Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Charging - Solar and EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Log into Pge.com and go the various rates. It has the option to analyze your usage to determine your best plan based on smart meter data. Thats also assuming you've had the car for awhile and have historic data of the kwh usage.

That's the brunt of my problem... will need more data. I haven't even had my house for a year yet... can't get a powerwall without a year of power data. But likely need a year of Solar & EV data to gauge my power needs and best plan.

If you have an iOS device, there is a great app that will look at *your* usage and do the math for each of PG&E's plans.

Costs a few bucks but if you consider what it could save you, definitely worth the purchase.

My PG&E Toolkit by Ndili Technologies, Inc.
My PGE Toolkit on the App Store

I bought it a year and a half ago for $10, and it seemed pricy but well worth it because it allows keeping an eye on how I am doing from a netmetering standpoint, and to compare plans. Now suddenly it stopped working, and it says I have a subscription that is expired, and that I need to pay more money continuously now to keep it working. I was pretty annoyed by that, but wanted to see how bad it is, and so clicked on the subscription options link, which just froze the app for a while and eventually said something about network down and that I could set a password to register, but that dialog apparantly is also broken. So its useless now, which is a problem for me because my net metering trueup comes up in a few months and I would like to know what to expect and how my consumption and solar generation trends in this rainy winter.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm not sure if this helps but a product called Neurio has launched a pilot with extra clamp on probes to track EV usage. I have it installed and it cleverly watches for load patterns to assign usage to an appliance. The EV probes are separate and new so this usage can be very precisely tracked.

I only enable daily charging of our Model S during off peak hours and our solar array generation is on contract so I have two meters at the house. When the contract expires in 20 years I'll use the generation meter circuit, which is a net meter, to charge the car. Some minor sub panel rewiring will make that work.

As an aside we also have EnPhase micro-inverters where I can track solar production by panel. There is a slight difference between the generation meter and the EnPhase reporting which I attribute to loss due to a long run of wiring. The difference is not significant.

To estimate your solar panel production loss due to rainy weather assume 50%. That seems to be have been a good rule for any variable that is not optimized for panel production. It's easy to see 25% production efficiency at times but that's the nature of the system. In the end we still generate more than we need each year for the Tesla which was our objective.

In fact, a more meaningful calculation to track is the savings in fuel by running a Model S on sunshine. The Net Meter settlement each year may then seem small. We easily save $3000 a year in gasoline.