Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petty deletion of Summon option by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased the new Model S Raven Long Range. I had a MS 75D previously. After getting the car home I noticed that my phone app no longer had the summon feature. I called tech support and they have advised me that the Summon feature is now only available if you purchase the Full Custom Driving feature for $6000.00. This feature was in my 75D. I can understand Tesla making the Enhanced Summon feature an item you need to purchase, but certainly not the standard "back my car up" summon feature. This was a decision made some higher up at Tesla without considering the benefit to the regular purchaser of the Tesla. A very short sighted decision that probably would cost Tesla nothing but add great goodwill with its customer base.

They moved a bunch of EAP features over to FSD. It allowed them to offer basic AP for $2k, and then to make it standard. That's a lot more accessible than EAP at $5k for the first AP step. The main thing I would miss with basic AP is the automatic lane changes. Without that you have to drop out of AP to change lanes and then enable it again. Just like annoying old cruise control when you had to fiddle with the controls to slow down.

Reactions: MP3Mike
They moved a bunch of EAP features over to FSD. It allowed them to offer basic AP for $2k, and then to make it standard. That's a lot more accessible than EAP at $5k for the first AP step. The main thing I would miss with basic AP is the automatic lane changes. Without that you have to drop out of AP to change lanes and then enable it again. Just like annoying old cruise control when you had to fiddle with the controls to slow down.
I understand that and accept the theory behind it. But, the ability to pull your car out of a parking space is so minor an option to give to the consumer it makes no sense to delete a standard version of the summon feature.

For a company that holds itself above the other everyday car companies, this deletion diminishes its quality of options to the public.

They didn’t delete anything. They just are not offering an EAP option any longer. You (or the original owner) paid for EAP (wasn’t it like 5k) before. Now they are asking 6k and offering FSD. I dint see a jog difference.

(BTW, I feel 6k is nuts at its current capabilities and the promise of more is just that....a promise that may never materialize in the timeframe you own the car. Like you I would pay some amount less than the 6k for the EAP lane change and reverse only summon).

You miss the point. For a company that holds itself above the other everyday car companies, this deletion diminishes its quality of options to the public.

You miss the point. You get what you pay for. You paid for EAP and got EAP. They no longer sell EAP. Instead they give basic AP for free. You didn't pay for FSD you dont get FSD.

So actually by giving everyone basic AP for free, now people complain.
Good grief.

Walpan, don't feel too bad. I DID pay for FSD, but I did NOT get Enhanced Summon with either 2019.32.11 or 2019.32.11. neither did I get an option to "vent" my windows as was advertised. I have AP2, but others with that configuration DID get these features.
I DID get Spotify, for which I have no use, but others with the same configuration I have (AP2 MCU1) did NOT get Spotify with these updates. There's some randomness in some of these features.

Walpan, don't feel too bad. I DID pay for FSD, but I did NOT get Enhanced Summon with either 2019.32.11 or 2019.32.11. neither did I get an option to "vent" my windows as was advertised. I have AP2, but others with that configuration DID get these features.

Dumb question, but did you update your app? Smart Summon shows up in the app once it is updated, there isn’t any new menus in the car. Mine didn’t show up until I had updated my app and enabled Summon in the car menu.

Edit: if Smart Summon wasn’t in the release notes, you probably need to call Tesla, as they don’t have your car config correct.

Last edited: