Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Percentage or Miles/Kilometers : which do you use and why?

So which do you use or how do you decide and why?

• Miles/kilometers Only

Votes: 99 32.5%
  • Percentage Only

Votes: 129 42.3%
  • Switch back and forth often

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Mostly Miles/kilometers & some Percentage

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Mostly Percentage & some Miles/kilometers

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • Never gave it any thought and is the way it was delivered

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that it's just a static figure indexed to battery capacity remaining.

Indexed to battery energy remaining - not capacity. As far as static...it depends on what you mean. It's static in the sense that for a given energy remaining, it will display approximately the same value in "miles."

On both counts, it is unlike %. They behave completely differently. (See above what happens when your battery degrades by ~50% of its original capacity.) Anyway, this has been beaten to death here at this point.

Last edited:
What better way to measure absolute battery capacity remaining than in units of energy (“rated miles”) other than actual real units of energy (kWh)?

“%” is a dimensionless unit of an unknown “100%” level which can change over time.

% is a metric humans are accustomed to as its normalized to 0-100. There's no perfect answer unless you can do math on the fly at the speed of a computer.

We could go around in circles for eternity. At the end of the day, use what you prefer. I think % is better, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
% is a metric humans are accustomed to as its normalized to 0-100. There's no perfect answer unless you can do math on the fly at the speed of a computer.

We could go around in circles for eternity. At the end of the day, use what you prefer. I think % is better, but that's just my opinion.

% is okay if “100” is consistent, but in this case it’s not. It might be 75kWh at one point and 73kWh a year later.

It’s consistent enough, and it’s what we’re used to. iPads, laptops, cell phones, cameras, essentially every piece of battery operated electronics use a 0-100% scale for displaying battery capacity.
But it is constant to what is available for use, same as any other Lit-ion powered device.;)

That argument is as weak “as all other vehicles use gas, so we shoud use gas”, and it’s also false:

My MacBook was set to show remaining battery in h:mm and I found that much more useful than %. If my phone could show the same I would switch to that.

“100%” that degrades over time is much less useful than a consistent metric that is consistent over the life of the device. e.g. “ I’ve got “2h” left on my phone, I should be able to last this short 1-hr trip out no problem”.

Most “other li-ion devices” also suck when they age and do crazy crap like shut down when they still show 30% remaining, would we be okay with our cars doing that? No. Demand better from your Tesla than “any other li-ion device”.

Ideal would be an option to show kWh or mAh remaining, but I’ll take rated km.

IMO % should be removed entirely, it’s a legacy thing, just like “creep mode” ... we don’t need it. It’s there because people grew used to it.

If you rent a car, do you want to know % remaining of a car you may no idea specifically what the EPA range was supposed to be? Nor how much it has degraded? I don’t think so... would you want “miles” remaining based on some prior driver’s driving habit and route? Nope. You just want “energy” remaining, and some indication on the screen of how your driving compares to the rated efficiency so you know if you are driving at below or above that line and by how much. Barring showing mAh or kWh directly, rated miles or km is the closest we can get to an actual “energy” unit remaining. % is useless if it doesn’t tell you what “100” is :) e.g.
This Model 3 is at 70%. That Model S is at 50%. You aren’t allowed to stop to charge, which one should you take to your next stop without being stranded?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jgris and Rocky_H
That argument is as weak “as all other vehicles use gas, so we shoud use gas”, and it’s also false:

“100%” that degrades over time is much less useful than a consistent metric that is consistent over the life of the device. e.g......

IMO % should be removed entirely, it’s a legacy thing, just like “creep mode” ... we don’t need it. It’s there because people grew used to it....
ICE vehicles loose their efficiency over time too. So a full tank on a new ICE may be EPA 400 miles but EPA 380 miles once the car is 5 years odd. Still when you fill it up you get 100% of the available range. So knowing the battery degradation is not useful other than just the knowledge of knowing. So if it shows 100% or EPA miles available they ARE the same. Example 206 miles (degraded from 210) is 100%, 103 is 50% and 52 is 25%. While we all want to believe that the choice we made MUST be the right one, using percentage is NOT wrong. It is just a different way of looking at the same info.

