Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E High NEM Charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relatively new at this. We have a solar roof that was turned on at the start of 2021. Production has been much lower than expected. After four months, we have offset about 50% of our usage. For the time period, this has resulted in a reduction of a portion of our monthly electric bills, where we pay for generation and delivery. The reduction in the bill is a bit less than 50%.

However, we are also accumulating substantial NEM true-up charges at the same time. These true-up charges add up to more than the savings on our monthly bills. Overall, we are paying more for electricity (monthly + true-up) with our partial solar offset than without it.

We are in northern California, with PG&E.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Production has been much lower than expected.
Based on a monthly estimate of production or based on 1/12th of annual production? The winter months are always the worst.
Get familiar with the numbers. If your installed did not provide an estimate of production then go to pvwatts.com and enter your data and compare that with your previous years consumption in kWhs.

Reactions: rp1a
Upvote 0
Relatively new at this. We have a solar roof that was turned on at the start of 2021. Production has been much lower than expected. After four months, we have offset about 50% of our usage. For the time period, this has resulted in a reduction of a portion of our monthly electric bills, where we pay for generation and delivery. The reduction in the bill is a bit less than 50%.

However, we are also accumulating substantial NEM true-up charges at the same time. These true-up charges add up to more than the savings on our monthly bills. Overall, we are paying more for electricity (monthly + true-up) with our partial solar offset than without it.

We are in northern California, with PG&E.

Basically you need to wait. "main production" time is from late march to october or so. You may be looking at a negative number now, because you likely got PTO during the winter (january 2021 is what you said).

"The production is lower than expected", is either because they didnt discuss it with you anywhere (very unlikely) or because you are thinking that the yearly production number they gave you could be divided by 12 to get monthly production numbers and it doesnt work like that.

TL ; DR, simply wait, and you should produce more power during the spring / summer / fall to offset more of your usage.

Reactions: h2ofun
Upvote 0
so why are you saying true up charges, which what are those, are more than savings? I am missing something.
Our monthly bills + true-up charges add up to over 100% of the previous year for the same months.
Usage is lower, and some solar production was sent back to the grid.

Rough numbers -
No solar - Jan-April, 2020, usage 4400 kWh, charges total $700.
With solar - Jan-April, 2021, usage 2300 kWh, charges total $800 (= $250 on our monthly bills, and $550 true-up charges).

Upvote 0
Based on a monthly estimate of production or based on 1/12th of annual production? The winter months are always the worst.

Get familiar with the numbers. If your installed did not provide an estimate of production then go to pvwatts.com and enter your data and compare that with your previous years consumption in kWhs.
pvwatts is great thank you. We are seeing about 35% of what pvwatts estimates for four winter months.

Upvote 0
$700 for 4400 kWh is $0.16 per kWh . I do not know how you could average that, The least expensive rate on EV2 is close to that.
$800 for 2300 kWh is $0..35 per kWh. That would include NBCs with the PTO but the Minimum Delivery Charges should be the same.
Are you getting any credit at peak for generation or is you consumption greater than generation.?

Upvote 0
Our monthly bills + true-up charges add up to over 100% of the previous year for the same months.

Rough numbers -
With solar - Jan-April, 2021, usage 2300 kWh, charges total $800 (= $250 on our monthly bills, and $550 true-up charges).
Again, are you saying they want you to write a check for that much per month? And what is difference between month bill and true up?
I get a bill each month. I have to pay the connection fee, like 10 bucks a month. But the true up number moves month to month. Was negative
heading into winter. Uses lots for the heat pump and no solar worth beans so I went to I owed them money. Last month I had a 250 credit so I am
back into the generation cost and expect to stay there until July with my true up.

Upvote 0

Rough numbers -
Does that include Gas? Lets look at Electric only charges. You should not have $250 in electric charges

Reactions: Ampster
Upvote 0
Then your system may be underproducing. I am in Sonoma and February was lower but March was higher that previous year. YTD either year was close to PV Watts.

Without knowing where rp1a is, here's a chart of the monthly % of total annual production one would expect each month for a PVWatts calculation in Northern California.

For Jan 1 through April 30, one would expect 27.8% of the total annual production. So if Tesla said the system would expect 10,000 kWh per year, the homeowner would expect to see something around 2,783 kWh produced through the first 4 months.

1619560876724.png

Since we're encountering Drought-World again, production should be out-performing the PVWatts estimate. If the YTD production is lagging 2,783 kWh for the first 4 months, I'd think there was something wrong with the system.

Reactions: GenSao and Ampster
Upvote 0