Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E discontinuing EV-A rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well. They moved me last month to EV2-A. I just spent an hour with PG&E on the phone trying to clarify what I was told above (on October 16th of last year) and they're merely saying that the representative was incorrect. I've requested that they pull the phone record. Not that I think it'll change anything, but I just figured I'd update the group.

What a load.

How did you know they moved you to EV2-A? Did you receive a letter or an email? I'm on EV-A since 2016. Not too sure how much longer I will be allowed to stay on EV-A before being forced to EV2-A.

The wording says that for the purposes of grandfathering, PG&E is to use the earliest PTO on the current tariff.
I believe this is not correct. It doesn't matter which NEM level you are on now, nor which rate schedule Tariff you are on or were on. The only thing that matters is the date of your original SOLAR PTO.

@ohmman does the stipulation I made above jive with your situation and your recent migration date?

In my case, I was on E-6 when I got solar, then moved to E-9 when I got my first EV, then moved to EV-A, then got Powerwalls. AFAIK, the only thing that matters is that I got solar in December 2012, so I was immediately kicked out of EV-A in November 2019.

I believe this is not correct. It doesn't matter which NEM level you are on now, nor which rate schedule Tariff you are on or were on. The only thing that matters is the date of your original SOLAR PTO.

@ohmman does the stipulation I made above jive with your situation and your recent migration date?

In my case, I was on E-6 when I got solar, then moved to E-9 when I got my first EV, then moved to EV-A, then got Powerwalls. AFAIK, the only thing that matters is that I got solar in December 2012, so I was immediately kicked out of EV-A in November 2019.

Weird. I got solar even earlier (2010-ish), but my forced migration from EV-A to EV-2A didn't happen until the start of July 2020 (despite getting the notice back in October like everybody else).

Annoyingly, as I'm typing this, the PG&E "Change Rate Plan" Web page still says I'm on EV-A, but my most recent bill (and the PG&E phone rep) say that I got switched to EV2-A at the start of July.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid... :mad:

Bruce.

How did you know they moved you to EV2-A? Did you receive a letter or an email? I'm on EV-A since 2016. Not too sure how much longer I will be allowed to stay on EV-A before being forced to EV2-A.

I saw it on my NEM statement for the August billing month (July consumption month). It has EVA on every line and then for August 2020 it says EV2A.

Well, according to my most recent phone call with PG&E, the NEM level could matter, but moving from NEM to NEM-PS doesn't. NEM-PS is not NEM2, according to the rep I spoke with recently. The October rep told me the opposite, saying that there was no NEM1-PS, and that all PS agreements were NEM2. Regardless, my original PTO is the date they're using for grandfathering, meaning I have no grandfather. :(

My transition occurred at the same time as @bmah's, and I'm told it was done properly, so there's no real recourse. What they did do, because of the miscommunication, is offer me a $100 credit for July, when I didn't change my consumption habits or storage TOU plan. So that makes July pretty much "right" but I'm stuck with EV2-A moving forward.

I got the letter a while ago, but first noticed that I must have been switched from EV-A to EV2-A when my daily energy cost went from -$8 a day to barely breaking even. A few days or a week later my summary page listed my plan as EV2-A. I am now using a precooling strategy to avoid using AC during the expensive peak period and my Powerwalls to fully power the house during peak and partial peak times.

I saw it on my NEM statement for the August billing month (July consumption month). It has EVA on every line and then for August 2020 it says EV2A.

Well, according to my most recent phone call with PG&E, the NEM level could matter, but moving from NEM to NEM-PS doesn't. NEM-PS is not NEM2, according to the rep I spoke with recently. The October rep told me the opposite, saying that there was no NEM1-PS, and that all PS agreements were NEM2. Regardless, my original PTO is the date they're using for grandfathering, meaning I have no grandfather. :(

My transition occurred at the same time as @bmah's, and I'm told it was done properly, so there's no real recourse. What they did do, because of the miscommunication, is offer me a $100 credit for July, when I didn't change my consumption habits or storage TOU plan. So that makes July pretty much "right" but I'm stuck with EV2-A moving forward.
I am still on NEM 1.0 and NEM-PS. I do not pay NBCs. So, yet another thing the CSRs are wrong about.

@zanary, here’s what I’m talking about. Note the credit differential when EV2-A hit.

E21E3BE3-D611-44F8-B6D5-301FD85D8C24.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: shs1
I may be in a special situation (knock on wood) but with PG&E who knows. I had a pending solar PTO last summer which was under their cutoff date. I still got the notice that I was being switched. The solar PTO was approved on 11/21, over the cutoff date. But since it was applied for earlier I should have been grandfathered in. So far it appears that way.

I finally got a PTO for my PWs on 6/25. I just recieved a true up for them. I also got a bill for July through the 22nd. Everything I see still says EVA.

So for me hopefully they will stick to their word that I got grandfathered in for my solar PTO last fall. I will monitor closely for the August bill to see what happens then.

Reactions: ohmman
I got Solar in July 2018 and changed to EV-A plan
Added PWs May 2020, still on EV-A

The deciding factor from PG&E is exactly when you started on EV-A. The clock runs out at about year 6, not matter what. They don't care what new PW or new NEM you have. They cannot move fast enough to retire EV-A and move to the more punitive EV2-A rate. Enjoy it while you can. And of course if you are a solar customer without PWs, you are screwed unless and until you install PWs and can time shift to match the new EV2-A peak (4-9 pm). Ask me how I know.....:)

I got Solar in July 2018 and changed to EV-A plan
Added PWs May 2020, still on EV-A
The deciding factor from PG&E is exactly when you started on EV-A. The clock runs out at about year 6, not matter what. They don't care what new PW or new NEM you have. They cannot move fast enough to retire EV-A and move to the more punitive EV2-A rate. Enjoy it while you can. And of course if you are a solar customer without PWs, you are screwed unless and until you install PWs and can time shift to match the new EV2-A peak (4-9 pm). Ask me how I know.....:)
See post #51 of this thread. It's confusing. Nobody will be on EVA after November 30, 2025 and that would be if you got an application for solar in on November 30, 2019.

The deciding factor from PG&E is exactly when you started on EV-A. The clock runs out at about year 6, not matter what

by this you mean the beginning of year 6, right? cause all the documentation talks about a 5 year span on EV-A until you are booted off.

in my case it should be mid-november 2020 when i get kicked off EV-A. but, as it turns out i should have my powerwalls installed by early november 2020.

do they just assume you "want" to be on EV2-A because you were previously on EV-A? my initial analysis was that one of the regular TOU plans was better than EV2-A, but i did that analysis without modeling a powerwall. has anyone done this modeling? obviously it depends on usage and size of solar plant but i'm still curious.

by this you mean the beginning of year 6, right? cause all the documentation talks about a 5 year span on EV-A until you are booted off.

in my case it should be mid-november 2020 when i get kicked off EV-A. but, as it turns out i should have my powerwalls installed by early november 2020.

do they just assume you "want" to be on EV2-A because you were previously on EV-A? my initial analysis was that one of the regular TOU plans was better than EV2-A, but i did that analysis without modeling a powerwall. has anyone done this modeling? obviously it depends on usage and size of solar plant but i'm still curious.

If you have an iPhone--this great app, will analyze your account, and show how you are affected by each rate plan, and it even shows the effect of Powerwalls in the calculation.

‎My PG&E Toolkit Lite

Reactions: eevee-fan