I'm using % again but plan to switch to miles in a couple of weeks. Still deciding which I LIKE best since neither are WRONG.

Also I had an EV that forced creep and thought it was BAD. When I picked up my 3 I turned it off first thing. At my location I must back to within <12" of a wall. I could not accurately, quickly or safely do it (scary). Posted and someone said to try creep. I was resistant and almost indignant. However gave it a try and it works perfectly and the ONLY way to easily/safely back very close to the wall. Also I just push brake HOLD and it is like you don't have creep on at a stop light. So there is a GOOD reason to have it even though I would have hotly debated otherwise in the past (see my want to believe comment above).;)

IMG_0534.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Eugr
ICE vehicles loose their efficiency over time too. So a full tank on a new ICE may be EPA 400 miles but EPA 380 miles once the car is 5 years odd. Still when you fill it up you get 100% of the available range. So knowing the battery degradation is not useful other than just the knowledge of knowing. So if it shows 100% or EPA miles available they ARE the same. Example 206 miles (degraded from 210) is 100%, 103 is 50% and 52 is 25%. While we all want to believe that the choice we made MUST be the right one, using percentage is NOT wrong. It is just a different way of looking at the same info.

Huh?

How is knowing the battery degradation not useful? If my device says it will last “300 minutes” or “300 miles” when it’s new and X years later it says it will last “200 miles” or “200 minutes” I think that is pretty useful. Much more useful than seeing it say “100%” and not knowing what that translates to in terms of usage. It means I know if I can likely make my destination without charging or not.

If you borrowed a car that showed you only %, that would be nearly useless. % is only meaningful when you know what “100%” means, and how do you find out what 100% means? By switching to miles or kilometres. Case closed. LOL. Seriously.

I can drive my car for the life of the car and never once look at “%”, without any loss of utility. I will always have a good gauge of how much real world distance I have remaining ... from the gauge, that reads “miles”.

If you drive your car for the life of the car only ever using “%” and never look at “miles” you won’t know how much absolute energy you actually have in the car :)
You won’t know if “50%” will get you to your destination just by glancing at the gauge. You would always have to use the navigation to make that judgement call. Maybe at some future date you’d wonder, “why does it seem to take more % to reach my destination than before?” Hmmm.

I wouldn’t compare to an ICE car. A gas gauge is pretty useless except to tell you when you are near E. It takes minutes to refill and range isn’t a major concern. “Degradation” affects engine efficiency, it doesn’t shrink your gas tank, but yes, the effect is similar.... but in an ICE you are rarely ever concerned about making your destination without a “charging” stop. An EV battery gauge along with energy efficiency graphs, can actually give you some decent idea of real world range expectations in addition to the basic functionality of showing if you are near “E” or not.

When comparing cars, % is useless. kWh I realize is actually a truer energy number but less useful for comparisons due to wildly different consumption numbers. Guess-o-meters that show miles based on recent driving are also not useful for comparison.

I think Tesla’s choice to show rated miles makes the most sense.

Rated miles in my Model 3 SR+ compared to rated miles in someone else’s LR, or to a Model S, X, Y, or even another manufacturer’s EV that uses rated miles.

% is variable. kWh is not variable, but the meaning of it is not consistent across cars, so in the end rated miles seems best (well, 2nd best to rated kilometres obviously).

I'm using % again but plan to switch to miles in a couple of weeks. Still deciding which I LIKE best since neither are WRONG.

