TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Performance model with lower suspension

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TurnFast, Jul 13, 2018.

1. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

By 1cm. I had almost talked myself into getting the performance model, but the lower suspension gives me pause since I have a steep driveway.

2. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Is there confirmation that it is actually lower?

Also, 1 cm gives you pause? Considering how high it sits, 1 cm will barely make a difference.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw Elon's tweet... Still, 1 cm isn't much. The car could use at least 2 cm.

Oh. Just realized he was responding to me!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Wonder if this was done on purpose... 1 cm is 0.4 inches..... (missed it by *that* much joke in there somewhere... :D ).

If it had air suspension, you can see a lower 'standard' for P, but unadjustable? Hm.....

• Funny x 1
  4. outie

outie Active Member

EM tweeted: "Performance version suspension is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes in the upgraded package"

Now this statement is open to interpretation. Does it mean:

1) Performance version is 1cm lower. With the performance upgrade package, the brakes are stronger

or

2) Performance version is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes, both true only if you get the performance upgrade package

5. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

2, by a normal English reading of the sentence... though that's never a sure way to read on twitter.

• Like x 1
  6. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

From Tesla

7. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Your right, its kinda like hear on TMC alot. The grammar could of made me confused nor understand whats there point! Wears @buttershrimp win we need him to.

• Love x 1
  8. splob

splob Member

Except if you pay close attention when changing options in the configurator, you can see interpretation #1 is correct.

9. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Punctuation is a dying art.

10. Knightshade

..how? I don't see any mention of the suspension height thing at all in the configurator?

(or are you guessing from the fake renders- which have already proven unreliable in the past, since that's how people were "sure" the P was going to be dropped at least 1-2 inches from stock)

11. splob

splob Member

If you compare the renders between AWD and Performance, you can quickly swap between screenshots and see the height difference happens regardless of which performance wheels you have selected.

12. Knightshade

So...yeah. The renders. Which have already proven wrong in the past. (folks swore the non-upgraded P had big brakes and a 1-2" drop from previous renders for example- both since disproved)

Not that it isn't possible they're right "this time" but i wouldn't hang my hat on it

• Like x 1
  13. CactusOne

CactusOne Member

Saw this had to share..CanEx [CEO of HODLgang] on Twitter

14. grommet

grommet Member

And like we already know, another confirmation Model 3 Performance with 18” wheels (no $5K upgrade package) has the regular brakes.

D on Twitter

“Same as base dual motor- a fixed piston front caliper with sliding rear integrated parking brake caliper and single piece cast iron rotors”

• Like x 1
  15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I hope that crappy looking Dual Motor lettering can come off...

• Like x 2
  16. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

1cm is less than most finger widths. Not a huge difference, even for s steep driveway. Tire pressures differences could probably make more of a difference. YMMV

17. little1er

little1er Member

I thought people were saying the performance models sits 1 inch lower than an AWD/RWD. I wonder if the performance+ is 1cm lower than that?

18. heems

heems Member

1; Reads additive to me. Otherwise I would think he would say either

“Performance upgrade package suspension is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes”

Or

“Suspension is 1cm lower and has stronger brakes in the performance upgraded package.”

But in the end that’s just a guess. Time will tell.

19. Knightshade

Yes, based entirely on the same inaccurate not-actual-pictures renderings in the configuration tool.

That's why you shouldn't draw any definite conclusions from those.

20. michaelwb

michaelwb Member

I wonder what's causing the 1 cm lower ride height. My guess is that it's from the different rear upper fore links that come with the 20" wheels:

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

Fore links (aka control arms) can alter suspension geometry/alignment slightly, enough to lower ride height by 1 cm. And if that's the case, then likely the "lower suspension" only comes with the Performance Upgrade package, which comes with the 20" wheels, while the standard Model 3 Performance gets an identical braking and suspension set-up as the regular Model 3 Dual Motor.

I'd be surprised if Tesla put in the effort for different dampers, springs, stabilizer bars, bushings, steering rack, etc, exclusively for Model 3 Performance. They are all about maximizing commonality among cars and distinguishing models through software and post-delivery add-ons (lip spoiler and pedal covers) at this point.