Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had as much trouble with phantom braking as anyone here, as my previous posts described, and it occurred at least once on my way to work and at least once on my way home daily, including a location specific braking that always happened at the same place on the interstate no matter the traffic.

After updating to 2021.44.30.21 I have had zero phantom braking events. FSD does some crazy and unpredictable things, but the phantom braking is completely gone. Sweet!

I've had as much trouble with phantom braking as anyone here, as my previous posts described, and it occurred at least once on my way to work and at least once on my way home daily, including a location specific braking that always happened at the same place on the interstate no matter the traffic.

After updating to 2021.44.30.21 I have had zero phantom braking events. FSD does some crazy and unpredictable things, but the phantom braking is completely gone. Sweet!
thats like.. really old version, no?

That is awesome to know. Meaning they do analyze data and try to fix the cause!

Reactions: laservet and DrGriz
i thought that was only on the beta its not active.. but i have no clue really
At least on my beta car radar has been disabled and I’m on pure vision.

Even with FSD beta turned off my car will not let me use autopilot over 80MPH on the highway not will it let me set follow distance to less than 2. Both of these are consistent with vision only operation.

That is awesome to know. Meaning they do analyze data and try to fix the cause!
hope springs eternal....

I'm curious to how it will behave with V11 - Tesla is reportedly making major changes to all the FSD components. I fully expect FSD to be worse for a period while they work the bugs out but I imagine they will be using some of the code for AP and TACC, so those may degrade as well

I just took delivery 2 weeks ago and would say....to put it nicely....adaptive cruise is a HOT MESS!!

It works on highways and divided roads but on a 2 lane road its unusable. I would guess since they have been making cars for 10 years, and haven't figured it out yet....there is little hope this will be resolved with software.

I just took delivery 2 weeks ago and would say....to put it nicely....adaptive cruise is a HOT MESS!!

It works on highways and divided roads but on a 2 lane road its unusable. I would guess since they have been making cars for 10 years, and haven't figured it out yet....there is little hope this will be resolved with software.
The funny thing is it doesn't work on highways and divided roads.

It's simply seen as working because the failure rate is 1 in 100 miles versus 1 in 1 miles. :p

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
I don't know what "adaptive cruise" is but I've been using NOA for 40+k miles and it's rather flawless. I have commuted 150 miles to work and 150 miles back once a week for that 40+k miles, mostly on an interstate, and the M3P essentially drives itself. I just get in and say navigate to work and/or navigate home. I can't remember the last time it made a mistake. With FSD-beta 10.10.2 it's even better, more efficient, smoother, and covers the 4 miles each way on and off the interstate. Have I ever had phantom braking? Sure, once or twice in that 40+k miles. Here's the thing though, you have to retrain your brain to use these systems effectively and safely. You have to learn exactly what it's going to do in any given situation. Yes, you can learn that.........

Last edited:

They are in the very process of doing that .. it’s called FSD beta.

I believe that setting the FCW to "Late" is supposed to help with minimizing phantom breaking.

"By default, Forward Collision Warning is turned on. To turn it off or adjust its sensitivity, touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision Warning. Instead of the default warning level of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or you can choose to be warned Late or Early."

Sorry, adaptive cruise is a problem that was solved a decade ago by every other carmaker. With no FSD. I expect FSD to be beta and I expect adaptive cruise to work.
So what? The post I was replying to was claiming Tesla are doing nothing about it. But they are .. FSD beta. You may not like that, and might wish them to focus on a "dumb" CC, but like it to not that is what they are doing.

And if enough people complain to NHTSA, what do you think will happen? Will they drop everything and fix TACC? Or simply disable it until FSD beta is ready? My bet is the latter, and I'll also bet that the same people who complained to the NHTSA will be complaining that they dont have TACC any more. Be careful what you ask for.

Reactions: PACEMD
So what? The post I was replying to was claiming Tesla are doing nothing about it. But they are .. FSD beta. You may not like that, and might wish them to focus on a "dumb" CC, but like it to not that is what they are doing.
No, @dspecMY was complaining about cruise control being a hot mess. S/he never said they weren't doing anything about it, just that they haven't managed to get a working adaptive cruise in 10 years and wasn't holding out hope. You said they are fixing it - with FSD beta and I pointed out that virtually every other car maker has had a fully functional adaptive cruise for the last 10 years. I never said anything about 'dumb' cruise.

You may feel obligated to defend Tesla's failure in this area, but the fact of the matter is a production release of FSD is quite some ways off and in the mean time Tesla is lacking a (fully functioning) feature that has become standard on cars costing a quarter of the cost.

Reactions: dspecMY