TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Performance Plus - does it increase 0-60?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Feb 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Is it worth it? I already thought that the regular P85 with 21" rims were kinda firm so I can imagine how this would. But probably better handling/steering?

I am looking at 2014 as the 2013 don't have the electric power folding mirrors. I don't think its worth the $3000 labor/materials to retrofit it. So waiting patiently for a 2014 to pop up. are there anything else in the 2014 worth nothing that the 2013 models did not have?

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

The + only improves handling. 0-60 remains the same.

If you want more there, you need to go to a D.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

The + tightens handling, adds MUCH more expensive wheel/tire combo. I love mine, but the 21"ers are killing me. They look lovely, but tire life is flatly ridiculous.

But Early, I thought the + brought down 0-60 to 3.8 from 4.2, according to what I have read. I have not track tested. So I may be living in a fantasy. But honestly, in the real world, she is plenty fast enough regardless.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Nope--P85 and P85+ have the same 0-60.

5. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

The plus adds $10K for 21 rims and beefier suspension plus the "+" on the back. I thought about it, but the 21 rims killed the deal for me - for $1000 per hub I can buy same damn nice 19" rims and tires - in fact two complete sets...

6. Pollux

Pollux Active Member

Off the top of my head, between taking delivery of my P85+ in August, 2013, I think the following popped up before the + was replaced by the D:
    + power folding mirrors
    + winter package (heated wiper nozzles, wiper blade defrosting, heated rear seats, maybe heated steering wheel)
    + parking sensors (rear & front)
    + also, I think some of the later 2014 P85+s (Sep?) might have had the Autopilot sensor suite

Alan

7. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

The + was the staggered fit tires (Larger in the rear) I am not sure if much (possibly anything) else was different from the actual suspension components or configuration on the regular P85.

8. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Do you guys notice the improvement in steering and,handling? Or is it neglible?

9. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

The P85+ drives very similar to the P85D when it comes to handling. My Owner Advisor told me the + upgrades are included in the P85D. However I have not driven an S85 so it's difficult for me to say it's a major difference.

10. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I have a November 2013 P85 and was told by my SC tech that I have the same suspension that the + has. At the time I bought my car it was only $6500 to upgrade to a + and really that was for the staggered tires.

Ive gotten 3.8 out of mine with the right tires. I don't think the + makes a difference in the 0-60 but tires make a huge difference.

11. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

What kind of tires did you get 3.8 with?

12. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

So a P85 with 21 rims vs a P85+ with 21 rims, can you tell the difference in handling and steering?

13. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

If you look in the Tesla parts catalog, P85 does not have the same part numbers on very many suspension parts. P85+ has different suspensions and air spring modules. And also links, brushings and sway bar for rear suspension.
    The P85D have also all that different from the P85+, P85D also has stronger links and swaybar in the front.