Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you spelled "brake" correctly. You're one of the few.
Maybe it is subliminal, people are confessing to trying to break something. Psychologists say that people feel a sense of intense joy or satisfaction when something perceived as great, be it a person or object, breaks or falls from grace. The feeling is amplified if they are actively involved in breaking it. So..

Maybe it is subliminal, people are confessing to trying to break something. Psychologists say that people feel a sense of intense joy or satisfaction when something perceived as great, be it a person or object, breaks or falls from grace. The feeling is amplified if they are actively involved in breaking it. So..

Just glad you're not one of those whackos!

Reactions: Whoze
I solved my phantom braking problem by getting an Ioniq5 and driving the Model 3 much, much less.

I seriously considered an Ioniq 5, test drove it three times, but because it does not qualify for the federal tax rebate it just didn't make sense. An Ioniq SEL RWD costs $49K where a Model 3 RWD costs $43K - $7500 = $35,500. It didn't help that my husband thinks the Ioniq interior looks like a minivan.

As far as phantom braking, I have only used auto pilot three time and it has happened every time, each time while on the interstate going 70 mph. I don't trust it. I didn't have cruise control on my last car so I may just live without it. I don't want to get rear-ended.

Reactions: philip295 and Whoze
Sorry that you had to downgrade, but whatever it takes to make one's self happy!
I did chuckle at this, so thanks for that. I did downgrade the charging network from Superchargers to EA/others, and this is why we’ve kept the Model 3. But for us the vehicle itself is decidedly an upgrade especially the quietness, comfort, access, HUD, real controls that don’t move around on a whim, etc., etc., etc. And yeah, it makes us happy. Even the German Shepherd prefers the Ioniq5.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and Whoze
I did chuckle at this, so thanks for that. I did downgrade the charging network from Superchargers to EA/others, and this is why we’ve kept the Model 3. But for us the vehicle itself is decidedly an upgrade especially the quietness, comfort, access, HUD, real controls that don’t move around on a whim, etc., etc., etc. And yeah, it makes us happy. Even the German Shepherd prefers the Ioniq5.
I do agree with you that the T3 has aged a little. When Tesla said they were going to replace the steering wheel with a yoke, I thought: fighter joystick with multi-function keys, voice command, and HUD or a smart visor. Instead, we got a sad excuse of a toaster waffle for a steering wheel. Even my 2012 Prius has a basic HUD! For a RWD, its traction control is practically flawless as demonstrated in my profile photo. Asian countries are on point when it comes to technology integration, which ironically, is why Tesla was so amazing at the time as it was an American car. Ioniq are decent cars, but as @GSOgymrat pointed out, the price break-point and charging edged the T3 ahead of the Ioniq.

I seriously considered an Ioniq 5, test drove it three times, but because it does not qualify for the federal tax rebate it just didn't make sense. An Ioniq SEL RWD costs $49K where a Model 3 RWD costs $43K - $7500 = $35,500. It didn't help that my husband thinks the Ioniq interior looks like a minivan.

As far as phantom braking, I have only used auto pilot three time and it has happened every time, each time while on the interstate going 70 mph. I don't trust it. I didn't have cruise control on my last car so I may just live without it. I don't want to get rear-ended.
There are setting for collision risk and following distance that will soften the effects of braking. I think the brakes are just too effective for the car. However, a few more miles and brake use will take the edge out of the new brake pads, and make it better. It's a known fact that new brake pads snatch more than slightly worn ones. My T3 drives like my grandma - overreacting to every distraction! So, don't give up on autopilot yet! ;)

A little humor for all our frustrations. I think we all need this bumper sticker that I saw today on our Teslas.

4A1B6803-2EA5-4798-912D-28AB723CA534.jpeg

3 phantom braking instances today on interstate 75->60mph brakes, luckily nobody too close behind. Absolutely nobody in front of me and I wish you could check the log or something of the car to see what it saw or what triggered it.

2021 M3 long range, just updated firmware tonight so we'll see if there are reduced instances.

Yes, after much reading on this and other forums, I have just realized why phantom braking occurs..
Teslas have brakes!
No need to thank my genius! :cool:
I’ve experience the lane changes only on certain roads / highways. It is though it’s something to do with the type of lines it is seeing / reading on the pavement maybe?
Ghosts have pedestrian rights too! haha! >.<
It happened to me today, complete emergency braking from 60mph to 0mph. I was only using the cruise control . All this talk of FSD is rubbish. Elon hasn’t got the basics right yet. By the way my wife’s Audi does it too, but gently.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke