Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side window glass won’t roll up completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, ever since I took deliver of my model 3 I noticed pretty bad wind noise from the passenger side window area. Since I usually was the driver, I didn’t really pay attention to it. A couple of days ago, i sat in the passenger seat when my child drove the car, and found the wind noise unbearable. It sounded like the window seal didn’t work. But the glass seemed to be all the way up.

After I got home I took a close look at both the driver side and the passenger side window glass. I noticed the driver side window glass went all the way up and pushed into the seal above it so much the top of glass literally went into the seal. The passenger side window glass however didnt go all the way up. When I kept holding the switch up, the glass went up, touched the seal, stopped and retracted a bit. The top of the glass didn’t compress the seal It sorta just sat there next to the seal. That’s probably how the wind noise comes in. I am attaching two pictures here. First one is of the passenger side window glass. It doesn’t go into seal. So it sits lower than the driver side window glass. One can see the upper left corner (curves) of the glass in the picture. Second pictures is of the driver side window. The glass is all the way up and into the seal. The corner is in the seal and not visible. I think this is the root cause of many Teslas having excessive wind noise.

I made an appointment with Tesla sc but it is one month out. Meanwhile I am wounding if anyone here knows if i can force the glass up manually somehow?

Attachments

• 225752A1-8690-486D-814F-2651CA53CDC3.jpeg
    225752A1-8690-486D-814F-2651CA53CDC3.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 236
  • C84F64E4-AE7A-4D69-A1BE-4B38ACB01D81.jpeg
    C84F64E4-AE7A-4D69-A1BE-4B38ACB01D81.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 152
If Tesla's are like Volvo's they have a sensor that stops the window from rising if it encounters resistance. In addition to my M3 I have a 14 year old Volvo XC70 with 179,000 miles on it. About 2 years ago it developed an issue where just as the front passenger window raised all the way, it would stop and then go back down. Volvo told me the sensor needed replacement. Having said that, it could just be that the seals on that door just weren't installed properly. It sucks to have to wait a month for an appointment, but such is there state of things with Tesla

I don't know this would help but you might want to calibrate while waiting:

I have the same issue, it started after Tesla replaced the 12 v battery. The driver side window will not work in auto open/close. I called the Tech who replaced the battery and teached me how to calibrate....it did work for a day or two but then it stucked open and wont close while raining....(what a cluster F). called an appointment and awaitting parts, apparently there was an issue with probably the limit switch or the motor is bad.....for the meantime in the ranch, I dont open the door for now which really sucks.

Hi there, ever since I took deliver of my model 3 I noticed pretty bad wind noise from the passenger side window area. Since I usually was the driver, I didn’t really pay attention to it. A couple of days ago, i sat in the passenger seat when my child drove the car, and found the wind noise unbearable. It sounded like the window seal didn’t work. But the glass seemed to be all the way up.

After I got home I took a close look at both the driver side and the passenger side window glass. I noticed the driver side window glass went all the way up and pushed into the seal above it so much the top of glass literally went into the seal. The passenger side window glass however didnt go all the way up. When I kept holding the switch up, the glass went up, touched the seal, stopped and retracted a bit. The top of the glass didn’t compress the seal It sorta just sat there next to the seal. That’s probably how the wind noise comes in. I am attaching two pictures here. First one is of the passenger side window glass. It doesn’t go into seal. So it sits lower than the driver side window glass. One can see the upper left corner (curves) of the glass in the picture. Second pictures is of the driver side window. The glass is all the way up and into the seal. The corner is in the seal and not visible. I think this is the root cause of many Teslas having excessive wind noise.

I made an appointment with Tesla sc but it is one month out. Meanwhile I am wounding if anyone here knows if i can force the glass up manually somehow?
It is pretty normal. I've had the same noise for a while now...Didn't use to bother about it until as I was always the one driving until when recently when I was in sitting at the passenger's seat. It was more intense but I already fixed an appointment with them to have it looked at. If I may suggest don't try to force the glass into the seal

I have the same issue, it started after Tesla replaced the 12 v battery. The driver side window will not work in auto open/close. I called the Tech who replaced the battery and teached me how to calibrate....it did work for a day or two but then it stucked open and wont close while raining....(what a cluster F). called an appointment and awaitting parts, apparently there was an issue with probably the limit switch or the motor is bad.....for the meantime in the ranch, I dont open the door for now which really sucks.
I'm having a reoccurring issue with my driver side, front window as well. If you really have to close it because of rain/ snow/ etc. you can do it from the passenger side; Once you get out, go to the passenger side and climb over to move the driver's window up slightly, don't trigger the auto up function of the switch. If you move it manually up, it will stay up. Once you open the door or window, it still won't close again next time. This is only a workaround until they figure out what's wrong.
I've had them look at my window 4-5 times now. They've replaced the regulator, adjusted the window position, cleaned the seal and window and of course, they calibrated it each time but the problem still occurs. :confused:
side note, after the guy adjusted the window position, a lot of the wind noise coming from the driver's door went away! now I hear the noise mostly from the ceiling and passenger side.