Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing Porsche and Lambo at Laguna Seca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 3:40 and 5 time respectively. Not performance.

It's easy to pass poorly driven cars.

The SH*T you pulled at 3:40 is inexcusable.
You had almost caused an accident (you had to drop two wheels into the dirt to avoid contact).

Red mist + video camera on board == danger to everyone.
I hope you learned the right lessons from being shown the BLACK flag on track.

If you still think what you did was cool enough to brag about it on this forum - please reconsider, and seek help.
Until then, I hope to never share track, or public roads with you.

Hell I watched that not even considering track rules. Yes I tend to agree the Porsche was moving to his line and this could have caused a crash. As it was not a race bad form though a ban feels harsh. 1539 wh/mi lol! Hope you learn Dan. If you read his blog he is sorry.

You have passing rules on U.S. trackdays I assume?

Most of our days in the UK have a rule that you only pass on the outside and not in a corner. It's to avoid just this sort of thing from happening. Apart from anything, we have to remember our cars can't be heard approaching, so if the driver in front isn't good with their mirrors, you're more likely to surprise them than if you were in an ICE.

You have passing rules on U.S. trackdays I assume?

Most of our days in the UK have a rule that you only pass on the outside and not in a corner. It's to avoid just this sort of thing from happening. Apart from anything, we have to remember our cars can't be heard approaching, so if the driver in front isn't good with their mirrors, you're more likely to surprise them than if you were in an ICE.

But what about the SR+ only lasting 2 laps before boiling up? Is this expected performance?

But what about the SR+ only lasting 2 laps before boiling up? Is this expected performance?

Yes, absolutely. A M3P+ with stock pads etc. doesn't do much better at a track with a lot of heavy braking required, so an SR is going to suck big time. Not only that, but he said in his blog he had the regen on low. Why would you do that knowing the brakes are likely to be marginal?

• Informative
Reactions: CertLive
It's easy to pass poorly driven cars.

The SH*T you pulled at 3:40 is inexcusable.
You had almost caused an accident (you had to drop two wheels into the dirt to avoid contact).

Red mist + video camera on board == danger to everyone.
I hope you learned the right lessons from being shown the BLACK flag on track.

If you still think what you did was cool enough to brag about it on this forum - please reconsider, and seek help.
Until then, I hope to never share track, or public roads with you.

Honest question:

The Porsche driver wasn’t very good. He attempted to pass on the outside and on a straightaway, which is what you’re supposed to do. It looked like (to me) the Porsche driver moved to the outside without checking and that’s why he went in the dirt to avoid the collision.

My question is was that a track specific section where you’re not supposed to pass? Did he he need to wait for a wave by?

If I was that Porsche driver and saw a car on me like that I would’ve stayed on my line and slowed down to allow the driver from the rear to overtake me in that straight area, not go wide and setup for the next turn. It was clear he was overmatched.

The porsche driver should’ve been black flagged for that horrible exit out of that turn, lol. That’s what almost caused the accident.

Honest question:

The Porsche driver wasn’t very good. He attempted to pass on the outside and on a straightaway, which is what you’re supposed to do. It looked like (to me) the Porsche driver moved to the outside without checking and that’s why he went in the dirt to avoid the collision.

My question is was that a track specific section where you’re not supposed to pass? Did he he need to wait for a wave by?

If I was that Porsche driver and saw a car on me like that I would’ve stayed on my line and slowed down to allow the driver from the rear to overtake me in that straight area, not go wide and setup for the next turn. It was clear he was overmatched.

The porsche driver should’ve been black flagged for that horrible exit out of that turn, lol. That’s what almost caused the accident.

If it was a race I would say go for it but I think also the guy in the Porsche was quite erratic as well. Was he banned for the video post though?

If it was a race I would say go for it but I think also the guy in the Porsche was quite erratic as well. Was he banned for the video post though?

If you're catching an erratic driver, the last thing you want to do is risk an overtake in a place they wouldn't expect. The OP was assuming he'd see him, which is not a sensible assumption to make.

If that had ended in a coming together it would have been 100% the OPs fault. It's why he got a black flag.

I think he may have been banned from the forum for other comments he was making on a Coronavirus thread...

• Informative
Reactions: CertLive
What is this thing he has strapped to the steering wheel?

thing1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Technically, the pass was made after the corkscrew. Regardless, that was some reckless driving by both cars but more so the Tesla. I'm not sure which club he ran with, but most of them allow passing anywhere on track for its top group only. The lowest groups passing is allowed only in straights and only with a point-by, which I didn't see any of in the video. Looks like a club for owners of expensive toys just wanting to have some fun track time and bringing it back in one piece, not after lap records.

The driver was pulling a Zanardi. Okay, not really, Alex passed Herta in the dirt coming down the Corkscrew, but still.

That Porsche driver was dawdling in the middle of the track and braked for the 'screw before the brake zone signboards. I could easily see how a trailing driver could think the Porsche was letting him by coming out of the 'screw on exit. The Porsche had swung all the way to the left, when the line on exit was to the right, where the Tesla went. Weird.