Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade ride quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I selected performance and performance upgrade as i like the larger wheels and red brakes...

Question

Will this degrade the ride quality?

I live in southeast florida where most of the roads are very good..no real potholes to worry about

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the ride quality vs normal performance with 20 inch wheels?

Thanks for the input

Reactions: bionichomer
I am in the same camp as Larry; ordered a Performance Y with the Ppack. I have both an S and a 3 now, but both are LR without performance and I don't know what to expect. However, reviews and comments I have read on the 3 suggest very little real change in ride or handling on good flat roads. The big concern is always tire cost and greater potential for flats/damage.

We have had a 2017 3LR (with 18's), currently have two 3P's (with 20s) and my father-in-law has a 3AWD (with 18s). The two 3P's we have ride much smoother (over bumps) than our 3LR and the 3AWD. YMMV.

Thats good news :). I assume the 20 inch wheels are 35’s ? What tires does it have and how is tire life? Are they the stock tires that Tesla uses?
Thanks for the info

I think tires will make a bigger difference then 1-2cm of drop in suspension. Personally I want everything in the performance update but the 21" wheels... so plan to swap those out for 19" or 20" at some point and the extra tire wall will make the ride a little bit softer im sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
I am in the same camp as Larry; ordered a Performance Y with the Ppack. I have both an S and a 3 now, but both are LR without performance and I don't know what to expect. However, reviews and comments I have read on the 3 suggest very little real change in ride or handling on good flat roads. The big concern is always tire cost and greater potential for flats/damage.

I am also in SE Florida and have a Performance AWD MY with the 21 inch wheels. i spoke to a friend and he indicated that many performance cars are moving up in wheel size (was 18, 19, 20 and now 21inch), thus over time there will be more tire competition - replacemnt costs will be less concern over time. I also seem to recall service advisor at my porsche dealer telling me the suspensions are optimized around wheel base and tire size for ride comfort/performance. Not sure if thats true or relevant to Tesla MY. My sense is Tesla is trying to incorporate the latest trends in the market - styling and comfort/performance to remain competitive and keep completion at bay. This made me feel more comfortable with the 21inch (I don't have to worry about potholes and bad roads)

Reactions: Electric Steve
I know the model X being a different car, but we went from 20's to 22 and I can not tell any difference in ride. The look is about it. With the Y you will feel more body roll more than anything and not sure if the tires will make it feel any different as far as handling and should not have an impact on the ride due to the weight. Silver_Black.jpg

Reactions: preilly44
I just put myself at the back of the line on the y order and decided to go lr 20 inch and save 7k. Better choices on tires and I think 4.8 is fast enough, I hope
Larry, you are correct, I don't like those Überturbine Wheels at all. Those Induction Wheels look so much better. There has to be an option to get those Induction wheels with the performance vehicle.

• Funny
Reactions: BlufftonBob
In general larger wheels will always mean a less comfortable ride. I've never heard anyone say otherwise.
OK, here's one. My Model 3 P+ had OEM 20" 35 profile tires. I switched for P+ compatible aftermarket 18" with 45 profile. To satisfy my own curiosity and that of a few colleagues, we drove it with each for a few minutes, each. None of us could discern any difference in ride comfort or anything else in normal road conditions. Originally I had ordered the P when P+ was then only option. I wanted the Brembo anyway. Today, when the OEM brakes have much improved I would just order the P- and save the money. The same option exists for the Y also. FWIW, My P85DL also had 19".

My personal logic was conditioned by several decades of Ferrari, Jaguar, Maserati, Porsche, et al with OEM low-profile tires. I became exhausted with replacing tires and wheels with road hazards. Thus, even if it aftermarket I'll go for higher profile options. Model Y, S and X are all heavy, so the risk is higher. Apart from looks function in normal street use is better with higher profile. Of course I always choose all-seasons too, although I have always changed for Finnish snow tires when driving in winter conditions.

I'm becoming impatient for my Y!!

We have had a 2017 3LR (with 18's), currently have two 3P's (with 20s) and my father-in-law has a 3AWD (with 18s). The two 3P's we have ride much smoother (over bumps) than our 3LR and the 3AWD. YMMV.
The early Model 3s (i.e. 2017 models) had a firmer suspension which was changed to newer parts at year end due to complaints about ride quality, so your 2017 3LR is not an apples to oranges comparison with later model 3s.

Hi All

I selected performance and performance upgrade as i like the larger wheels and red brakes...

Question

Will this degrade the ride quality?

I live in southeast florida where most of the roads are very good..no real potholes to worry about

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the ride quality vs normal performance with 20 inch wheels?

Thanks for the input

just got my white MY P yesterday - coming from a BMW M4 w/coilovers and 20" wheels w/low profile tires, I would say that the MY ride quality is still fabulous. you only slightly feel it more when going over bumps within shopping plazas, but if you're talking about typical road driving/highway - the ride quality is still fantastic, very comfortable w/minimal outside noise - the MY P still glides like a smooth rollercoaster IMO

just got my white MY P yesterday - coming from a BMW M4 w/coilovers and 20" wheels w/low profile tires, I would say that the MY ride quality is still fabulous. you only slightly feel it more when going over bumps within shopping plazas, but if you're talking about typical road driving/highway - the ride quality is still fantastic, very comfortable w/minimal outside noise - the MY P still glides like a smooth rollercoaster IMO

Have you had the chance to take the Y around any corners at speed yet? How would you say it handles compared to your M4? Anywhere remotely close as far as sticking to the ground and not a ton of body roll, or is the Y in full crossover handling territory?