Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 3D with standard wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bdy0627

May 19, 2015
Appleton, WI
I originally ordered a performance 3D with the performance package to get the sport wheels for better traction. I really don't care about the spoiler, brakes, or pedals. As I thought about it more and read about the tires, it seemed like overkill to go for the performance package for commuting, so I dropped the option. Now that I'm seeing some initial reviews of the drive experience, I'm back wondering about the performance package. The alternative would be to get different sport tires once I get the car. I will not be racing on a track whatsoever, just driving to work and around town. I'm in the midwest and will get snow tires for the winter months, so the other tires will only be on during good weather months. Our roads in Wisconsin are pretty bumpy for the most part.

For just zipping around town, is there any compelling reason not to just go with the standard tires? I understand it won't get the most out of the performance 3, but what would I be giving up in terms of regular street and highway driving? Just a little better traction as I understand it, but gaining lower noise, better range, and a bit softer ride on the standard tires. I currently have a model S 85D with the standard tires on it, so that's what I'm used to. Thanks for any input.

I'm getting the P3D without the perf package.
If you regularly drive near the limits or go to the track, you probably want the perf package. It won't make any difference whatsoever on the street unless you're driving in a way that can land you in jail.

A few other things I considered: Model S owners with 21" wheels have to deal with bent rims more frequently due to the narrower sidewalls. Same thing with the 20" on the model 3.

You'll be replacing tires more frequently due to the softer compound, and give up a decent amount of range compared to the 18's (and the AWD already has lower range than RWD).

If it gets below 40F in the winter, you will lose most of your traction. The all seasons give up traction in the summer but at least maintain the same level of traction all year around. Summer tires on cold pavement can be dangerous and you'll lose stopping distance.

That said, I do like the spoiler. I'm probably going to get that at some point once it's available separately.

The 20" wheels look a lot better than the 18's with aero covers, but the 18's with the covers removed and the cap kit look pretty sweet. And you can always put grippier tires on the 18's if you want.

• Informative
Reactions: bdy0627
One piece of information to keep in mind in case it becomes relevant... I have read elsewhere that the 18" and 19" wheels do not fit a Model 3 Performance with the optional "Performance Upgrade" package since the Performance Upgrade package includes bigger brakes. The "base" Performance Model 3 works with smaller wheel sizes.

One piece of information to keep in mind in case it becomes relevant... I have read elsewhere that the 18" and 19" wheels do not fit a Model 3 Performance with the optional "Performance Upgrade" package since the Performance Upgrade package includes bigger brakes. The "base" Performance Model 3 works with smaller wheel sizes.

Has this been definitively confirmed? Seems surprising that you couldn’t even put 19s on P3D+ cars.

I'm getting P3D with 18s. If you want better tires, just put them on the 18s. The Performance package is really for aesthetics, unless you're going to track the car and push the brakes to their limit. Aftermarket spoiler could be done for $300-$1k, shiny pedals for $50, painted calipers for $400-800, summer tires on the 18s for $1k. You _really_ have to like the 20s and need the upgraded brakes to get the PUP.

The only OEM wheels you can get from Tesla that fit the Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade brake option are the 20" wheels. Tesla says the 18" and 19" wheels for the standard M3 Performance won't fit. There are two issues. One is that the inner diameter of the 18 and 19 inch wheels won't have enough clearance for the larger brake calipers. The other issue is that the hub on the performance brakes has a machined in step that protrudes slightly past the rotor bore that is a larger diameter than the remainder of the hub. Unless the inner center bore of the wheel is relieved to clear this step, the wheel won't seat properly on the hub as it will try to seat on this step instead of on the face of the hub as intended.

However, not all is lost if you want the performance brakes and smaller wheels. They are available from 3rd parties who specialize in Tesla aftermarket parts. The problem is that if you order a Model 3 with the performance brake upgrade, the car will come from Tesla with at least one set of 20" wheels. I suppose you could get the 20's with either summer or winter tires since Tesla offers both, but you'll still have a set of silver 20" wheels.

I use the 20" wheels that came with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for my summer tires and then a set of 19" wheels with Pirelli Sotozero 3 tires for winter. I bought the 19" wheels from Tsportline as they have a part number that is specifically designed for the Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade brake option. The 19" wheels are also available in four colors/finishes. I've heard that they now have an 18" wheel that they've somehow sculpted to clear the performance brakes. But that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

My experience with the 20" wheels with summer performance tires is that they do have a somewhat harsher ride than the 19" wheels with the winter performance snow tires. But they also stick like glue to warm pavement and the turn-in is (steering response) is wicked fast. That said, even with the 19" wheels and winter snow tires this car handles very well. The difference is surprisingly small.

• Informative
Reactions: alexGS
I'm getting P3D with 18s. If you want better tires, just put them on the 18s. The Performance package is really for aesthetics, unless you're going to track the car and push the brakes to their limit. Aftermarket spoiler could be done for $300-$1k, shiny pedals for $50, painted calipers for $400-800, summer tires on the 18s for $1k. You _really_ have to like the 20s and need the upgraded brakes to get the PUP.

I was confused on this post until I saw the date- aug 2018. I love my stealth p3d but it hasn’t been available since the fall

Reactions: ModelNforNerd