TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

performance brakes

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by burningchrome, Jan 5, 2020.

1. burningchrome

burningchrome Member

I had assumed Tesla just bought some Brembos off the shelf and there would be plenty of aftermarket pads, but there's only the XT pads? Does Tesla make these calipers themselves? Looks like you have to take the whole caliper off to change the pads too :(

2. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Brembo has a plant in Mexico now. They produce the brakes for Model 3 there. Front pads are removable like most Brembos with the calipers in place. Knock out 2 pins and remove the retainer and the pads. Spread the pistons and inset new pads.

• Disagree x 1
  3. beastmode13

beastmode13 Supporting Member

The Performance red front caliper has to removed to change pads. The silver caliper pads can be changed as you described.

• Informative x 1
  4. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

This is the sucky truth for both front an rear.

As for pads, @burningchrome there are a couple of options available now, and I'm sure there will be more to follow. I'm running a set of Endless, and there's Unplugged, Racing Brake, and Mountain Pass.

5. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Sorry, Missed the 'performance' reference.

6. MasterC17

MasterC17 Member

Carbotech and PFC have several options: Brakes

7. Ryephile

Ryephile Member

The front pad itself is super common, the FMSI 1001 shape.

It's the rear pad that appears to be M3P+ unique, or at this time not yet cross-referenced.

• Informative x 1
  8. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

There's also the possibility Brembo will be bringing out some high performance pads and rotors in all the Tesla patterns. There's a new copper free pad material they are now producing which should be quiet for road use but offer better performance.

9. Feathermerchan

Feathermerchan Active Member

To those disappointed by having to remove the caliper to replace pads:
    Brake pressure tends to spread the caliper while grabbing the disc. Leaving the outside of the caliper open for pad replacement makes the caliper less stiff and so the pedal more soft. So they build in a bridge to stiffen the caliper. The bridge prevents the removal of pads without removing the caliper.

10. Clivew

Clivew Member

Any decent caliper can also use a removable bolt to help reduce caliper spread at the mid point, and allow pad removal without caliper removal, as with many Brembo performance and race calipers. Shame they didn’t use this design because it’s better for a performance/track car where pads tend to be changed/replaced regularly.

11. Feathermerchan

Can you show me a competition or performance caliper that uses such a bolt?
    The Wilwoods I had on my Dodge did not.
    I looked at a bunch of Porsche calipers and it looks like the performance ones have a bridge or two.
    I'm thinking that the larger calipers with six or eight pistons may generate too much force over a large area to manage the caliper stiffness with bolts. But the engineer in me says that it should be possible.

12. Rick71

Rick71 Member

This is the secret :) 5E84CE9D-FBD5-4502-AD72-57ECCB5930CC.jpeg A0A6827F-37AD-4047-AC6E-2ABAE340CF0E.jpeg

13. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

Pretty much all the AP Racing calipers use removable bolts.

14. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

Would you agree it's still better than a floating caliper?

15. Ryephile

Ryephile Member

Current Camaro SS or ZL1 and Corvette caliper have a removable bridge bolt for easy pad removal. Also the Hellcat uses the same caliper family.

16. Ryephile

Ryephile Member

Is that the 1405 FMSI pad size?

17. Feathermerchan

I looked but did not find where they are sold in the US nor any car applications. The bridge does add weight but probably bolts add more. Brembo and AP most expensive caliper (~$2,000) is machined from a block of Al and has a bridge. There must be a reason they exist.

18. Rick71

Rick71 Member

#18 Rick71, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    nope this is my pad ,
    Part # XA5.71.M2

19. cOoTeR

cOoTeR Member

Is there a way to search for perfomance brake pads of that shape that will work on the Model 3 Performance?

I googled it and got a lot of results for FMSI D1001. Is that a completely different pad shape?

20. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

The Stoptechs I put on my old Audi TT and it didn't have a bolt but rather the entire stiffening bit pulled out to remove the pads so you got a plenty stiff caliper body but didn't have to remove the whole thing to change pads

Tired to point the bit out with arrows

brake.jpeg