Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Suspension not so Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the main thing is you are ok at the end of the day. Sounds very likely it will be totaled. Just looking at the exterior damage alone and the high salvage values of Teslas mostly due to the battery pack, it is highly likely. One guy earlier in the forum was complaining that a minor fender bender and they were going to total his car in California. He didn't want them to but he really had no say.

Good luck and hope it turns out ok for you. Really a shame you just got your car too.

Well the main thing is you are ok at the end of the day. Sounds very likely it will be totaled. Just looking at the exterior damage alone and the high salvage values of Teslas mostly due to the battery pack, it is highly likely. One guy earlier in the forum was complaining that a minor fender bender and they were going to total his car in California. He didn't want them to but he really had no say.

Good luck and hope it turns out ok for you. Really a shame you just got your car too.
Thank you kindly for the words of encouragement. My wife and I feel very fortunate to be alive because we faced even graver consequences being knocked into oncoming traffic. She was in the passenger seat and in the greatest amount of danger. We will be retaining an attorney to pursue damages against the guy who hit us. His financial impact won’t be limited to the cost of the cars.

Years ago I was rear ended by a tow truck towing a huge car. I was stopped at a light and they were doing at 65 mph at the time of impact. The driver and helper were in the country illegally and fled after they hit me. Similar to your car, it knocked me all the way through the intersection (4 lanes on the opposing side) and into a Target parking lot. Totally destroyed my car, caused massive injuries to people in the car and myself.

At the end of the day, there was nobody I could go after for damages. I lost 6 months out of my life recovering from it. The tow truck company folded up and everyone fled. They had no insurance. The driver and his helper were arrested later but when a few months later they came across the border again and got into more trouble. The judge didn't even have them post a significant bond and they fled again back to Mexico.

I am not the biggest fan of litigation, but there are times when you need to do it. Take your time and find the right attorney to represent your family if you go this way. Make sure there are no potential lingering issues. I still suffer from 20 years ago and it has impacted my quality of life. My injuries were extensive to put it mildly. Good luck and glad you are both safe!

if I didn't see the video, I would not have believed a driver of a half million dollar car (give or take) would drive THAT erratically.

there must be some reason. something inside spooked him? wasp/bee entered and freaked the driver out?

I can't imagine what else would have caused SUCH a lane change. wow.

glad you are ok. and yes, we all hope your car is marked as totaled.

I really want to hear the back story on this. this does not seem like just a driving mistake. maybe the guy had a stroke while driving? did the driver get out of the car and walk around (did you notice)?

My car was finally towed to a body shop here in San Diego yesterday. They won’t do the inspection until next Monday. I talked to a few people there and got mixed perspectives as to whether it is totaled or not. My insurance company seems pretty confident it won’t be considered totaled. This is such a shitty situation.

if I didn't see the video, I would not have believed a driver of a half million dollar car (give or take) would drive THAT erratically.

there must be some reason. something inside spooked him? wasp/bee entered and freaked the driver out?

I can't imagine what else would have caused SUCH a lane change. wow.

glad you are ok. and yes, we all hope your car is marked as totaled.

I really want to hear the back story on this. this does not seem like just a driving mistake. maybe the guy had a stroke while driving? did the driver get out of the car and walk around (did you notice)?
I am not sure what this guy was thinking either. I thought maybe he was drunk but there was no mention of alcohol. I guess he thought he was accelerating much faster than I was and didn’t even bother looking over as he changed lanes. Yes, he got out and walked around just fine. Apparently this guy is the CEO of some tech company in Irvine and the car is actually registered to an LLC (likely his company).

Another idiot in an exotic.

My condolences to your 3, Crosses fingers you get your car totaled. I hope there's damage to the battery...
I was knocked over the center divider. The driver side front wheel took the brunt of the impact. Very parts of the wheel itself broke along with parts of the suspension. Passenger side front wheel took second most damage. The rear wheels also smacked the divider and likely at least have some scratches. So I figure it needs all new wheels and tires which is probably close to $6k just for those. When I saw the car at the body shop the front end was jacked up because the driver side wheel is completely detached from suspension. With the front end slightly in the air, I looked underneath and all of the panels have various scrapes on them. I think they might have prevented damage to the batteries and engines. I think there is at least $15k damage and from what the body shop told me that won’t qualify for a total loss.

if a CEO can afford a car like that, maybe he can afford to buy yours out - to avoid a long and bad time in court.

