Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling covering on brake rotor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2012.jpeg

Hi.

There is this covering thats over my break rotors near where the bolts are that is chipping off. Its like a paint layer? Is this to be expected lol?

Weird. I always thought the hubs were bare aluminum but now that I look more closely, it seems they may have a coat of aluminum-ish paint around the visible portion. Still strange that yours discolored and flaked off like that though, have they been overheated?

View attachment 928849
nah. I noticed this happening about a month or two after I got car. No tracking, use mostly regen. Looks like paint or whatever they used maybe didnt cure right.

Performance models have 2-piece rotors @nate704

So I just went out and took this pic of mine at exactly 2yrs/20K miles. No signs of paint peeling but I do have a lot of browning which does not seem to wipe clean. I suspect it's iron from the rotor that has rust-stained the painted aluminum. It's clearly biased towards the leading edge of each spline.

I do use the brakes sometimes and there is a noticeable lip around the edge of the rotor, I'd guesstimate that the rotor is about 1mm thinner than new. But what might be unusual is that I haven't ever washed the wheels, I just give them a squirt from the hose when I'm washing the car but no soap or scrubbing - they stay perfectly clean on their own. Perhaps some wheel cleaner you're using has attacked the paint?

1681686468387.png

Reactions: nate704
Performance models have 2-piece rotors @nate704

So I just went out and took this pic of mine at exactly 2yrs/20K miles. No signs of paint peeling but I do have a lot of browning which does not seem to wipe clean. I suspect it's iron from the rotor that has rust-stained the painted aluminum.

View attachment 929041
I made a service request. I'll see what they say. Probably "it's within spec"

The aluminum won't ever rust and once that paint finishes flaking off it'll look mostly good as new. It might even look better than new because at least the bare aluminum won't get stained by rusty iron dust.

Also, brake rotors are almost always painted or plated to prevent corrosion but it never lasts long. So as bad as your flaking paint looks, it's not that much different from a typical rusty rotor and Tesla will likely scoff at the cosmetic warranty claim. You might want to just ask them to wire-brush the rest of the paint off and call it good.

What is the car's age and what wheel cleaners/coatings have been used?

Reactions: rpiotro
The aluminum won't ever rust and once that paint finishes flaking off it'll look mostly good as new. It might even look better than new because at least the bare aluminum won't get stained by rusty iron dust.

Also, brake rotors are almost always painted or plated to prevent corrosion but it never lasts long. So as bad as your flaking paint looks, it's not that much different from a typical rusty rotor and Tesla will likely scoff at the cosmetic warranty claim. You might want to just ask them to wire-brush the rest of the paint off and call it good.

What is the car's age and what wheel cleaners/coatings have been used?
I got it in november. I had ceramic coating put on the rims to make them easier to clean. I use a detail spray to wash the spokes but thats about it. I dont overspray into it I don't think, and I definitely don't spray anything on the rotors/calipers themselves. The car has been pretty good otherwise aside from my MCU basically didn't work from when I received the car. It was drivable but tacc, and autopilot didn't work (fixed under warranty).

I have seen that if people use like brake degreaser or some kind of prep for painting rotors that it takes this coating right off.

Reactions: Rmchrger
The regen prevent the heat from cleaning the rusts on the rotors. Make sure, every so often during the colder and winter months to put regen to low so that it can heat up the rotors to prevent rust.
On the m3p I don't think I can set it low/high. I have it set so the brakes are blended it w/ low regen modes and I try to use brakes a bit to keep rust off. Maybe I'm a bit too good at timing the regen during turns/stops.

The regen prevent the heat from cleaning the rusts on the rotors. Make sure, every so often during the colder and winter months to put regen to low so that it can heat up the rotors to prevent rust.
Heat does not clean or prevent rust, plus the area he is describing is purposely designed to not transfer heat from the main rotor disc.

Reactions: afadeev and nate704