Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Per kWh pricing in New England

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally Massachusetts and Maine used per kWh pricing, while Connecticut, New Hampshire and Vermont all used per minute pricing. I yesterday looked in the car map and to my surprise, all the latter states have switched to per kWh pricing. It also looks the effective prices have gone up. I don't know when the change was made, the last time i saw the per minute charges was in the middle of March.

Originally Massachusetts and Maine used per kWh pricing, while Connecticut, New Hampshire and Vermont all used per minute pricing. I yesterday looked in the car map and to my surprise, all the latter states have switched to per kWh pricing. It also looks the effective prices have gone up. I don't know when the change was made, the last time i saw the per minute charges was in the middle of March.

I hope that's true! I can't stand the per-minute prices. Much tougher to optimize, much more nervous when the wife attempts to use them and charges to high percentage or cold battery

Reactions: kayak1 and Gasaraki
I hope that's true! I can't stand the per-minute prices. Much tougher to optimize, much more nervous when the wife attempts to use them and charges to high percentage or cold battery

While I certainly agree that per kWh is simpler and makes much more sense, the new prices for CT, NH and NH seem higher than MA prices. Before the change they were significantly lower unless you tried to charge to 100% on a cold day without preheating. This change will particularly affect V3 superchargers.

While I certainly agree that per kWh is simpler and makes much more sense, the new prices for CT, NH and NH seem higher than MA prices. Before the change they were significantly lower unless you tried to charge to 100% on a cold day without preheating. This change will particularly affect V3 superchargers.

MA SCs have always been about 26-28 cents around here, same as I pay at home, are they charging more?

Reactions: hcdavis3
It just got really expensive (relatively) to supercharge. It has about doubled my effective kWH pricing.
Yeah, Tesla's per minute pricing structure ends up significantly under billing what I believe they really intended to charge because they don't have enough pricing tiers and because the over 60 kW price is effectively pegged to the bottom of the tier instead of the middle. This has only gotten more impactful as superchargers have gotten more powerful--first most V2s up to 150 kW then V3 with up to 250 kW. To have more "reasonable" pricing that more closely follows per kWh pricing they need tiers every 30 kW going up from 60 and to set the price to their nominal per kWh price adjusted for an assumed charging power of the mid-point of the tier during that minute. So, for example, if what they really want is to charge people $0.30/kWh for the charging session, then when they are in the 90-120kW tier they would price the per minute bill based on 105 kW charging during that minute--i.e. assume that a minute of charging in that tier actually delivers 1.75 kWh--and end up with a price of $0.525/minute in that tier.

But this obviously becomes quite unwieldy pretty quickly. The end result is that when Tesla changes from per minute to per kWh billing the effective price will always go up significantly because they were significantly under billing before.

Yeah, Tesla's per minute pricing structure ends up significantly under billing what I believe they really intended to charge because they don't have enough pricing tiers and because the over 60 kW price is effectively pegged to the bottom of the tier instead of the middle. This has only gotten more impactful as superchargers have gotten more powerful--first most V2s up to 150 kW then V3 with up to 250 kW. To have more "reasonable" pricing that more closely follows per kWh pricing they need tiers every 30 kW going up from 60 and to set the price to their nominal per kWh price adjusted for an assumed charging power of the mid-point of the tier during that minute. So, for example, if what they really want is to charge people $0.30/kWh for the charging session, then when they are in the 90-120kW tier they would price the per minute bill based on 105 kW charging during that minute--i.e. assume that a minute of charging in that tier actually delivers 1.75 kWh--and end up with a price of $0.525/minute in that tier.

But this obviously becomes quite unwieldy pretty quickly. The end result is that when Tesla changes from per minute to per kWh billing the effective price will always go up significantly because they were significantly under billing before.

I would assume that Tesla would prefer to charge by the kWh where possible. The only reason they charged by the minutes is that some states have/had laws that prohibit sale of electricity by non-utilities. What's weird that this was changed in (at least) four states around the same time. Either all those states changed their laws around the same time or Tesla recognized as a utility by those states.

Reactions: Gasaraki and kayak1