I'd find a good lawyer. not just because he has an expensive car and can clearly afford to pay for yours (by his mistake), but that he was so wrong in how he drove - that guy should just be taken off the roads for a year or more. not kidding. that video made me kind of angry seeing how someone can be SO unaware of his surroundings and yet command (hesitate to use that word) such a powerful car.

guy needs to be taught a lesson. consider finding a lawyer and putting the whole cost of your ordeal on him. he was 100% at fault from what the video shows. not even close - it was almost malicious. almost. borderline, given how aggressive that lane change was.

rich guys who think they can do anything. I love seeing that kind punished.

so, it could have been 'launch control' and the car lost control that soon out of the line? do you think that was a design fail from Mac or pure driver fault?

driver fault for being a jackass; but if this car has a known problem - wow. that's an expensive car to have such a problem with!

if a CEO can afford a car like that, maybe he can afford to buy yours out - to avoid a long and bad time in court.

I'd find a good lawyer. not just because he has an expensive car and can clearly afford to pay for yours (by his mistake), but that he was so wrong in how he drove - that guy should just be taken off the roads for a year or more. not kidding. that video made me kind of angry seeing how someone can be SO unaware of his surroundings and yet command (hesitate to use that word) such a powerful car.

guy needs to be taught a lesson. consider finding a lawyer and putting the whole cost of your ordeal on him. he was 100% at fault from what the video shows. not even close - it was almost malicious. almost. borderline, given how aggressive that lane change was.

rich guys who think they can do anything. I love seeing
@1QYKMY the 720S trying to drive straight on this video loses control on launching on the street, similar to your case A McLaren 720S crashing into an Audi R8 shows launch control is not idiot proof
Pretty sure this was the 765LT

I have a Model S P75 as a rental car right now. Nice car; not sure of the exact year. I will tell you that I like my MYP better in many ways. Sure, the Model S is more luxurious and you would expect as much given the price difference. However, I thoroughly enjoy the raw feeling of the MYP and the simplicity inside. Overall, I am very happy with my MYP (aside from my disappointment in my opening thread) and cannot wait to either get my MYP back or the new one I have on order in parallel with waiting on inspection results.

If you it ends up not being totaled, use it as an opportunity. Take the money toward the front suspension and wheel and use it towards the upgraded parts. I am sure new retail on one of those heavy 21" Ubers as well as stock suspension, might go a long way toward the upgrades you want to do. Nobody says it has to go back to stock. It just has to be fixed if you have a loan on it to satisfy the lender.

I did this years ago when they wouldn't total out my car. It came out of the body shop massively upgraded, new tires, wheels, suspension, paint scheme and a turbo. It was a massive upgrade when done and almost worth dealing with the collision in the first place. I made very tasty lemonade out of the lemons I was given.

If you it ends up not being totaled, use it as an opportunity. Take the money toward the front suspension and wheel and use it towards the upgraded parts. I am sure new retail on one of those heavy 21" Ubers as well as stock suspension, might go a long way toward the upgrades you want to do. Nobody says it has to go back to stock. It just has to be fixed if you have a loan on it to satisfy the lender.

I did this years ago when they wouldn't total out my car. It came out of the body shop massively upgraded, new tires, wheels, suspension, paint scheme and a turbo. It was a massive upgrade when done and almost worth dealing with the collision in the first place. I made very tasty lemonade out of the lemons I was given.
That’s a nice idea! I will look into it thanks. I paid cash for the car so no loan.

Body shop is nearly complete with inspection and damage is up to $44k. They will be submitting their report to my insurance company tomorrow. I am fully expecting them to declare it a total loss. My new Tesla may actually be coming in even earlier than expected. I just want to move on from this crappy situation.

Attachments

• 0B068E60-29E9-4EC2-B071-6A91E1914EC4.png
    0B068E60-29E9-4EC2-B071-6A91E1914EC4.png
    385.1 KB · Views: 57