Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Person trapped in a tesla when battery dies" news story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most robust solution is to carry a glass breaker on you no matter the vehicle. For any emergency situation, you probably won’t want to deal with the 9v battery to save a few bucks.
Good suggestion. Is there a space on the outside of the car to store this? Maybe inside the tow hook area? I guess you’d need one on the outside and one on the inside. Though with the new Li on low voltage batteries perhaps risk of getting locked out is not as high.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Good suggestion. Is there a space on the outside of the car to store this? Maybe inside the tow hook area? I guess you’d need one on the outside and one on the inside. Though with the new Li on low voltage batteries perhaps risk of getting locked out is not as high.
Don’t know. I prefer to keep it on me in case of needing to escape the vehicle too. Combo seat belt cutter/tempered glass breaker.

Reactions: Mercimek
People just store a small alkaline 12V or two or a 9V in a small zip lock bag in the tow hook area. Then have a small jump starter in the frunk. Many are dual/triple use and include a tire compressor and light, so is perfect as an emergency kit.

If you buy a glass breaker, make sure you check that your car still has single pane side windows and which ones are. Some Teslas have switched to all dual pane, so glass breakers are worthless.

Sooner or later the 12v is going to stop accepting a charge. When that happens the doors stay locked. That's probably going to happen quicker the more you use sentry.

Not a reason to avoid using sentry in sketchy locations. A good reason to stash a 9V in the bumper.
What? If sentry is active it doesn’t matter if the 12V dies. The car uses the HV to power everything when awake.

But if the 12V dies you will not be able to open the doors after the car sleeps (eg at home if you disabled sentry at home).

Believe it or not, Tesla did not invent frameless car windows. They have existed for over 20 years. Amazingly, all the other automakers with frameless windows can still manage to drop the window even with a mechanical door release and without potential for glass damage for using the mechanical door release.
I'm pretty sure my dad's old 1982 Camaro had frameless windows and there was no drop the window function... it had manual cranks.

What? If sentry is active it doesn’t matter if the 12V dies. The car uses the HV to power everything when awake.

But if the 12V dies you will not be able to open the doors after the car sleeps (eg at home if you disabled sentry at home).
I didn't mean to imply sentry would get you locked out.

Sleep gets you locked out. Sentry uses more battery. Little battery failure locks you out. Big battery lack of sleep slowly kills the big battery. It's a giant circle of death.

Best keep a 9v in the bumper and sleep where you can.

I'm pretty sure my dad's old 1982 Camaro had frameless windows and there was no drop the window function... it had manual cranks.
Yes old school style was just simple pressure from closing the door against the seals.

But more modern era frameless windows (2000s or so) when power windows became essentially standard across the board will tuck the glass up into the window trim for better sealing.

I didn't mean to imply sentry would get you locked out.

Sleep gets you locked out. Sentry uses more battery. Little battery failure locks you out. Big battery lack of sleep slowly kills the big battery. It's a giant circle of death.

Best keep a 9v in the bumper and sleep where you can.
You can disable sentry mode in favorite places. Eg places where you’re probably going to park for long periods like home and work. Which are also places where you can easily keep a jump pack.

But yes you can carry or hide a small battery somewhere if you prefer.

The most robust solution is to carry a glass breaker on you no matter the vehicle. For any emergency situation, you probably won’t want to deal with the 9v battery to save a few bucks.

Glass breakers are less effective on double pane laminated glass, and some are not very effective on single pane glass. If you do get one, test it on a junkyard car to see if it works.

Glass breakers are less effective on double pane laminated glass, and some are not very effective on single pane glass. If you do get one, test it on a junkyard car to see if it works.
True. And based on your car, you may have laminated glass on side windows. (Mine is tempered.) Looks like newer teslas have tempered for rear side quarter glass and possibly laminated for other side windows.

Page 20 of this pdf (18 of document) shows what your car could have.