Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will try that too. Yea I thought today maybe is the cold weather and the car is heating the battery?

once you start getting <=50F, you're going to start to see higher consumption as the BMS tries to keep the battery warm. In LA, you're likely not that far below 50F, but here in the Northeast, I've made my entire 26 mile commute with the warmer still running when I pull into my parking spot at work, and almost 0 regen for the entire ride. It adds up quickly.

Reactions: hoang51 and Dan_LA
once you start getting <=50F, you're going to start to see higher consumption as the BMS tries to keep the battery warm. In LA, you're likely not that far below 50F, but here in the Northeast, I've made my entire 26 mile commute with the warmer still running when I pull into my parking spot at work, and almost 0 regen for the entire ride. It adds up quickly.

I am suspecting that might be it as I park outside (covered though) and this days have been cold... didn't check on that too. Thanks for reminding it.

Again like someone said it, I can only compare after breaking in more miles, 70 degrees outside etc.. For now 230 miles will have to do. Just gotta plan trips on Winter based on that.

Reactions: hoang51
I am suspecting that might be it as I park outside (covered though) and this days have been cold... didn't check on that too. Thanks for reminding it.

Again like someone said it, I can only compare after breaking in more miles, 70 degrees outside etc.. For now 230 miles will have to do. Just gotta plan trips on Winter based on that.

I did a long trip on the East Coast last week, my longest hop between Superchargers was 191 miles. I was playing it safe, I pulled in with 35 miles left (11%). So yea....cold weather (upper 30s) and highway speeds (~75mph), still only came out to about to ~226 miles on a P3D w/18s.

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3 and Dan_LA
I too am very disappointed with the range I am getting in my P3D.. I've only had it 5 days, but my battery going down to 50% or lower everyday is unacceptable. Yes, day 1 I drove it like I stole it while showing it off to friends but the next 4 days I haven't gone 5mph over the speed limit (autosteer nag most of the time), haven't been over 60 and I can't even get 200 miles of range. Yes, I'm in Boston and it's winter, but a 30% hit?

For example, last night I got home from the Supercharger with 265 miles of range, when I went out today, it had 260. I went to the ATM, got a haircut, went to Home Depot, went to friends, went to dinner, came home... All in all, about 40 miles. I just looked at my app.. I have 163 miles of range!

I'm willing to bet everyone on here just saying it's the tires, or the driving pattern.. don't have a P3D
Well, you're going to take a big hit for temperature and using heat in any EV. What's the temperature been there? 30% does not seem out of line for cold weather. I lost that much in my Leaf as well when it was really cold (20's) and even more when I ran a lot of heat as much as 50% total from Spring or Summer range. Also, if you start out with a warm battery then the car sits out in the cold and the battery cools you'll take another hit. If you're running a lot of heat I'd suggest cranking up the seat heaters first and using as little blown heat as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
Well, you're going to take a big hit for temperature and using heat in any EV. What's the temperature been there? 30% does not seem out of line for cold weather. I lost that much in my Leaf as well when it was really cold (20's) and even more when I ran a lot of heat as much as 50% total from Spring or Summer range. Also, if you start out with a warm battery then the car sits out in the cold and the battery cools you'll take another hit. If you're running a lot of heat I'd suggest cranking up the seat heaters first and using as little blown heat as possible.

To add on to that and/or clarify:

If your car is parked all day and gets cold-soaked (i.e. at work with no charging), always run your seat heaters before putting the heat on. Drive for a few miles and let the drive train warm up a little before using heat. You're still going to take a hit for using it, but slightly less, as you'll have some "waste heat" available.

• Informative
Well, because Tesla doesn't do model years, they don't have to recertify the lineup unless a significant change is made.

So, because the numbers were a valid snapshot at that moment in time, they won't face any government scrutiny over them. That's just how the system works.

Yup. Of course they don't have to, but when they are adjusting the MR range from 260 to 264 i feel like they could perhaps update the P3D to be more realistic as well. But since that won't look as good, they dont ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not my favorite tactic, but far from illegal. Just something i wish they did differently.

Yup. Of course they don't have to, but when they are adjusting the MR range from 260 to 264 i feel like they could perhaps update the P3D to be more realistic as well. But since that won't look as good, they dont ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not my favorite tactic, but far from illegal. Just something i wish they did differently.

It's something they all do. They've been pretty active with software updates tweaking other parts of the Model 3 experience in cold weather. This is the first winter with a large Model 3 fleet out there sending back consumption and BMS data.

Hopefully they take the time to look at that, and adjust our cars accordingly.

I did a long trip on the East Coast last week, my longest hop between Superchargers was 191 miles. I was playing it safe, I pulled in with 35 miles left (11%). So yea....cold weather (upper 30s) and highway speeds (~75mph), still only came out to about to ~226 miles on a P3D w/18s.

Thanks for sharing this experience. So probably with 20" wheels.. 200 miles.. range... Yea better safe than sorry, specially on the cold... Probably the BMS is playing a big role this last days hitting 50 degrees outside... only Tesla can tell. Awaiting their call.

Yep, might be nothing illegal but it's bad as customer experience and service. Specially for someone that tasted the Range Beast LR RWD, that I wasn't even aware of it... heard something on the news about lowering the actual range.

Can't give petrolheads any chance, otherwise this whole EV thing can become a Hybrid Toyota thing... just a hype for 5-10 years.. then becoming a small niche of market. Saw some news on some States the credit is gone, sales went down from 1400 units to 100 units.... it's a long battle implementing EV. They already got right with Supercharger Network IMHO.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It's something they all do. They've been pretty active with software updates tweaking other parts of the Model 3 experience in cold weather. This is the first winter with a large Model 3 fleet out there sending back consumption and BMS data.

Hopefully they take the time to look at that, and adjust our cars accordingly.

Well said. But then again they shouldn't advertise as same miles range as the LR RWD model, folks that have driven both cars won't feel happy about it.

Well said. But then again they shouldn't advertise as same miles range as the LR RWD model, folks that have driven both cars won't feel happy about it.

Then they should bump the RWD back up to 334miles.

By the letter of the law, they're OK on the 310 for Performance. If they make any significant changes to the drivetrain (different motors, new battery pack), they have to retest.

but until that happens, the 310 for Performance will likely stand.

• Informative
If you have problems with EPA's ratings, take it up with the EPA. It's how they conduct the tests, they test these cars at way too slow of speeds and they do not represent real world driving conditions.

But most people should know this by now. Be happy you do have a Tesla and you can increase your range by changing tires, using proper tire pressure, and know what consumes energy and what not. If you bought a Jaguar I-PACE for an example, it has a 234 miles EPA rated range. With a 90kWh battery pack, nobody in the world can get 200 miles out of a full charge in the I-PACE using Eco Mode while driving in real world conditions.

There is a 0.7 conversion factor applied to the tested range numbers to simulate the more accurate 5 cycle testing that is done for ICE vehicles. It's also not entirely EPA, as they adhere (mostly) to the SAE J1634 test standard that was developed with industry.

• Informative
Everyone experience is different, I went LA-Las Vegas 250 miles, arrived there with 40-50 miles left. Driving normally 70-85 mph.. not easing foot on climbs, like I would drive any other car. I did stop to charge, not crazy, but from my math, that's what would be the numbers have I went straight.

I agree, climate plays big role... might affect battery efficiency...

Cold air is also denser and thus the aero drag effects are greater. Same with seals and lubrication. Cold parts = more draggy parts.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.