Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
321wh/mi here on the 20’s. Once my tires are worn down, I’m hoping to find a wheel/tire combo that might help me get down to 280 wh/mi without changing driving habits.

Great idea, thanks!

Thing is will other set of tires be good enough for P3D? I don't mind having the best setup, losing 20-40 miles.. but they shouldn't advertise as 310 miles, same as LR RWD model.

Reactions: kbecks13
EPA ratings on an EV and ICE are pretty similar to one another. Matching them requires driving in the conditions they were tested in. That usually includes reasonably efficient tires, efficient speeds (EPA doesn't test at 75 mph), and temperate (warm) temperatures without heat or AC. EVs get hit harder than ICE by cold temperatures and heater use, but they're otherwise pretty identical.

The EPA range also includes a mix of city and highway driving--highway driving in EVs is almost always much less than city driving.

For better or worse it's always up to the consumer to know about what goes into an EPA rating, for gas cars or EVs.

Yea I didn't pay attention if was getting heater on, but AC was set to 68 ... I will turn off this next days while I do more tests. Will do various tests, Chilli mode will be one of them, thanks for hint!

Appreciate you sharing your experience and numbers, will check with those on mind.

The wire bond TSB is here, BTW. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf Effected production dates May 7 - August 25th, 2018. Obviously not all vehicles produced on those dates have this problem, but, Tesla's only description is "This condition might result in a reduction of vehicle driving range."

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
EPA ratings on an EV and ICE are pretty similar to one another. Matching them requires driving in the conditions they were tested in. That usually includes reasonably efficient tires, efficient speeds (EPA doesn't test at 75 mph), and temperate (warm) temperatures without heat or AC. EVs get hit harder than ICE by cold temperatures and heater use, but they're otherwise pretty identical.

The EPA range also includes a mix of city and highway driving--highway driving in EVs is almost always much less than city driving.

For better or worse it's always up to the consumer to know about what goes into an EPA rating, for gas cars or EVs.

I'm not checking EPA numbers, but comparing to 10,000 miles I drove on the LR RWD. In which Tesla advertise same 310 miles. many folks probably based decision on that, and if is not true, this is misleading advertisement. I wasn't expecting 310 for sure, but a 10-15 drop is acceptable... not 25%-35%.

That pretty much says that you are not going to get anywhere close to the advertised range...

I am not asking advertised range, 10-15% is acceptable ... 25%-35% not acceptable. I will start to drive as normal as possible like my older M3 that I drove 10,000 miles.

Again I am not asking about EPA stuffs, I am comparing my own experience driving the 2 cars.

I'm not checking EPA numbers, but comparing to 10,000 miles I drove on the LR RWD. In which Tesla advertise same 310 miles. many folks probably based decision on that, and if is not true, this is misleading advertisement. I wasn't expecting 310 for sure, but a 10-15 drop is acceptable... not 25%-35%.

RWD should have actually gotten bigger range but they have just used the same range for all variants.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi,

Is there anyone having issues with Performance range? After 1,000 miles driven and 10,000 driven RWD, I am not getting even 200 miles I guess... while they advertise 310 miles.

Cheers!

-Dan
Are you new to car buying? No car (not even gasoline car) can achieve their advertised performance specs, they are all exaggerated in some shape or form, 0-60 mph time, top speed, mpg fuel efficiency, 1/4 mile time, you name it.

In the case of electric car, you can blame the government's EPA testing procedure, not Tesla. The EPA standard is actually the most conservative and most "accurate" compare to even the European standard.

In the RWD vehicle, it is MUCH easier to hit the EPA numbers. With the AWD P, it's a lot harder to hit the numbers. .

In your first 1000 miles, you've never tested the Performance features?
In the RWD, just removing the aero covers can mean 10% range.
Winter can mean 30% range.
Driving 80 is 30% range.

Slow it down to 55, stop showing off the performance, and wait for the temperatures to warm up and you should see the rated numbers.
No, you don't have to. You can play and show off the car, but don't expect EPA numbers when you do so.

Reactions: electrictorque
so i did a roadtrip recently in my in-law's RWD and without trying I was getting 90% of EPA range and I have a heavy foot.

With my performance, I am babying the car and get 75% of the EPA range.

I think their figures are misleading until they put a range mode on the performance that let is act like a RWD. No matter how hard you really try, it does not with the current options.

In the RWD vehicle, it is MUCH easier to hit the EPA numbers. With the AWD P, it's a lot harder to hit the numbers. .

In your first 1000 miles, you've never tested the Performance features?
In the RWD, just removing the aero covers can mean 10% range.
Winter can mean 30% range.
Driving 80 is 30% range.

Slow it down to 55, stop showing off the performance, and wait for the temperatures to warm up and you should see the rated numbers.
No, you don't have to. You can play and show off the car, but don't expect EPA numbers when you do so.

DF6CFD84-9D30-48F6-BD91-27CDA1C1773F.jpeg

Here is the EPA rating range for the different configurations and speed ranges. This does not take into account weather conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.