It’s okay if you disagree with me, I can’t force you to be right. ;P

Also I had an EV that forced creep and thought it was BAD. When I picked up my 3 I turned it off first thing. At my location I must back to within <12" of a wall. I could not accurately, quickly or safely do it (scary). Posted and someone said to try creep. I was resistant and almost indignant. However gave it a try and it works perfectly and the ONLY way to easily/safely back very close to the wall. Also I just push brake HOLD and it is like you don't have creep on at a stop light. So there is a GOOD reason to have it even though I would have hotly debated otherwise in the past (see my want to believe comment above).;)

If you don’t engage hold (I found it takes more brake pressure to get into hold with creep on, and it’s easier to get into hold with creep off) then creep can be super dangerous at an intersection. If you faint and your foot slips off the brake pedal your car will “unintendedly accelerate” into the intersection. I find this ‘feature’ highly unsafe due to this point alone. I’ve also found that I can modulate the accelerator pedal while parking at extremely low speeds like a couple km/hr with creep off, while if creep was on it doesn’t let me do that since the minimum creep speed is higher than I want to go, forcing me to the brake pedal when I otherwise don’t need to use the brake yet. I also have a hunch that a large portion of “sudden unintended acceleration” events are people in parking lots used to creep, thinking they are creeping with their foot on the brake when they are still on the accelerator, and then when they decide to stop, they press down and zooom — accident. Much safer in general to always have foot on accelerator to “go”, and foot on brake to “stop”. Not have foot on accelerator to “go”, foot on brake to “stop”, except sometimes foot on brake to go slowly and to stop.

Train your muscle memory and brain NOW, so that one day when you are older or just distracted, you don’t have a “sudden unintended acceleration” event of your own.

It also just seems like a good safety feature for the 2000 pound chunk of metal on wheels to not move forwards until I actively press a pedal intended to make it go forwards. Creep isn’t a “feature” of automatics, it’s a limitation. If they could have made automatics without creep we’d never have this “feature” today.

Last edited:
Heh hah, @darth_vad3r, while I am wholeheartedly agreeing with you about the rated miles, I violently disagree with you about creep.

If you don’t engage hold (I found it takes more brake pressure to get into hold with creep on, and it’s easier to get into hold with creep off) then creep can be super dangerous at an intersection. If you faint and your foot slips off the brake pedal your car will “unintendedly accelerate” into the intersection. I find this ‘feature’ highly unsafe due to this point alone. I’ve also found that I can modulate the accelerator pedal while parking at extremely low speeds like a couple km/hr with creep off, while if creep was on it doesn’t let me do that since the minimum creep speed is higher than I want to go, forcing me to the brake pedal when I otherwise don’t need to use the brake yet. I also have a hunch that a large portion of “sudden unintended acceleration” events are people in parking lots used to creep, thinking they are creeping with their foot in the brake when they are still in be accelerator, and then when they decide to stop, they press down and zooom — accident. Much safer in general to always have foot on accelerator to “go”, and foot on brake to “stop”. Not have foot on accelerator to “go”, foot on brake to “stop”, except sometimes foot on brake to go slowly and to stop.

Train your muscle memory and brain NOW, so that one day when you are older or just distracted, you don’t have a “sudden unintended acceleration” event of your own.

It also just seems like a good safety feature for the 2000 pound chunk of metal on wheels to not move forwards until I actively press a pedal intended to make it go forwards. Creep isn’t a “feature” of automatics, it’s a limitation. If they could have made automatics without creep we’d never “feature” today.
You have this exactly backward. But that is a topic for another thread.

I also have a hunch that a large portion of “sudden unintended acceleration” events are people in parking lots used to creep, thinking they are creeping with their foot in the brake when they are still in be accelerator, and then when they decide to stop, they press down and zooom — accident
Uh....yes...which is the opposite of your point. When people are inching forward..stop...inch forward...stop...inch forward...STOP. That is a foot on the brake little by little kind of thing, and the brain glitch reaction is stomping on that pedal the foot is on. It is having the creep mode OFF that can lead to that problem, because people are slowly inching forward with their foot on the accelerator pedal, and if they forget to switch to the other one, it can cause those unintended acceleration events where they press harder where their foot is already resting. I do prefer creep off, but having it on is actually the failsafe to prevent the unintended acceleration things.

• Love
Reactions: davewill and Eugr
Heh hah, @darth_vad3r, while I am wholeheartedly agreeing with you about the rated miles, I violently disagree with you about creep.

