Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peddle to the floor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,

A couple of times - I have put the peddle the the floor and the car has not shot forward, but been more like in the ICE cars when there is no fuel in the car - hence a lack of power.

Has anyone else had this? - I had 86% battery today when I tried it (was trying to get in front of a car safely) - I tried to pick up, but the power was not there for about 2 secs.

Any ideas as to why?

Cheers

After those two seconds did it respond fully? Or was it a gradual increase of power?

Do you ever switch between normal and chill modes? Chill mode is very chill.

It might also be due to cold battery versus warm battery. Cold batteries transfer power more slowly. After the battery warms up power will flow near instantaneously.

Hey there,

A couple of times - I have put the peddle the the floor and the car has not shot forward, but been more like in the ICE cars when there is no fuel in the car - hence a lack of power.

Has anyone else had this? - I had 86% battery today when I tried it (was trying to get in front of a car safely) - I tried to pick up, but the power was not there for about 2 secs.

Any ideas as to why?

Cheers
Ive had it. I assume it's the obstacle aware acceleration thing. Usually happens at a roundabout where I'm turning right so the car's essentially pointing at the central reservation when I floor it. It has shown me how used I have got to squeezing into tiny gaps and it's a bit pant-wetting when it happens and you don't have the same va va voom

After those two seconds did it respond fully? Or was it a gradual increase of power?

Do you ever switch between normal and chill modes? Chill mode is very chill.

It might also be due to cold battery versus warm battery. Cold batteries transfer power more slowly. After the battery warms up power will flow near instantaneously.
Thanks for the info - It kind of responded slower than normal. Normally, you put your foot down the car shifts, this time round after the 2 seconds it gradually got up to speed - not instant like before

it was not cold battery the first time It happened - just now, it is 1c so maybe because the battery is cold.

Ill check chill mode - but to my knowledge, I have never change it to chill mode. Will have to check.

Ive had it. I assume it's the obstacle aware acceleration thing. Usually happens at a roundabout where I'm turning right so the car's essentially pointing at the central reservation when I floor it. It has shown me how used I have got to squeezing into tiny gaps and it's a bit pant-wetting when it happens and you don't have the same va va voom
That could be it, maybe it thinks there is an obstacle or something? although the first time it happened, it was a straight road (albeit cars parked on either side)

That could be it, maybe it thinks there is an obstacle or something? although the first time it happened, it was a straight road (albeit cars parked on either side)

Reactions: Billionaireboy
it was not cold battery the first time It happened - just now, it is 1c so maybe because the battery is cold.
Though the obstacle aware business is the most likely you will also find that if you are on summer tyres and it’s that cold (and on a less than perfect surface) the traction control will do it’s thing. That’s always better than spinning off the road!

I use chill mode for probably 99% of my driving, it’s just a far nicer driving experience than being on a hair trigger all the time. Whilst it’s still occasional fun, the novelty of performance that is mostly not that sensibly useable in day to day driving wore off some time ago.

ah it was the regen braking option they removed.

Not on older cars, it remains an option.

After having a discussion with Tesla about brake squeal, since lockdown I continue to use low regen to keep the brakes in good condition as they get used a bit more - they did get 'less shiny' when car was not being used much during lockdown. swmbo still uses standard. I prefer standard mode too, but the brakes have remained in good condition condition so will keep using it - I can't be bothered with swapping between the two modes. I've not noticed any noticeable difference in efficiency as the brakes are generally only gently applied in the final few meters at a junction.

Reactions: Adopado