keys because of its design. I wouldn't mind if it did, but haven't seen the right solution yet. Belt loop is working for me, just wish I could find a quick connector to replace the factory tether without adding length.

The usual culprit is passenger gently pulling the interior latch instead of the curved top of the door. If they get latch a pull then door shuts on its own, and pretty hard. Make sure your wife is grabbing the top part or getting in and then pulling the latch a bit after.

This happened to me a number of times when I first got my car (two weeks ago :)) and was installing car sets. Also hit my wife with the FWD when climbing into the driver seat. Turning off the single click close and switching it to the triple press has solved the problem and I've not had it since. My car was used so I don't know if it was set up differently, but given the ease at which the fob can accidentally press buttons I'm amazed it's the default.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
This happened to me a number of times when I first got my car (two weeks ago :)) and was installing car sets. Also hit my wife with the FWD when climbing into the driver seat. Turning off the single click close and switching it to the triple press has solved the problem and I've not had it since. My car was used so I don't know if it was set up differently, but given the ease at which the fob can accidentally press buttons I'm amazed it's the default.
Welcome to the forum!!!