Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody knows right now. I do have a friend with a LR RWD and the 19” wheels. Soon after I get my P+ I’ll check it out. Next weekend most likely as I’m dropping my car off at the detailer straight from picking it up this Saturday (if all goes well).

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
Nobody knows right now. I do have a friend with a LR RWD and the 19” wheels. Soon after I get my P+ I’ll check it out. Next weekend most likely as I’m dropping my car off at the detailer straight from picking it up this Saturday (if all goes well).

That would be awesome and extremely appreciated. I bought a set of 19” stock wheels on eBay for 1150 shipped a few months back and I am now hoping that I wasn’t too hasty. Don’t even have the car yet, but 9/8 if everything shakes out on P.O. and loan. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: TheLocNar
If you have the wheels now, I’d just check the inner hub area to check if it’s milled out to fit around the lip the P+ has. I wouldn’t be too worried about them clearing the big brakes. I’m sure they will.

I could take a picture and upload later tonight. Not 100% certain what I am looking for. Do we have pictures of the 20”s inner ring handy for comparison?

They're floating around here somewhere. I am on a mobile device right now so I can't really help. lol

Someone will though. Just take a photo from the inside of the wheel out up close enough to the center part with the lug holes.

They're floating around here somewhere. I am on a mobile device right now so I can't really help. lol

Someone will though. Just take a photo from the inside of the wheel out up close enough to the center part with the lug holes.

Ok got some pictures that should clarify - these are the back of the stock 19”s.

Attachments

• BB97CC9F-DC3E-4E8B-A60F-9D561F6FE881.jpeg
    BB97CC9F-DC3E-4E8B-A60F-9D561F6FE881.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 3FBEA5D4-80DC-4C86-AF98-BEEF779F21E0.jpeg
    3FBEA5D4-80DC-4C86-AF98-BEEF779F21E0.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 498BF2B9-1CC1-404B-BA7D-EF8C7E4AAD6C.jpeg
    498BF2B9-1CC1-404B-BA7D-EF8C7E4AAD6C.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Informative
Reactions: tambam and MP3Mike
So here's a dumb question. I've in in Southern California so summer tires are always tires. But I do like to go up to the snow once or twice a year. Recommendations? Take the other (RWD) car with all season tires? Seems like such a waste of AWD, but also seems silly to get other tires or wheels for such infrequent use.

Last edited:
I have my delivery advisor looking into the question on whether the 19 snow tire set fit the model 3P. Hopefully it will be some independent signal for us.

For something like this, just needs an official statement from Tesla or not -- either it works or it doesn't. If it "kinda works with caveats," then I'm not interested.

I drove my first 3 (the LR RWD) a bit in the snow as I got it in late Feb/early March. It wasn't as bad as my RWD S was (which I later upgraded to an S70D), but iffy enough here in colorado that I was convinced from day 1 I was going AWD.

Looks like my fallback is the aftermarket rims for the winter tire set, not a bad option either...

Watching this thread closely, of course!

So here's a dumb question. I've in in Southern California so summer tires are always tires. But I do like to go up to the snow once or twice a year. Recommendations? Take the other (RWD) car with all season tires? Seems like such a waste of AWD, but also seems silly to get other tires or wheels for such infrequent use.

Take the other car.

Summer tires in snow is a very very bad idea.

All seasons suck in all seasons- in that they're always second or third best, sometimes by a wide margin, compared to the proper seasonal tires... but summers specifically in snow are the least safe thing you can drive on.

Take the other car.

Summer tires in snow is a very very bad idea.

All seasons suck in all seasons- in that they're always second or third best, sometimes by a wide margin, compared to the proper seasonal tires... but summers specifically in snow are the least safe thing you can drive on.

Not only that, aside from traction, it should not even be considered an option. Tires meant for winter can become damaged simply by being at colder temperatures. It should be noted that anyone with summer tires stores them someplace climate controlled. The same is true for winter tires and summer heat.

More info for this thread. I called Tesla service this morning and they WILL NOT swap out tire treads for me ahead of my delivery (on 9/28). I'm just putting all seasons on the 20 inch wheels and calling it a day. He also said they won't do it after the fact either and that they only switch tires "that come with the car", which is sort of funny/weird. I honestly didn't have the patience to have him elaborate. Anyway, long story short is that I'll be using my local tire shop to swap treads for me :) They work with Teslas all the time and do a great job.

• Helpful
Reactions: PA ZU
My advice is to NOT try to use high performance summer tires in any snow (despite having AWD). Summer tires are absolutely worthless and actually dangerous in snow due to the rubber compound, tread pattern, etc. Having AWD helps a little as far as getting started, but not with braking and steering.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
More info for this thread. I called Tesla service this morning and they WILL NOT swap out tire treads for me ahead of my delivery (on 9/28). I'm just putting all seasons on the 20 inch wheels and calling it a day. He also said they won't do it after the fact either and that they only switch tires "that come with the car", which is sort of funny/weird. I honestly didn't have the patience to have him elaborate. Anyway, long story short is that I'll be using my local tire shop to swap treads for me :) They work with Teslas all the time and do a great job.

Thanks for posting. I am still going back and forth on whether to go with all seasons or just pick up a pair of the 18's from Tsportsline with winter tires, since it looks like they solved the fit issue. I pick up Saturday (YAY!), so I am hoping I will have some sort of epiphany once I get the car and start driving it around on the 20s!

Thanks for posting. I am still going back and forth on whether to go with all seasons or just pick up a pair of the 18's from Tsportsline with winter tires, since it looks like they solved the fit issue. I pick up Saturday (YAY!), so I am hoping I will have some sort of epiphany once I get the car and start driving it around on the 20s!
I was all on board to just getting some All Seasons. But after researching how easy it is to switch wheels at home and with Tsportline selling a ready to install kit, gonna just switch to having a second set.

• Helpful
Reactions: Crispix and PA ZU

I'm in a similar situation in AZ. Mostly in the PHX oven, but I manage Cabins up in Flagstaff where it can snow and I can avoid going during most snow. However, I also rent my Teslas to people who sometimes go up to Flagstaff as well. A bit harder for them to change plans based on weather once they have a reservation. So I need a solution as well.

Kind of thinking:

Get Performance Package & 20" set.
Get TST 19" with All Seasons...since even in the winter they will mostly be in PHX. IF they work well and look good, potentially sell the 20" set. Otherwise swap them 2x a year. No, the 19s don't look as good as the 20's but a decent compromise between looks, value and performance I'm hoping.

Reactions: Crispix