Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment b4 delivery in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto dealerships don't decide the rules, elected representatives do. There are a lot more Texans who think the government shouldn't stand in the way of consenting business partners than there are auto dealers who don't want the rule changed.

Maybe, but Texans who think government shouldn't stand in the way of consenting business partners don't bribe the elected representatives as much as Auto dealerships do

...sorry did I say "bribe"? I meant lobby

@StealthP3D
I sure hate for this to be my first post but I thought I'd be able to join this forum without seeing others speaking negatively about other peoples home states but I guess I was mistaken. There sure are quite a few businesses abandoning the left coast and moving to Texas, I wonder why?? They sure wouldn't be doing that if Texas was so unfriendly towards businesses would they?. Not sure where you get that Texas government is a "national disgrace". I'll take Texas over WA ANY day. A "backwards state"?? Hey at least we're grown up enough that Texas allows us to pump our own gas. lol. If you don't like Texas or Texans fine(FYI: the feeling is mutual for WA and most of the left coast yet they're sure moving here by the thousands) so it'd be nice if you kept your Texas bashing to yourself...

Reactions: henderrj
That's what I'm wondering as well, I am paying cash for the car and planned on bringing a certified bank check but some have said you have to pay prior to it shipping. I'm also hoping I am able to do an ACH for that much money, haven't ever used ACH for in that high of an amount before.

Reactions: Abraham
That's what I'm wondering as well, I am paying cash for the car and planned on bringing a certified bank check but some have said you have to pay prior to it shipping. I'm also hoping I am able to do an ACH for that much money, haven't ever used ACH for in that high of an amount before.
Yeah would be cool if we can do it all right there in the app. Btw, check your bank’s ACH daily limits, just in case.

Hey guys, has anyone done the ACH via the app right before accepting delivery? Like as you’re standing there next to it?

Yeah would be cool if we can do it all right there in the app. Btw, check your bank’s ACH daily limits, just in case.

Hey y’all, what’s the latest anyone has paid via ACH or Plaid before accepting delivery? Has anyone done it after arriving for your appointment and seeing your car on the lot?
Ok so I was able to answer this myself today. No issues with not paying until I saw my new Tesla. I was even a few minutes late into the appointment. After inspecting the outside, I hit Pay and the ACH went through instantly. Accepted delivery right after, and my app updated to the owner style pages.

Ok so I was able to answer this myself today. No issues with not paying until I saw my new Tesla. I was even a few minutes late into the appointment. After inspecting the outside, I hit Pay and the ACH went through instantly. Accepted delivery right after, and my app updated to the owner style pages.
Hmmm, I guess no issue taking delivery in Texas? I guess someone worked out a "deal" allowing it? I remember a while back, there was some issues with Texas? True? No so true? But good, for you, you had no problems.

Hmmm, I guess no issue taking delivery in Texas? I guess someone worked out a "deal" allowing it? I remember a while back, there was some issues with Texas? True? No so true? But good, for you, you had no problems.
Thanks! Technically, an automaker cannot directly sell cars in Texas, thanks to a stupid law passed by the dealership lobby here. But they are allowed to “ship” the car in after full payment. I guess the exact timing is allowed some leeway. However, it’s because of this law that we cannot inspect the interior until we make full payment.

Reactions: Akikiki
I still don't understand why Elon the Master Strategist didn't tell the legislature "We're thinking of moving our headquarters which in turn will move an entire industry to your state, but there's this small matter of a pesky rule about dealerships. Perhaps if we could have a quiet chat about that first . . ."

And what
I still don't understand why Elon the Master Strategist didn't tell the legislature "We're thinking of moving our headquarters which in turn will move an entire industry to your state, but there's this small matter of a pesky rule about dealerships. Perhaps if we could have a quiet chat about that first . . ."
And what leads you to believe that he did not tell the legislature that? And it looks like it made no difference? Looks like they ignored him, if he did tell them. As outspoken as EM is, I have no doubt he attempted to persuade and maybe some arm twisting to fix the dealership in Texas. Simply because we didn't hear of it, doesn't mean he didn't try.

We know EM puts no money into advertising, and while I think none of us personal can vouch for this:, I don't think he spends much or anything on lobbyists. And lobbyist are what keeps the dealership model active in the states.

As average citizen/taxpayers, there's a way to get your legislature's attention if you are serious. Its one of those cut off your nose to spite your face things though. People taking delivery of a new Tesla in Texas, could go to LA, or OK, or NM and take delivery, register their car/pay the sale tax there. Yes, of course when they re-register in TX, they have to pay sales tax again. You don't pay the same amount, you pay the difference since you have already paid in the other state. But I've done this in AL and TN. This buying out of state and bring back to you home state doesn't apply to just autos. Its other large ticket items, But has no visibility to your tax department, if there's no money trail such as required registration.

So, a Texan would deny a large part of that sales tax to their state - Texas by paying it in another state. Its legal. Then you inform your legislative representative and state senator what you did, and why. Too late for them to do anything to you. One person won't make a difference. And "if you got your car, most people aren't going to care about the next person". But if there was a campaign to fix this, something would change. The legislature would see the drain on the revenue and if that loss revenue was significant it might give the legislature cause to re-consider the non-dealer auto sales model so freedom. Its not a perfect solution, but it will like raise some eyebrows in the legislature.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji and Abraham
And what leads you to believe that he did not tell the legislature that? And it looks like it made no difference? Looks like they ignored him, if he did tell them. As outspoken as EM is, I have no doubt he attempted to persuade and maybe some arm twisting to fix the dealership in Texas. Simply because we didn't hear of it, doesn't mean he didn't try.

Well it would be pretty self defeating to ask them, get ignored, then move there anyway

This is not a small matter we're talking about. It could make Texas the centre of an entire industry, much like say Delaware is to credit cards and Connecticut is to medical, NYC to finance etc