Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition: Make it an offence to use an EV charging bay if not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, to clarify the topic, OP only meant charging bays in private car parks, right?
Where does it say only private car parks?

We want the Government to make a fineable offence to park in an EV charging bay if not using the space to charge. This would mean cars with only internal combustion engines could never use these bays, and EVs could only use them when they are charging.

Where does it say only private car parks?
The point, in relation to my earlier reply, was that if it's not the case, then it's moot as there is civil enforcement through PCNs already. And this seems to work well, at least in my area. ICE cars are not parking on on-street chargepoints and get a ticket pretty quickly if they do. So what difference would this make to qualify it as an offence?
But hey, I'm in London, so traffic wardens have always been effective in giving out tickets...

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
The point, in relation to my earlier reply, was that if it's not the case, then it's moot as there is civil enforcement through PCNs already. And this seems to work well, at least in my area. ICE cars are not parking on on-street chargepoints and get a ticket pretty quickly if they do. So what difference would this make to qualify it as an offence?
I think that's my point as well, my experience of the petitions system is that (unless you have a very specific and well thought through request) if it hits 10k, you'll get a government department provide some waffle based on their interpretation of the request.

But hey, I'm in London, so traffic wardens have always been effective for giving out tickets...
Yeh, sounds like a badly written petition rather than an attempt to enforce rules on private property though.

If it's for private property then the knock on implications get dodgy. If I own a shop and leave my delivery van on the charger after charging in the shops car park on a charger that isn't intended for public use have I committed a crime? It may not be the best example, but like all these things there is a scenario that somebody hasn't thought about that can come up and someone is criminalised as a result.

Yes, long story short I believe this petition achieves nothing and attempts to tackle a problem that has already been solved through other means.
Private parking T&Cs + local council enforcement powers through PCNs are more than enough to fine inconsiderate drivers that park and do not charge in an EV bay.

Reactions: MrBadger
Yes, long story short I believe this petition achieves nothing and attempts to tackle a problem that has already been solved through other means.
Private parking T&Cs + local council enforcement powers through PCNs are more than enough to fine inconsiderate drivers that park and do not charge in an EV bay.
Agreed, but OP, I think we all share the frustration when it happens so fair play for trying to make a difference.

The problem isn’t Council enforcement. It’s chargers on private land and the .gov are never going to legislate for that. Idle fees do no good for ICE in a charging bay.

The answer is 1. Education; and/or 2. ANPR built into chargers; just wait for the parking enforcement companies to get on that bandwagon.