Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personalized plates in California.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my almost perfect Y on Tuesday. Nothing like the giggles from the family when you merge on to the freeway like a boss
Anyways, I tried going on to the DMV website because I wanted a personalized plate. It states that, “Due to the state of emergency, personalized plate orders are temporarily suspended.”
Has anyone heard when this might be lifted? I would greatly appreciate any info you have. Thanks

You could try sending in the paper form with the fee.

Also, I had to call the DMV a few weeks ago about a registration issue and, having expected the worst, I have to say that it was actually a decent experience. The phone system allows you to enter your callback number and hang up. It took about three hours, but I got the call and the person was pleasant and helpful.

Reactions: GauchoBruin
Got my almost perfect Y on Tuesday. Nothing like the giggles from the family when you merge on to the freeway like a boss
Anyways, I tried going on to the DMV website because I wanted a personalized plate. It states that, “Due to the state of emergency, personalized plate orders are temporarily suspended.”
Has anyone heard when this might be lifted? I would greatly appreciate any info you have. Thanks

Are you a AAA member? They do CA DVM services--way easier and more pleasant.

I hadn’t heard they were suspended. Wow. I ordered online about 4 weeks ago.

And yes, you can go into a AAA office for personalized plates. I went there to reassign my plates from my beloved Chevy Bolt to my MY. Took all of 10 minutes, and they issue you a registration card and stickers on the spot. I never knew that, and I’ll never go to a DMV office again, haha!!

Yes but you have to get your final plate (personalized for OP thread) then get the vinyl.

I had the paper temps, then had to get the official plates even though I wanted personalized, then I had to get personalized, then I had to get the vinyl.

it all took many, many, many months during the pandemic but I have my California personalized plates and the front vinyl plate.

I have heard many people who ordered their personalized plates and got it like after 6 months. I ordered mine 07/07/2020 and haven’t heard anything. It would suck to get letter now saying they deny the plate.

Things are running real slow. I’ve bought three cars in the last six months here in Ca. Two in the last 3 months. Those. One needed personalized plates and is finally all done. One needed plate transfer from
Another car with personal plates. It’s in progresses but the paperwork came back (but approved) and still waiting for the final registration with the custom plates. The other had plates but need registration transfer and that just went though.

I think starting in August, they required the existing plate number to order the personalized plate. Well it took me 6 weeks to get my sequential plates. Now I have that, the personalized plates can't be ordered!!

I ordered in Dec of last year they required a photo of the physical plate before they would process the order with the state or send the sticker. I think they also wanted a photo of the registration from DMV, but not 100%, I’d have to dig though old emails.

If the plate was already taken, the DMV site would have told you that when you tried to order. If they reject it as inappropriate, that's another story...

If ordered by mail though, esp if there was a problem with plate or paperwork it could take a month or two to hear back. I got two cars in June with one being a plate transfer which took 6 weeks before I got a response saying there was an issue and another 4 weeks before I got the approval and new registration. The other car already had permanent plates under temp paper plates and that one took longer to get registration and the paperwork was done electronically and had no issues.

Last edited: