Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People parking next to me while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here I am charging at 1015pm . There's 12 charging station here and about 5 cars charging. So I was here charging for about 10 minutes until this idiot comes park next ro me to charge. All these available stalls and wants to park next to me. I think it does say on the charger setting TIPS: something give spacing when charging using a b stalls. He gets a Tesla and doesn't understand that charging next ro someone will increase both cars time and lower the charging speed. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Don't these guys read their manuals.. I mean its there for a reason. To know and understand your car and other stuff to have knowledge.

Not sure why people are using words like "confront". It's not like you have to just walk up to them and tell them to eff off to another charger, it is, after all, also possible to strike up a conversation (suggestions include the weather and avoiding politics and religion) and then gently slide in something like "Hey I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but next time you come here, if you find a charger with nobody next to it, you'll get a faster charge"

they say "really is that so?"

Then you can mention the sharing property of the chargers, and if it's a girl ... sorry a woman, you can mansplain the difference between V2 and V3 and how to identify each type

...don't do this in Texas though because everyone carries a gun. Often several guns

How is it "their ignorance"? They can park anywhere as you can. Don't like it? Move your car. So you are willing suffer just to get even with someone? Do you think they realize that or care? nope.
The cars now give you tips when approaching high use superchargers. If one bothers to read it, they’ll understand spacing and charging speeds correlation.

Not sure why people are using words like "confront". It's not like you have to just walk up to them and tell them to eff off to another charger, it is, after all, also possible to strike up a conversation (suggestions include the weather and avoiding politics and religion) and then gently slide in something like "Hey I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but next time you come here, if you find a charger with nobody next to it, you'll get a faster charge"

they say "really is that so?"

Then you can mention the sharing property of the chargers, and if it's a girl ... sorry a woman, you can mansplain the difference between V2 and V3 and how to identify each type

...don't do this in Texas though because everyone carries a gun. Often several guns
Don’t do it In CA either if it’s a blue Model X, you may get bashed with a pipe.

On a similar note, many hotels now has free L2 charging for customers but a lot of new EV drivers are treating these stalls as exclusive "parking" for EVs. Let me explain, they will connect their EV and charge them but leave them at the stall even after the EVs are fully charged, sometimes for over 24 hours; essentially using it as their private parking stall. The attached photos of a new Tesla parked at a L2 stall illustrate this disturbing trend. We are at an upscale resort but it has only one Tesla L2. There are at least 10 Teslas and another 15 or so various EVs waiting for this stall. This particular Tesla has been there for over 18 hours and counting. It has reach the set charging limit over 8 hours ago (you can tell from the L2 charger) It has essentially created it's own private stall. Annoying...

Attachments

• 20230325_072007.jpg
    20230325_072007.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Disagree
Reactions: yellowr6
RayzorEV: Have your "upscale resort" call a tow company. They know how to do that!
Tried that but they refused, bro. Apparently this is happening a lot. They did, however, mentioned it to management and they will be instituting a new policy where there will be no parking there unless actively charging and customers must disclose their license plate #, just in case of emergency such as the vehicle had just been vandalized...😙

Reactions: Pianewman
There is an easy way to stop it. Create a system to charge users for being idle at the chargers. This will be important with more and more EV on the roads.
I'm not sure who owns the Tesla Destination Charger at this hotel but as far as I have encountered at many different hotels that have them, they are all free for any EV drivers to use, unlike the Tesla Supercharging network, Electrify America, and others, where idle fees will be assessed after the grace period expires.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm not sure who owns the Tesla Destination Charger at this hotel but as far as I have encountered at many different hotels that have them, they are all free for any EV drivers to use, unlike the Tesla Supercharging network, Electrify America, and others, where idle fees will be assessed after the grace period expires.
Maybe we should all carry window flyers pointing out the error of their way. It shouldn't be rude.

Reactions: RayzorEV
Here I am charging at 1015pm . There's 12 charging station here and about 5 cars charging. So I was here charging for about 10 minutes until this idiot comes park next ro me to charge. All these available stalls and wants to park next to me. I think it does say on the charger setting TIPS: something give spacing when charging using a b stalls. He gets a Tesla and doesn't understand that charging next ro someone will increase both cars time and lower the charging speed. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Don't these guys read their manuals.. I mean its there for a reason. To know and understand your car and other stuff to have knowledge.
And to think that instead of complaining anonymously on TMC, you could have more easily politely educated our fellow TESLA owner and likely new entrant with much greater effect. There is a lot to learn about EV's and TESLA's, in general. Not everyone is going to put in the time and energy that many of us on here have, but continuing to share knowledge will grow the customer base, build the brand, and likely raise the stock price.

I'm pretty sure the owner of the property owns the charger. Tesla installs the charger free. The property owner should be able to set policies on this type of thing.

As more and more EV owners show up they will need to implement something. Otherwise it's useless to have the chargers there.

The hotels we stayed at in Boston had chargepoint units. It was $1 per hour. Those worked very well. Folks would charge and then move on.

Another way to do it would be to require every vehicle to have a parking pass to park in the property. Then, if a car is reported idling hotel manager could call the person and tell them to move or be charged and idle fee.

How is it "their ignorance"? They can park anywhere as you can. Don't like it? Move your car. So you are willing suffer just to get even with someone? Do you think they realize that or care? nope.
It is "their ignorance" because it is obviously something they do not know, for who in their right mind would decide to charge at half speed and cause another TESLA owner to do the same on purpose???? Where I come from, we call that ignorance, but this can easily and politely be corrected by striking up a friendly conversation instead of taking offense at their ignorance. In short, they don't know what they don't know.

It is "their ignorance" because it is obviously something they do not know, for who in their right mind would decide to charge at half speed and cause another TESLA owner to do the same on purpose???? Where I come from, we call that ignorance, but this can easily and politely be corrected by striking up a friendly conversation instead of taking offense at their ignorance. In short, they don't know what they don't know.
Where I come from, deciding what others do or don't do based on your liking is ignorance.

• Funny
Question.

if A Tesla is plug in to A TESLA wall charger and finish charging (Showing blue). Let’s say someone called the tow company and they actually came out. How can u unplug the tesla? U will either F up the charger or the charge port , so what can u do?

so we had liked 8 free tesla wall charger at the mall near me. It’s in a mall parking lot. It was free for a good year or two. Sign only say, for Tesla only. I used the gym there so I can charge for 1-2 hr.

so u get these apartment ppl across the street using it and not moving it after “blue”. U get Uber drivers leaving it there for hours and sleeping inside. U can ppl living nearby using it and having their partners picking them up, also not moving it after blue. U get ppl that own a few tesla using it and just switching cars when finish charging. And u get ppl leaving their tesla there and Ubering to the airport and coming back after their trips. Since the airport is 5 min away

so the mall finally decide to install a meter to start charging us. Not much, $0.30 per kwh. Now u can finally find a spot to charge while going to the mall or gym.

yea, thx for those inconsiderate users and now everyone else need to pay. But again, maybe it was the mall plan all along to charge us. They were just lagging. 🤔

And to think that instead of complaining anonymously on TMC, you could have more easily politely educated our fellow TESLA owner and likely new entrant with much greater effect.
Educate them? Not my task! I would have opened my glovebox, if I could remember how to open my glovebox, pulled out my Tesla gloves, marched straight over to said miscreant, and symbolically if not with some effect, slapped them across the face. "Take that, Sir, for your troubles!" "Insult my honor, will you? Tomorrow at sunup, Teslas at 20 paces!" And let that be a lesson to all........