Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yea but since inverter and motor are assembled into one drive unit technically the part number does mean something, but i see what you are saying. I think it's pretty reasonable to pay for the high sigma parts though, same thing with computers - at least i keep telling myself that :)

I would definitely like to see some comparisons of the AWD car vs Performance in Chill mode. I still think Performance isn't as good. I tried getting the BEST possible efficiency a few times with chill mode and granny driving and could only achieve ~270 at 30 mph speeds. My old RWD car would easily break 200 if driven in that fashion (i know it's very different, just saying)
There is another thread somewhere here where some folks in VA dyno'ed the AWD and the P and noticed that the AWD is ~100hp and ~135Nm short of the P. The other cool thing they did was do runs in chill mode which appears to cap both to ~200hp and ~271Nm.
Based on the graph, it is kind of obvious that the AWD is limited via software (hp and torque curve is basically flat).

@Dan_LA we’re still looking for someone to run Ecopia tires just to see how they do! You seem like the perfect candidate. Can just get a 18” tire/wheel combo from Tire Rack.

I noted you did not prefer the grip of the MXM4s. The Ecopias may take some getting used to. Part of how they achieve LRR is that they apparently do not contact the road (“roadphobic”?). The range probably can’t be beat though.

And turn off your climate control. It’s a balmy 40-50 degrees down here; you don’t need it.

Report back how the Ecopias are doing for you! Everyone wants to know!

Last edited:
Change your wheels to 18" all seasons and report back ..

I got the P exactly because of poor performance not say hazard problem with the 18" wheels and/or tires of the LR RWD. If they are stating 310 miles with 20" wheels.. they have to deliver that. I don't give a damn if EPA tested a 2017 model with 18" wheels... I drove 10,000 miles on the LR RWD so I know what's like 310 miles... 310 miles is not 200 ish miles.

But for the sake of community I will try different sets of tires, driving at night and recording and probably hitting my 1st YT video haha.

@Dan_LA we’re still looking for someone to run Ecopia tires just to see how they do! You seem like the perfect candidate. Can just get a 18” tire/wheel combo from Tire Rack.

I noted you did not prefer the grip of the MXM4s. The Ecopias may take some getting used to. Part of how they achieve LRR is that they apparently do not contact the road (“roadphobic”?). The range probably can’t be beat though.

And turn off your climate control. It’s a balmy 40-50 degrees down here; you don’t need it.

Report back how the Ecopias are doing for you! Everyone wants to know!

Ecopia? I used it on my CR-V 5 years ago haha... Again I might do it for science purpose haha still Tesla advertise 310 miles with the 20" wheels, they should deliver it... not 200 miles... if 280 miles in 5000 miles drive in... I am ok with that for sure, not 200 miles.

I only charge 100% when I go on trip.. mostly 90%... that's a good point... Elon said to charge 100% occasionally to improve charge... but again...

So when I charge 90% on both cars tells me 274 miles range in the morning... the problem is how fast it drops... Will pay more attention now that I noticed the huge gap... 208 miles is not acceptable for a car that's advertised as 310 miles range..

LA has been cold. Take your pack to 20% of so and do an SC and see how fat it charges, on a good non-shared 120Kw pedestal you should get at least 115Kw, if not your pack is cold which I suspect is part of your issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
Because the actual EPA rating for the LR RWD is 334 miles. Tesla voluntarily reduced the range so all the models would match. Tesla also probably used the 18" aero wheels for the P3D EPA testing since they used to be offered. The 20" wheels with sticky tires are terrible for range, and they are now the only option.

Here’s how Tesla played with EPA ratings to advertise all Model 3 versions with 310-mile range

Then the 310 mile range rating should not be used in advertising of the Performance model, since the 18" wheels are no longer available. The 20" wheels will reduce range, so by keeping the 310 number, Tesla is not being truthful.

I picked up my P3D/non-Perf pack on August 10th and just went over 10,000 miles this past Monday. I took a picture to commemorate the occasion.

With most of my mileage coming before the colder weather settled in, I was actually in the 240s until late October, when my consumption started to creep up.

The lesson here is: same motors, same software (other than the Track Mode I was promised....a rant for another thread).... it's all about the wheels. The 20's are electron hogs.

MVIMG_20181230_141825.jpg

Then the 310 mile range rating should not be used in advertising of the Performance model, since the 18" wheels are no longer available. The 20" wheels will reduce range, so by keeping the 310 number, Tesla is not being truthful.

But they WERE available at the time, and they were considered "base equipment" for that trim, with the 20s being optional. It's a loophole EVERY Automaker has used in their EPA mileage since it became a requirement.

• Informative
But they WERE available at the time, and they were considered "base equipment" for that trim, with the 20s being optional. It's a loophole EVERY Automaker has used in their EPA mileage since it became a requirement.

All that means is that the 310 number was valid and 100% OK, at that time, when the 18" wheels were available.
Now that only the 20" wheels are offered, there's NO WAY anybody can get 310 miles, not even the EPA people if they were to reconduct the test.

• Informative
All that means is that the 310 number was valid and 100% OK, at that time, when the 18" wheels were available.
Now that only the 20" wheels are offered, there's NO WAY anybody can get 310 miles, not even the EPA people if they were to reconduct the test.

Well, because Tesla doesn't do model years, they don't have to recertify the lineup unless a significant change is made.

So, because the numbers were a valid snapshot at that moment in time, they won't face any government scrutiny over them. That's just how the system works.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and Dan_LA
Status
Not open for further replies.