Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance model with lower suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EM tweeted: "Performance version suspension is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes in the upgraded package"

Now this statement is open to interpretation. Does it mean:

1) Performance version is 1cm lower. With the performance upgrade package, the brakes are stronger

or

2) Performance version is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes, both true only if you get the performance upgrade package

EM tweeted: "Performance version suspension is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes in the upgraded package"

1) Performance version is 1cm lower. With the performance upgrade package, the brakes are stronger

or

2) Performance version is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes, both true only if you get the performance upgrade package

2, by a normal English reading of the sentence... though that's never a sure way to read on twitter.

Reactions: ℬête Noire

or

Punctuation is a dying art.

Except if you pay close attention when changing options in the configurator, you can see interpretation #1 is correct.

..how? I don't see any mention of the suspension height thing at all in the configurator?

(or are you guessing from the fake renders- which have already proven unreliable in the past, since that's how people were "sure" the P was going to be dropped at least 1-2 inches from stock)

So...yeah. The renders. Which have already proven wrong in the past. (folks swore the non-upgraded P had big brakes and a 1-2" drop from previous renders for example- both since disproved)

Not that it isn't possible they're right "this time" but i wouldn't hang my hat on it

Reactions: ℬête Noire

or

1; Reads additive to me. Otherwise I would think he would say either

“Performance upgrade package suspension is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes”

Or

“Suspension is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes in the performance upgraded package.”

But in the end that’s just a guess. Time will tell.

I wonder what's causing the 1 cm lower ride height. My guess is that it's from the different rear upper fore links that come with the 20" wheels:

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

Fore links (aka control arms) can alter suspension geometry/alignment slightly, enough to lower ride height by 1 cm. And if that's the case, then likely the "lower suspension" only comes with the Performance Upgrade package, which comes with the 20" wheels, while the standard Model 3 Performance gets an identical braking and suspension set-up as the regular Model 3 Dual Motor.

I'd be surprised if Tesla put in the effort for different dampers, springs, stabilizer bars, bushings, steering rack, etc, exclusively for Model 3 Performance. They are all about maximizing commonality among cars and distinguishing models through software and post-delivery add-ons (lip spoiler and pedal covers) at this point.