Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most vehicular accidents involve so many variables that I doubt Tesla would make a "preference" for one type of accident over another. There are guys in sports cars that hit some object at speed and while the entire car disintegrated, their particular part of the passenger compartment was left intact. Luck or design? IMHO it's pure luck. The truth of the matter is, you never want to hit any object while you're in a motor vehicle. Failing to program the adaptive cruise properly to eliminate phantom braking does not add to any aspect of vehicular safety.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Most vehicular accidents involve so many variables that I doubt Tesla would make a "preference" for one type of accident over another. There are guys in sports cars that hit some object at speed and while the entire car disintegrated, their particular part of the passenger compartment was left intact. Luck or design? IMHO it's pure luck. The truth of the matter is, you never want to hit any object while you're in a motor vehicle. Failing to program the adaptive cruise properly to eliminate phantom braking does not add to any aspect of vehicular safety.
There are lots of variables, but there are clear ones that have resulted in headline making Tesla accidents that have brought Tesla under investigation. Trucks are one of them, especially ones that may cross traffic (I posted examples). It was important enough Tesla posted a blog post about it:
As such I highly doubt it's pure coincidence that a lot of "phantom braking" reported is the car slowing for trucks in the oncoming lane. The system can obviously detect the vehicle type, so using that as a tuning variable is not far fetched at all (I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't know it has this ability).

A perfect example is with the emergency lights detection feature, it is a feature made specifically to address a know variable in crashes. You don't just handwave away things just because there are lots of variables.

Reactions: WhiteWi
There are lots of variables, but there are clear ones that have resulted in headline making Tesla accidents that have brought Tesla under investigation. Trucks are one of them, especially ones that may cross traffic (I posted examples). It was important enough Tesla posted a blog post about it:
As such I highly doubt it's pure coincidence that a lot of "phantom braking" reported is the car slowing for trucks in the oncoming lane. The system can obviously detect the vehicle type, so using that as a tuning variable is not far fetched at all (I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't know it has this ability).

A perfect example is with the emergency lights detection feature, it is a feature made specifically to address a know variable in crashes. You don't just handwave away things just because there are lots of variables.
Except that was a completely different circumstance - it was a truck perpendicular to the roadway. You're essentially saying that all Teslas now have programmed PTSD with semis. Except they don't. They only react to semis perhaps 10-15% of the time, so if they're supposed to react then it's a crappy implementation. If they're not supposed to react then it's also a crappy implementation. (although I suppose 85% accuracy is better than 15%)

It also doesn't seem to matter how close to the center line they are - I've had the system blare at me when there was a 10 foot median.

We in emergency medicine switched many years ago to MVC from MVA, motor vehicle collision versus accident. Intent and responsibility are speculations. The fact that there was a collision is not.
Ultimately it’s semantics. The real question and goal is avoidance/prevention. Like I said above - car or truck should be irrelevant; the Tesla should try to avoid both.

More like it is not as wide spread as few here trying to convince otherwise.
There, fixed it for you!

since it's the rare person that has a TACC that works as well as other cars and most of the people saying it works perfectly are people who also think I'm holding my iPhone wrong, and since Tesla has said they're 'working on it' meaning they acknowledge the problem it's pretty clear what the situation is. On the flip side, the US olympic committee needs people for their mental gymnastics team.

Edit:
Here's yet another person that must be making up problems with TACC: Cruise Control

Last edited:
When I come up the S curve hill near my house there's a power pole at the top that is visualized as a person walking down the middle of the road. I don't have TACC or Lane keeping assist turned on, but it blares out a warning (without braking). Has happened several times.

Is it a phantom, or a just baby software still learning? 🤔

When I come up the S curve hill near my house there's a power pole at the top that is visualized as a person walking down the middle of the road. I don't have TACC or Lane keeping assist turned on, but it blares out a warning (without braking). Has happened several times.

Is it a phantom, or a just baby software still learning? 🤔
IT's a phantom person! 👻Those are scary!

I'd classify that as baby software - it's clearly misinterpreting input and it's also reproducible and predictable. IME, phantom braking is just that - phantom. There's no clear reason, no visible signs on the display and no consistency, predictability or reproducibility to it.

Reactions: DrGriz