Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

performance brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had assumed Tesla just bought some Brembos off the shelf and there would be plenty of aftermarket pads, but there's only the XT pads? Does Tesla make these calipers themselves? Looks like you have to take the whole caliper off to change the pads too :(

Brembo has a plant in Mexico now. They produce the brakes for Model 3 there. Front pads are removable like most Brembos with the calipers in place. Knock out 2 pins and remove the retainer and the pads. Spread the pistons and inset new pads.

• Disagree
Reactions: dfwatt
Brembo has a plant in Mexico now. They produce the brakes for Model 3 there. Front pads are removable like most Brembos with the calipers in place. Knock out 2 pins and remove the retainer and the pads. Spread the pistons and inset new pads.

The Performance red front caliper has to removed to change pads. The silver caliper pads can be changed as you described.

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG
The Performance red front caliper has to removed to change pads. The silver caliper pads can be changed as you described.

This is the sucky truth for both front an rear.

As for pads, @burningchrome there are a couple of options available now, and I'm sure there will be more to follow. I'm running a set of Endless, and there's Unplugged, Racing Brake, and Mountain Pass.

There's also the possibility Brembo will be bringing out some high performance pads and rotors in all the Tesla patterns. There's a new copper free pad material they are now producing which should be quiet for road use but offer better performance.

To those disappointed by having to remove the caliper to replace pads:
Brake pressure tends to spread the caliper while grabbing the disc. Leaving the outside of the caliper open for pad replacement makes the caliper less stiff and so the pedal more soft. So they build in a bridge to stiffen the caliper. The bridge prevents the removal of pads without removing the caliper.

Brake pressure tends to spread the caliper while grabbing the disc. Leaving the outside of the caliper open for pad replacement makes the caliper less stiff and so the pedal more soft. So they build in a bridge to stiffen the caliper. The bridge prevents the removal of pads without removing the caliper.

Any decent caliper can also use a removable bolt to help reduce caliper spread at the mid point, and allow pad removal without caliper removal, as with many Brembo performance and race calipers. Shame they didn’t use this design because it’s better for a performance/track car where pads tend to be changed/replaced regularly.

Can you show me a competition or performance caliper that uses such a bolt?
The Wilwoods I had on my Dodge did not.
I looked at a bunch of Porsche calipers and it looks like the performance ones have a bridge or two.
I'm thinking that the larger calipers with six or eight pistons may generate too much force over a large area to manage the caliper stiffness with bolts. But the engineer in me says that it should be possible.

This is the secret :)
5E84CE9D-FBD5-4502-AD72-57ECCB5930CC.jpeg
A0A6827F-37AD-4047-AC6E-2ABAE340CF0E.jpeg

I looked at a bunch of Porsche calipers and it looks like the performance ones have a bridge or two.
I'm thinking that the larger calipers with six or eight pistons may generate too much force over a large area to manage the caliper stiffness with bolts. But the engineer in me says that it should be possible.
Pretty much all the AP Racing calipers use removable bolts.

Would you agree it's still better than a floating caliper?

Current Camaro SS or ZL1 and Corvette caliper have a removable bridge bolt for easy pad removal. Also the Hellcat uses the same caliper family.

I looked but did not find where they are sold in the US nor any car applications. The bridge does add weight but probably bolts add more. Brembo and AP most expensive caliper (~$2,000) is machined from a block of Al and has a bridge. There must be a reason they exist.

The front pad itself is super common, the FMSI 1001 shape.

It's the rear pad that appears to be M3P+ unique, or at this time not yet cross-referenced.
Is there a way to search for perfomance brake pads of that shape that will work on the Model 3 Performance?

I googled it and got a lot of results for FMSI D1001. Is that a completely different pad shape?