Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger reactions to full acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to a brunch the other day with a couple of friends that had never had a ride in a Tesla. The opportunity to show them full go from a dead stop presents itself and I warned them how severe my model 3 performance would accelerate. Mashing the pedal to the floor has the front seat passenger yelling Oh My God repeatedly while flapping both his arms and legs like crazy! I slowed down and after a little I let him drive it. When he could control it he was much better off, but for a moment there he was really upset at me. Another time I gave a full on ride to a guy that races motorcycles and very quickly he said this car is going to make me sick! I am sure you Tesla owners have some great stories so let’s hear em?

People who haven’t experienced the actual performance of the Tesla can’t really appreciate it.

The true car guy with a “fast car” is now faced with the fact that the Tesla is both much faster and also (just as important) also able to drive in a relaxed manner. There aren’t many other cars that can successfully provide super car performance one moment and normal easy low speed driving the next.

Went to a brunch the other day with a couple of friends that had never had a ride in a Tesla. The opportunity to show them full go from a dead stop presents itself and I warned them how severe my model 3 performance would accelerate. Mashing the pedal to the floor has the front seat passenger yelling Oh My God repeatedly while flapping both his arms and legs like crazy! I slowed down and after a little I let him drive it. When he could control it he was much better off, but for a moment there he was really upset at me. Another time I gave a full on ride to a guy that races motorcycles and very quickly he said this car is going to make me sick! I am sure you Tesla owners have some great stories so let’s hear em?

I had the neighbor lady in her 80's in my Performance Model 3 (she was locked out of her house and we were trying to find her husband). She kept commenting on how quiet the car was (she drives a newer Cadillac).

As I slowed down to 15 mph and made sure the coast was clear and her spine was head were properly positioned on the seatback, I said "Yes it is but do you want to see what I like about it?" Before she could answer I floored it. She looked terrified but as I let off she started giggling like a little school girl and saying "zoom zoom!" She said she would get into trouble in this car because she likes to drive fast. Before I got her home she had said "zoom-zoom!" at least 3 or four more times.

I ran into her a few days later and she said she had told her husband how it went "zoom-zoom!".

I have quite a few friends with quick and/or fast cars and they enjoy it. It's just a different feeling and with it being quiet it makes it that much more interesting to them. I took a buddy with a 700+ rwhp twin turbo G8 for a ride Saturday night, I made sure I was charged up to 80%+, and he got a kick out of it. It's not fast by any means, but it's just instant torque and acceleration while being silent.

Last edited:
Reactions: daviddfann
My brother has always been the car guy, I was a professional pilot and did airshows and competition aerobatics back in the 90’s, so I was the plane guy. My Raven performance X has better acceleration than any of my aerobatic aircraft, (at various times an Extra 230, Extra 300L, and a Pitts S2B), though I could pull more G’s in the aircraft while maneuvering. So I was very used to the G forces when I bought my X.

It’s how I get my Vitamin “G” nowadays.

My brother owns a hopped up Hellcat with over 800hp, and used to have a BMW 700 series sedan.

After he took one drive in my X (after asking me why I wanted an electric car), he talked me into going down to test drive an S. He promptly traded the BMW in for the S, didn’t even wait to order it, found an inventory car in Atlanta with his specs.

I always tell people who, when they hear I own a Tesla, ask me the FUD questions, I just say “Go drive one, then come back and tell me what you don’t like about it”.