Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Leaning 3 Season Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P3D-, AWD Performance with 18" wheels. I'll be using the 18s as winter wheels and buying a second set of either 18" or 19" (probably turbine style) wheels for summer tires, so just about all sizes are on the table.

I'm looking for something performance leaning, but not too loud, and ideally low rolling resistance. I like the OEM tires, but would like something I can push on a little more. Ideally something that could do a couple of track laps without immediately shredding apart.

It can't be a strict summer only tire, it needs to be something that can handle a dusting of snow or below freezing temperatures. I live in far northern NY, about 20 miles from the Canadian boarder, and we get overnight lows below freezing well into May and starting in September. I usually run snow tires from the second half of November to early April.

I have a P3D-, AWD Performance with 18" wheels. I'll be using the 18s as winter wheels and buying a second set of either 18" or 19" (probably turbine style) wheels for summer tires, so just about all sizes are on the table.

I'm looking for something performance leaning, but not too loud, and ideally low rolling resistance. I like the OEM tires, but would like something I can push on a little more. Ideally something that could do a couple of track laps without immediately shredding apart.

It can't be a strict summer only tire, it needs to be something that can handle a dusting of snow or below freezing temperatures. I live in far northern NY, about 20 miles from the Canadian boarder, and we get overnight lows below freezing well into May and starting in September. I usually run snow tires from the second half of November to early April.

Hands down the winner in this category is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+. See tirerack reviews and ratings on this category of ultra-high-performance All Seasons. The 3 + is definitely the best tire in its class. We've had a pair on our Model 3 Performance and it does not give much up to the 4S in the dry. Pretty good in the wet too and obviously way safer in the snow where the 4S is just plain dangerous in more ways than one. Crisp steering response and a very firm ride. Some might say it's a bit too firm but it's pretty smooth as long as you don't Hammer big bumps and potholes.

Last edited:
Hands down the winner in this category is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+. See tirerack reviews and ratings on this category of ultra-high-performance All Seasons. The 3 + is definitely the best tire in its class. We've had a pair on our Model 3 Performance and it does not give much up to the 4S in the dry. Pretty good in the wet too and obviously way safer in the snow where the 4S is just plain dangerous in more ways than one. Crisp steering response and a very firm ride. Some might say it's a bit too firm but it's pretty smooth as long as you don't Hammer big bumps and potholes.
Agree, that's supposed to be a great tire. Another option is the BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S, which apparently does pretty well in snow.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=238

Initial impressions on CrossClimate+ here:

18" CrossClimate+ Tires on P3D+

Note that I would not describe this a either a performance-leaning or 3-season tire. From what I understand it's an acceptable all-season (really all-weather so it actually is somewhat decent in winter). Certainly seems like a good choice for me in California, where it may be 70-80 degrees on my way to a place that is going to be below freezing.