TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Paying for your car...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ozymandius100, May 5, 2018.

1. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

For those that have already gone through the process, how seamless is using the ACH function on the website to pay for the car? How far in advance did you do it? I am getting my car on Tuesday and wondering if I should just wait until that morning to initiate the transfer, or do it sooner.

What is everyone’s experience. I don’t want things held up at the time of delivery....

2. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

ACH typically needs business 3 days to clear.

3. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

As a followup, has anyone paid with a personal check before? Issues?

4. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

Per other threads, cashier's check only. They used to take personal checks, not anymore.

Saw someone say they did an electronic transfer @ their delivery appointment while the Tesla person watched, and that was apparently sufficient.

5. hacer

hacer Member

I bought both my Tesla's with personal check written at the delivery. No problems at all.

• Disagree x 1
  6. hacer

hacer Member

I bought the 3 with a personal check on Feb 3, 2018. At that time they were happy to accept my personal check. I've not heard about any policy change. When did it change?

7. MistaEV

MistaEV Member

I doubt that he would know as he is only referencing other threads on the board where it was mentioned. I saw the thread myself, however, I could not tell you where it is at, nor the subject line. That said, I got the cashier's check because I prefer not to write checks that large off my account.

• Like x 1
  8. Foxtrotter

Foxtrotter Member

Got our 3 on April 26 with two days warning it was in town. They would only take a cashier's check. Explicitly said no personal checks and there wasn't enough time for ACH.

• Informative x 2
  9. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

I just called the dealership and they said either personal check/cashier check or ACH on the day of delivery is fine. I guess it’s all depending on each local dealership.

10. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Where does the ACH show up in your account on Tesla website ? Is it under your account / payment methods (next to the credit card) ?

11. Omaha

Omaha Member

ACH is what I did. It was only activated three days before my delivery, so there wasn't even enough time for the transaction to post, but Tesla didn't care. It'll be very obvious on your account screen once your rep has enabled payment. I specifically asked for it to be opened up, thinking they'd want the transaction to clear before handing over the car. Didn't matter though and things went off like a charm

• Informative x 1
  12. Fusion

Fusion Member

I picked up in Fremont and was told that they no longer accept personal checks. They used to but not anymore.

• Informative x 1
  13. shrike

shrike Member

Making an ACH payment is simple. Just go to your Tesla account, and fill in the bank info.

My payment took 2 days to post. Picking up my car on Tue.

• Informative x 1
  14. fazluke

fazluke Member

Just paid for my M3, instruction were electronic transfer or cashier check with 3 business days prior to delivery. Transfer through Tesla account was very easy, basic personal info and bank account info.

15. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

Where did you see the instructions saying three days before delivery? I am getting conflicting info from Tesla and my ISA all but disappeared. I am also picking up on Tuesday. I haven’t issued payment yet.

16. fazluke

fazluke Member

That was ISA over the phone, if you check your Tesla account where you configured, you will see more details and you can pay there.

17. TheRealM3

TheRealM3 Member

I made the ACH payment late afternoon the day b4 delivery. The payment gets updated by Tesla instantaneously while it may get debited from your account a day or two later.

18. MKurzdorfer

MKurzdorfer New Member

Agreed. I had the same experience this weekend.