Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Percentage or Miles/Kilometers : which do you use and why?

So which do you use or how do you decide and why?

• Miles/kilometers Only

Votes: 99 32.5%
  • Percentage Only

Votes: 129 42.3%
  • Switch back and forth often

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Mostly Miles/kilometers & some Percentage

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Mostly Percentage & some Miles/kilometers

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • Never gave it any thought and is the way it was delivered

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok ok time to throw more wood on the fire!

So for all those people who swear by using %....if you go to buy a used Tesla, are you just going to look at the % at full charge and see that it shows 100% and be like ok we are all good here...?
I would do a 100% charge look at the miles and if it checked out would switch to % for driving. How is that for throwing some water on your fire?:eek::D:D:D

• Funny
Reactions: Bacalao and TT97
So switch to miles to figure out degradation, go back to %... and lose track of further degradation...got it. ;)
How about switch back to % and NOT lose track.:eek::D:D:D Also as stated knowing normal degradation just for the knowledge is OK but doesn't offer any practical benefit to everyday driving. Especially to the average person since you can't do anything about it.

Want to know: FINE, Need to know: NO.

You drive to work and you drive home
Life goes on and all is relatively the same:eek:
IMG_0220.jpeg

Last edited:
I voted mostly percentage as that value is most accurate. Miles is just a project based on prior use/WH consumption, as I understand it.
If it was, then it would change every time depending upon how you drove last. It's based on a formula either EPA (rated) or steady 55 mph (ideal). Either is useful if the goal is to see how your commute driving compares with a set standard. The only number that gives you a real feel for what is left is the percent remaining when you arrive at your destination shown in the Nav system.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
I voted mostly percentage as that value is most accurate. Miles is just a project based on prior use/WH consumption, as I understand it.

Just to add a touch to the posts above already correcting your MISunderstanding ... miles is more accurate because it’s more granular. Kilometres are even more accurate.

It’s an energy gauge that goes from 0-100, 0-240, or 0-386 “units” (on an SR+).

The one with more numbers is more accurate :)
[Well it allows more insight into the underlying accuracy, aka more precision]
Edit: I take that back, sticking with accuracy:
Accuracy and precision - Wikipedia

Kilometres is closer “to the true value of the quantity being measured“ which is from the point of view of the dashboard showing the underlying kWh of the battery as reported by BMS (not talking about BMS accuracy).

Last edited:
Just to add a touch to the posts above already correcting your MISunderstanding ... miles is more accurate because it’s more granular. Kilometres are even more accurate.

The one with more numbers is more precise, not more accurate.

Not necessarily. Most look at gauge and determine when vehicle reads 25%, it's time to fill up.

I wouldn’t suggest this. If it’s a daily trip you should “fill up” daily for battery health, don’t go down to 25%.
If it’s a road trip, you can’t “fill up” just anywhere, so you better plan to let the nav suggest a good spot to charge instead of passing the last SC at “30%” and then not making it to the next one :)

Except I went back and edited my edit. I think km is a more accurate display of the underlying kWh number hidden to us but “known” to the system. In terms of it being “closer to the true value” than miles is, or percent.
No doubt the system calculates it in one way and then displays it however the user selects. I don't know what the internal system is, imperial, metric, or elons.

[Well it allows more insight into the underlying accuracy, aka more precision]
Edit: I take that back, sticking with accuracy:
Accuracy and precision - Wikipedia

Kilometres is closer “to the true value of the quantity being measured“ which is from the point of view of the dashboard showing the underlying kWh of the battery as reported by BMS (not talking about BMS accuracy).

Well, it seems there are many other members on this site with different opinions about how this is actually calculated. I admit, I don't really know what the facts are, which is why as qualified my statement "as I understand," based on what I read in other posts. This quote (below) is from another recent post in a different thread, as just one of many examples.

"In fact, it's more damaging to the battery to leave it topped at 80% than it is to leave it at 70%, even if the charge controller becomes less accurate over time. There's no reason to do a full top/deep discharge cycle unless you really need to have the range be 'accurate'. Everyone should just turn off the guess-o-meter and leave it on %."

"In fact, it's more damaging to the battery to leave it topped at 80% than it is to leave it at 70%, even if the charge controller becomes less accurate over time. There's no reason to do a full top/deep discharge cycle unless you really need to have the range be 'accurate'. Everyone should just turn off the guess-o-meter and leave it on %."
Well, the thing is that statement is technically true, but practically doesn't matter. There is a immense difference between 100% and 90%, a slight difference between 90% and 80%, measurable but not significant difference down to 50%. Below 50% it goes back up. So if you are going on an extended trip (over six to eight weeks) you can set the level at 50%. Otherwise just set it at 90% unless you are driving very few miles per day (10 or 15 tops), then you can set it at 80%.

Doing a full cycle (100% to 0%) is harmful because it eats a full cycle (the smaller the cycle the better). The only reason you would do this is to prove something in court.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Well, the thing is that statement is technically true, but practically doesn't matter. There is a immense difference between 100% and 90%, a slight difference between 90% and 80%, measurable but not significant difference down to 50%. Below 50% it goes back up. So if you are going on an extended trip (over six to eight weeks) you can set the level at 50%. Otherwise just set it at 90% unless you are driving very few miles per day (10 or 15 tops), then you can set it at 80%.

Doing a full cycle (100% to 0%) is harmful because it eats a full cycle (the smaller the cycle the better). The only reason you would do this is to prove something in court.

Understood. Given my unpredictable driving habits (heavy foot one minute, lazy old man driver the next minute), I just leave it on percent and refill "the tank" with electrons when its between 1/4 (25%) and 1/2 (50%) half a tank. Based on the current "Poll" numbers, it appears more people feel that way as well.