Excellent!

You have this exactly backward. But that is a topic for another thread.

Uh....yes...which is the opposite of your point. When people are inching forward..stop...inch forward...stop...inch forward...STOP. That is a foot on the brake little by little kind of thing, and the brain glitch reaction is stomping on that pedal the foot is on. It is having the creep mode OFF that can lead to that problem, because people are slowly inching forward with their foot on the accelerator pedal, and if they forget to switch to the other one, it can cause those unintended acceleration events where they press harder where their foot is already resting. I do prefer creep off, but having it on is actually the failsafe to prevent the unintended acceleration things.

No, having it backwards and opposite is the point! People who “suddenly unintendedly accelerate” *are* using the wrong pedal! It’s when you make that pedal mistake that accidents happen.

If you are used to creep, and you pull into a spot slowly with foot on the accelerator still (and your cenile old mind is used to creep) you slam down on the accelerator to stop, forgetting that you haven’t actually moved your foot over to the brake yet because you are confused and the car has two different, unsafe, contrastingly dangerous method of motivation: (a) foot over accelerator for high and slow speeds, and (b) foot over brake (for creep) for slow speeds.

If we eliminate (b) as an option to your brain, your brain should never think confusingly “I’m going slow now, and I want to stop, so I will press down on my foot without moving it over to the left”.

As long as you have mode (a) and (b) engrained in people’s brains, you will have a greater chance of “Mode Confusion” (TM), which leads to pedal confusion, which leads to sudden unintended acceleration, which leads to fear, which leads to anger, which leads hate, which leads to the dark side. #TrustMe

Last edited:
Let’s switch to another reference ... Quantum Leap!

You have just “lept” into a person driving a car with their foot barely touching a pedal inching forwards. Imminent danger requires you to intervene and stop the car! Do you (a) lift your foot off the pedal, move it to the left, and press the brake? Or (b) press down harder on the same pedal?

In a universe where creep doesn’t exist, the answer is (a). Unfortunately in our universe the answer is “I have to check which pedal my foot is on first”.

If you think a Quantum Leap analogy is way off ... it isn’t, it’s pretty easy for your brain to wander and get confused.

You still have this wrong and backward. You haven't noticed what has been going on? Many millions of cars around the world (effectively with creep) and these sudden unintended acceleration events are extremely rare. In the past few years, there is a new type of car that doesn't creep forward so people are having to do something different by resting their foot on the accelerator for that last 0.5 mph movement, and there is a huge spike in cases of unintended acceleration events reported in these types of cars.

I know you're smarter than to not understand that.

You still have this wrong and backward. You haven't noticed what has been going on? Many millions of cars around the world (effectively with creep) and these sudden unintended acceleration events are extremely rare. In the past few years, there is a new type of car that doesn't creep forward so people are having to do something different by resting their foot on the accelerator for that last 0.5 mph movement, and there is a huge spike in cases of unintended acceleration events reported in these types of cars.

I know you're smarter than to not understand that.

Tesla fires get all the news headlines even though they are way less frequent.

Teslas also have creep, the problem is with people’s brains used to creep. If creep never existed SUAs in parking lots would decrease dramatically from “extremely rare” to “super extremely rare”.

Pedal confusion comes from driving mode confusion. “Oops, brain fart, I thought I was creeping” can happen to anyone*. It can happen in a Tesla with creep on or off if you are used to creep.

Of course instant torque makes it worse.

*if you are used to creep. If you never drove an automatic it will likely not happen to you because you never modulated the brake to control (positive) acceleration before.

Reactions: jerry33
I think the most sensible solution would be for Tesla to develop a new unit of battery availability, and should name it the Elon. No more displays for miles or battery percentage. A software update would scrap the latter choices, and we would have Elons displayed instead.

Navigation would use Elons. Elons could change dramatically up or down depending upon driving conditions and styles.

Then we can place this subject into a secret, secure, undisclosed location for eternity.