Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People parking next to me while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here I am charging at 1015pm . There's 12 charging station here and about 5 cars charging. So I was here charging for about 10 minutes until this idiot comes park next ro me to charge. All these available stalls and wants to park next to me. I think it does say on the charger setting TIPS: something give spacing when charging using a b stalls. He gets a Tesla and doesn't understand that charging next ro someone will increase both cars time and lower the charging speed. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Don't these guys read their manuals.. I mean its there for a reason. To know and understand your car and other stuff to have knowledge.

Educate them? Not my task! I would have opened my glovebox, if I could remember how to open my glovebox, pulled out my Tesla gloves, marched straight over to said miscreant, and symbolically if not with some effect, slapped them across the face. "Take that, Sir, for your troubles!" "Insult my honor, will you? Tomorrow at sunup, Teslas at 20 paces!" And let that be a lesson to all........
I think striking up a conversation or simply moving stalls would be the most fruitful options. 😂

I frequent a destination charger at a hotel in Idaho. I call ahead to have them put a cone out for me. There are 2 spots and 2 chargers for EV's, but if you don't call ahead - both spots will be ICED (even though they are clearly marked for EV use ONLY.) The last visit there I arrived at about 10:30pm and there was one spot ICED (of course) and my reserved spot that still had the cone. But I noticed that just around the corner was another Tesla that the charge cord could reach - and was plugged in and charging. After I plugged in, I noticed that it would only charge to about 20 amps. It was obvious it was a shared connection. So I cranked my charge down to 5 amps so I could make sure my fellow Tesla driver could get a full charge before they left. In the morning at about 6:00 am I looked out the window and saw the the other Tesla was gone so I cranked it up to full output, and left a few hours later with a 90 % charge. Proper etiquette? Not sure... but I tried. (On a side note, If I arrive after 10pm or so, with a low charge, I would be dammed if I would get up at 3am to go out and move my car. Bad etiquette? Don't know...)

Question.

if A Tesla is plug in to A TESLA wall charger and finish charging (Showing blue). Let’s say someone called the tow company and they actually came out. How can u unplug the tesla? U will either F up the charger or the charge port , so what can u do?
Nothing you can do, IMO. (At least not w/o damaging someone's property in the process. It's just not worth it.)

I frequent a destination charger at a hotel in Idaho. I call ahead to have them put a cone out for me. There are 2 spots and 2 chargers for EV's, but if you don't call ahead - both spots will be ICED (even though they are clearly marked for EV use ONLY.) The last visit there I arrived at about 10:30pm and there was one spot ICED (of course) and my reserved spot that still had the cone. But I noticed that just around the corner was another Tesla that the charge cord could reach - and was plugged in and charging. After I plugged in, I noticed that it would only charge to about 20 amps. It was obvious it was a shared connection. So I cranked my charge down to 5 amps so I could make sure my fellow Tesla driver could get a full charge before they left. In the morning at about 6:00 am I looked out the window and saw the the other Tesla was gone so I cranked it up to full output, and left a few hours later with a 90 % charge. Proper etiquette? Not sure... but I tried. (On a side note, If I arrive after 10pm or so, with a low charge, I would be dammed if I would get up at 3am to go out and move my car. Bad etiquette? Don't know...)
My recollection is that a second car plugged in, even if not charging, drops the other one by 8a, so I think that there is no point to dialing it lower than that. I personally wouldn't have bothered, both because I figure anyone plugged in that late is probably there overnight, and because I'm way too likely to forget to dial it back up in the morning.

Edit: Another way to accomplish that automatically, would have been to enable scheduled charging and set it to start early in the AM or scheduled departure.

Curious which hotel in Idaho—may I ask…????

It is "their ignorance" because it is obviously something they do not know, for who in their right mind would decide to charge at half speed and cause another TESLA owner to do the same on purpose???? Where I come from, we call that ignorance, but this can easily and politely be corrected by striking up a friendly conversation instead of taking offense at their ignorance. In short, they don't know what they don't know.
If only the driver can be located. Neither myself or the hotel has any idea who the driver is. I have never seen or met the driver during the 18+ hours that it was there. Mind you that the charger showed that this Tesla had reach its set charge limit when I came back at 1am. Who knows how long it's been fully charged before than. I woke up at 5am and it was still parked there. It finally disappeared 18+ hours later.

Hey, look on the bright side, just wait until you have to deal with these guys. 😎

1680142123367.png

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
This same thing happens to me all the time at the urinals. I'll be at stall #1 with no one else in the bathroom, and some big hairy guy will come in and use stall #2. *Obviously*, this means we're both sharing the same drain pipe... eww.

What I usually do in this case is a full body turn towards the offender, yellow stream still emanating from my mid-section. Then I say, "didn't you read the manual?"... but they never read the manual.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hey, look on the bright side, just wait until you have to deal with these guys. 😎

View attachment 922867

Many Supercharging locations in NY state are now open to non-Tesla vehicles... there's a link in the app that maps them all. This is likely to become a common scene.

I'm not making excuses for the driver of this truck, but I suspect that the cord doesn't even reach unless it's parked like this. *THIS* is why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Many Supercharging locations in NY state are now open to non-Tesla vehicles... there's a link in the app that maps them all. This is likely to become a common scene.

I'm not making excuses for the driver of this truck, but I suspect that the cord doesn't even reach unless it's parked like this. *THIS* is why we can't have nice things.
Yeah—I don’t care. He gets no pass, as far as I’m concerned. I would confront that A-hole all day long. I paid for those TESLA SC stalls. You didn’t. Move along.

Reactions: HitchHiker71