Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are replacement 12v batteries covered by any warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only paid for 1 tow and never again. Make tesla pay for the rest.

AAA won't cover long distance towing. This is 3.5-4 hour towing.

So the latest is service center overtightened/damaged my fuse box and broke the 12v battery and fuse box and other hardware. So it needs replacing but they apparently don't make parts for the old cars anymore so my repair is indefinitely on hold. It's covered by warranty but they aren't making the parts so it's just sitting in my garage until they can source one from a scrap trade in or something. Tesla is so weird.

Meanwhile my warranty is ticking away, the car sits and sits and sits. Been broken by Tesla under warranty with failed repairs for 6 of the past 12 months now.

But they won't offer me a decent trade in on a new car of course because that would be common sense.

So the car is just rotting for now. And everything that comes up with it will be added onto Tesla's bill. They're spending tens of thousands on my car at this point and it's still not running. They just aren't doing any of this right.

When car first had issues from the update and they wanted to replace the battery they needed to just be upfront and offer me a great trade in value and not even start this circus of failed repairs and warranties. But this is here we are.

Once you have the 12V battery replaced, Tesla will warranty it for 30 months. I just had one replaced by mobile service $119 total in 2018 model 3. Great experience.
Do you have anything I could reference regarding 30 month 12V warranty? My mother's M3 (on my Tesla account) just got a 12V battery warning, and that the vehicle software wouldn't update til it's replaced. Thing is, Tesla Service replaced the 12V battery only 18 months ago, though it was covered under the Vehicle Warranty since it was only 3 years old then - so I don't know what the new battery would be failing so quickly.

I don't want to risk them being stranded since they're elderly and I don't live nearby, so I scheduled mobile service. Last time, the car was behaving very weirdly until we figured out it was the 12V battery failing - including the car not sleeping, and losing 4-5% of charge every day.

Do you have anything I could reference regarding 30 month 12V warranty? My mother's M3 (on my Tesla account) just got a 12V battery warning, and that the vehicle software wouldn't update til it's replaced. Thing is, Tesla Service replaced the 12V battery only 18 months ago, though it was covered under the Vehicle Warranty since it was only 3 years old then - so I don't know what the new battery would be failing so quickly.

I don't want to risk them being stranded since they're elderly and I don't live nearby, so I scheduled mobile service. Last time, the car was behaving very weirdly until we figured out it was the 12V battery failing - including the car not sleeping, and losing 4-5% of charge every day.
Thats what I was told by the mobile service guy. Thats all that I have.

Thats what I was told by the mobile service guy. Thats all that I have.
Direct from Tesla’s service invoice:

Tesla-branded parts purchased directly from Tesla over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service are covered
under the Tesla Parts, Body, and Paint Repair Limited Warranty for a period of 12 months subject to the applicable terms, conditions

and exclusions and available at https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty;

Direct from Tesla’s service invoice:

Tesla-branded parts purchased directly from Tesla over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service are covered
under the Tesla Parts, Body, and Paint Repair Limited Warranty for a period of 12 months subject to the applicable terms, conditions

and exclusions and available at https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty;
I do not think the battery is Tesla-branded, so this warranty would not apply. If you buy new tires from Tesla, Tesla does not warranty them either.

This 12V lead acid battery is a known issue. They tend to go out in just a couple years.
Tesla has developed a solution for their newer production, where they designed a lighter weight compact 16V Lithium Ion battery.

Lots of posters have stated that their batteries were covered under warranty, or priced at about $125. Pretty easy to install yourself. They might even be able to ship you one. Ranger service also is very reasonable for this repair.

Glad that the OP found the solution to his battery issue.

The original 12v battery is covered under the original 3 year/50k mile warranty. Replacements are covered for 12 months.
I had one replaced in my 2019 Model S by mobile service last June out of warranty. The labor cost was $54. More than worth it to not have to go buy the right battery, replace it myself and then bring the old battery back to recycle. I’m a pretty big DIY person, but $54 to have someone else install it in my garage was a no-brainer.

Reactions: tldickerson