Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger window rolls down when driver door is opened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough for me to rule out accidental pressing of some buttons. Both passenger windows (front and rear) have done it, but not at the same time. When I open the driver door (whether from the outside to get in, or from the inside to get out) one of the passenger windows rolls down a little (as if that door was opened).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a software glitch or a hardware issue?

Attachments

• IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Yes. Strange. I was having trouble catching when it happens. But now I think it does happen when I open the driver door. Worse case scenario is some bad wiring to the door that gets jostled when the door is opened? Or is it software bug that tells some other windows to drop when the driver opens the door?

All of your experiences sound normal to me after the recent winter weather software update.

People driving cars with frame-less windows often have a hard time entering the vehicle after freezing rain or a cold night outside in the snow. If the window does not release from the seal you have to decide whether to wait, scrape at visible ice on the rubber seal, or tug at the door hoping the trim and glass don't break when it releases. I dealt with #3 very often while driving an outdoor parked VW CC in Chicago.

The winter weather software update includes a feature where driver and passenger windows are rolled down a few millimeters to clear the surrounding trim when the car is locked. In the case that everything is frozen this would allow you to tug on the door without being concerned about damaging the window or surrounding trim when it finally releases.

Now, before you unlock your car both the driver's and passenger's window are rolled down a few millimeters. When you pull the driver's side door handle, the driver's window will roll down even more to release the door. When you close the door the driver's window will seal and the slightly opened passenger window will also seal.

Reactions: EVEnergy and Tomski
Well, I live in Miami. We don't have winter here. And my window, after rolling down, stays down.
I do not think Tesla software updates are climate specific. Not having this update would just increase the possibility of you getting stranded during a winter road trip, regardless of what city/state you call home.

What I was suggesting is that the only time the windows are closed and fully sealed is when you are in the car with the key. Prior to this update the window of the door being opened was either open (car unlocked, handle pulled) or closed (car locked, door closed). Post update, all of the windows are sealed shut when driving and partially open when parked and/or locked. The window on the door you are opening will open severely as you pull the handle. A lot of extra movement and noise due to the necessary movement of all 4 windows to enter or exit a single door and drive away.

I think I narrowed it down to a specific set of circumstances - phone bluetooth fails to connect to the car, and I go to the Tesla app and press unlock, then when I open the driver door and passenger window rolls down a little, and stays down even after I close the driver door.
Not sure what would happen if I start driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: ℬête Noire
The window buttons need a little more programming IMO. The slightest touch and they'll drop a bit. I think Tesla needs to add a slight delay so the button has to be depressed a for say .2 seconds before it actually starts lowering. As far as it lowering itself when another window is lowered, I haven't seen that. What I have seen is the window lowering itself when I first got the car when the temperature outside was really high. I think the pressure sensor activated because the glass expanded and increased the pressure on a closed window. I went though re-calibration process described in post #2 and that fixed it.

All of your experiences sound normal to me after the recent winter weather software update.

People driving cars with frame-less windows often have a hard time entering the vehicle after freezing rain or a cold night outside in the snow. If the window does not release from the seal you have to decide whether to wait, scrape at visible ice on the rubber seal, or tug at the door hoping the trim and glass don't break when it releases. I dealt with #3 very often while driving an outdoor parked VW CC in Chicago.

The winter weather software update includes a feature where driver and passenger windows are rolled down a few millimeters to clear the surrounding trim when the car is locked. In the case that everything is frozen this would allow you to tug on the door without being concerned about damaging the window or surrounding trim when it finally releases.

Now, before you unlock your car both the driver's and passenger's window are rolled down a few millimeters. When you pull the driver's side door handle, the driver's window will roll down even more to release the door. When you close the door the driver's window will seal and the slightly opened passenger window will also seal.

Yes, but It does the full shut when you hit the Brake Pedal, not when you shut the drivers door, just before you put it in drive. I hate it.

Also I suspect it's temperature dependent. Can't be 100% sure. If the temperatures are low it does the Windows Dance. If temps are high it behaves as it used to.

Same goes for the charge port lock. When cold it only locks when it's charging when it's cold out. But that has messed up a few times and gets confused if I plug in without charging.

I wish they would focus on bugs for a few months and stop adding new features. I'd love EAP on Stop lights, but I want the car to be ROCK SOLID on day to day stuff.

Yes, but It does the full shut when you hit the Brake Pedal, not when you shut the drivers door, just before you put it in drive. I hate it.

Also I suspect it's temperature dependent. Can't be 100% sure. If the temperatures are low it does the Windows Dance. If temps are high it behaves as it used to.

Same goes for the charge port lock. When cold it only locks when it's charging when it's cold out. But that has messed up a few times and gets confused if I plug in without charging.

I wish they would focus on bugs for a few months and stop adding new features. I'd love EAP on Stop lights, but I want the car to be ROCK SOLID on day to day stuff.
It sounds to me like you may have a loose connection somewhere. It expands when it's warm and reconnects, but shrinks when it's cold and disconnects partly. I'd go in for service.

I've had this intermittently since purchase almost 2 months ago. Once at a self serve car wash and sprayed water in the interior as I was rounding that side of the car. Now I check every time :)

Today I drove it from my garage, to another location about 4km away. Then about 5 minutes later drove it into their service bay indoors and heated. When I got out, the front passenger side window was down a few inches but also for the first time, the rear window was also down and about 3/4 of the way.

Will try re-calibrating.