Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base of driver's window sticking out - fixable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just picked up my car yesterday and washed it and the driver's window is poking out from the car enough it caught my sponge and ripped it out of my hand. It's hard to get a picture of, but it's letting water past the seal. The passenger side is not like this.

Is this an easily fixable adjustment or worth trying to return the car for (if I even can now)? No reply from my text yesterday, SC isn't open yet.

The top of the door sticks out a very small amount possibly, nothing like the window. And the top of the window doesn't stick out, so is it possible to just adjust the base of the window where it comes out of the door somewhere?

In the pics you can see the passenger side felt is pretty straight and the driver's side tries to bend back in because the glass is further out.

Attachments

• 20231031_175523.jpg
    20231031_175523.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20231031_181244.jpg
    20231031_181244.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231031_181257.jpg
    20231031_181257.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 55
Is this an easily fixable adjustment or worth trying to return the car for (if I even can now)

You cant (return the car), so you need to let that part of your thought process go. As for should you get it fixed, there is no reason I can think of that you shouldnt try to submit a service request for a window alignment that you say is passing water through the window seal.

Reactions: DanDi58
You cant (return the car), so you need to let that part of your thought process go. As for should you get it fixed, there is no reason I can think of that you shouldnt try to submit a service request for a window alignment that you say is passing water through the window seal.
I figured. Unfortunately, I tried to check what I could, and this wasn't mentioned in the check list I used. Hopefully it's fixable then.

I figured. Unfortunately, I tried to check what I could, and this wasn't mentioned in the check list I used. Hopefully it's fixable then.
If its passing water, I am confident its fixable to prevent it from passing water. Whether they can make it "flush" or not I have no idea, but I am sure they can fix it to prevent it from passing water.

If it isn't fixable, which is highly unlikely, then you would end up having to make a lemon law claim to get them to buy the vehicle back.
My current only option is to wait a week for mobile service to come, placing a service request through the app at least. I would rather it not come to any lemon law issue, but obviously frustrating on a new car and that I missed it yesterday.

It looks like it used to be easily adjustable, but haven't seen anyone successful on a newer car. Every mention of tesla service is not positive either, with almost every post mentioning they will break more things and likely not fix the issue, so it would be nice if I could just adjust it.

In your request, I would spray some water in the area to see if it is actually passing through to the interior. If it is, include the video in the service request. As far as lemon law, not sure how these things work in your state, but most states require three attempted repairs of an issue before you can even consider it. And I'm not sure whether something like this (which doesn't impact the drivability of the car) would even qualify. Give Tesla a chance to fix it. It's a shame that some people immediately bring up LL or getting a lawyer for what should be a relatively simple fix.

It's a shame that some people immediately bring up LL or getting a lawyer for what should be a relatively simple fix.
I'm the one that brought it up, but it was in response to the question about if it wasn't fixable. Not something that should be pursued right away.

And I'm not sure whether something like this (which doesn't impact the drivability of the car) would even qualify.

If it isn't fixable, and water is getting in I'm sure that would qualify, as the car being wet inside all the time would result in mold growth.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I took the door panel off, but it looks the same as the last one in the thread I posted. I don't see any obvious adjustment nuts. There is some damage to the paint, but doesn't look like the door is bent or anything. I'll just wait and let service look at it

Attachments

• 20231101_112026.jpg
    20231101_112026.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231101_112034.jpg
    20231101_112034.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 46
I have not seen that. The link just says I don't have access to the file though.
You probably just need to go to Tesla Service and create a subscription. (Which is free.)

That looks like how to adjust front/back and up/down direction, but I need to adjust it into the car. Then if I did that, I would have to tip the top out to make up for it.
I wondered about that, but it mentioned a flushness spec, so I assume that it could all be adjusted...

I didn't see instructions specifically for tile, but if it is like the Model S there are bolts that go into the bottom of the door that hold the window rails that can be loosened to adjust the tilt of the window. (For a while there was a lot of Model Ss where the passenger front window was tilted in making it hard to close the door, almost like the jig at the factory was setup wrong.)

If you are planning on taking it back and having Tesla do it, you should not be in there even looking at it, at least in my opinion. You are going to take it to them and say "I need you to fix this under warranty", so you dont want it to look like you are the cause of the issue by opening up stuff.

If you are not going to claim warranty on it, have at it, but if you are (like you should, in my opinion) there isnt any reason to be in there and possibly give them an out to say "we see evidence you accessed this because of X / Y / Z so we are not going to be able to cover it".

Not saying they will say that, but there isnt any reason to try to fix it yourself or even go in there if you are expecting them to fix it for free. Save that for them either not fixing it, or not fixing it to what you want, and them telling you "cant do any better, sorry". THEN have at it, going in there, etc.

It's easier to see with the doors open.
If you are planning on taking it back and having Tesla do it, you should not be in there even looking at it, at least in my opinion. You are going to take it to them and say "I need you to fix this under warranty", so you dont want it to look like you are the cause of the issue by opening up stuff.

If you are not going to claim warranty on it, have at it, but if you are (like you should, in my opinion) there isnt any reason to be in there and possibly give them an out to say "we see evidence you accessed this because of X / Y / Z so we are not going to be able to cover it".

Not saying they will say that, but there isnt any reason to try to fix it yourself or even go in there if you are expecting them to fix it for free. Save that for them either not fixing it, or not fixing it to what you want, and them telling you "cant do any better, sorry". THEN have at it, going in there, etc.
Yeah, I wanted to see if I could just easily adjust 2 bolts instead of waiting a week, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I sent them pictures the day I picked it and it's only 3 bolts holding the panel. I'll see what they say though.

Every mention of tesla service is not positive either, with almost every post mentioning they will break more things and likely not fix the issue, so it would be nice if I could just adjust it.
This is the result of an issue called "ascertainment bias". Basically pretty much only people who have had a bad experience bother to post about it, hence the appearance of a large fraction of reports being of bad experiences. You need to know something about the total numbers of interactions or do more controlled sampling to really know whether their service is significantly different to anyone else's.

Reactions: father_of_6
This is the result of an issue called "ascertainment bias". Basically pretty much only people who have had a bad experience bother to post about it, hence the appearance of a large fraction of reports being of bad experiences. You need to know something about the total numbers of interactions or do more controlled sampling to really know whether their service is significantly different to anyone else's.

There are some threads here where people say "I had great service", but because its positive feedback, it quickly sinks into the ether here. Negative feedback, however, for various different reasons, always is bumped up.

There are some threads here where people say "I had great service", but because its positive feedback, it quickly sinks into the ether here. Negative feedback, however, for various different reasons, always is bumped up.
Yep. And, when one thinks about it, it's kind of how people work. Somebody says, "I went past that rock and a Tiger darn near got me!" gets peoples' attention. Those who didn't think much about it got eaten, and they and their attitude are no longer around.

Exactly. I've only had my car in for service once (all of my minor issues have been fixed by Mobile Service) and have zero complaints about service in general. I usually get one particular tech out to my house who is great.

Reactions: father_of_6