Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom motorcycle gang showing on model 3 screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Has anyone experienced your Model 3 screen showing things not there? I get motorcycles, bodies, flying tractor trailers...but the service center folks just shrug.
Is it only doing this in your garage? If so, I wouldn't worry about. I routinely park between two 18 wheel semi trucks in my two car garage! But if it is happening when driving down the road, that's not normal.

Reactions: parrainx
I know I have summer/winter tires on the side of the garage where I drive in, and sometimes it showed a tractor trailer because maybe how spread out the wheels are. I haven't seen that recently though, but maybe I ignore it mentally now. Do you happen to have bicycles in garage?

Sacramento Tesla service center had this to say regarding the "phantom" images on the touchscreen interface. We noted that 2 problems exist: screen shows objects (motorcycles, trucks, bodies) not actually present AND does not vehicles that are present. The response from Tesla: " This is currently expected vehicke behavior. This is no fix. All the examples (you) listed above will eventually be improved over time with firmware."

How can we possibly accept this non reply? How do other Tesla owners deal with an appalling lack of service?
Thanks. Attaching video again so that any reader can see an example of our problem.UI shows motorcycles not actually present

Sacramento Tesla service center had this to say regarding the "phantom" images on the touchscreen interface. We noted that 2 problems exist: screen shows objects (motorcycles, trucks, bodies) not actually present AND does not vehicles that are present. The response from Tesla: " This is currently expected vehicke behavior. This is no fix. All the examples (you) listed above will eventually be improved over time with firmware."

How can we possibly accept this non reply? How do other Tesla owners deal with an appalling lack of service?
Thanks. Attaching video again so that any reader can see an example of our problem.UI shows motorcycles not actually present
It is exactly as they say, this is expected behavior. The AI is not always perfect on what it detects, there is nothing the service center can do about it. It is up to the software engineers in HQ to improve it, but even so, there will probably always be corner cases.

Supposedly when they merge the FSD Beta code with the current production code it will be better, but it'll probably never be perfect.

If instead, what you mean is it never shows the correct thing, then maybe there is something that can be addressed (like cleaning the windshield or recalibrating cameras).

Edit: I saw your video, presumably you are in your garage? If that's the case, that's completely normal behavior. If it sees a pattern in your garage that looks like a vehicle to it, it will show it in the graphics (there is only a limited list of objects it has, it'll just put the next closest thing). This happens a lot in garages, because usually there are lots of other items. In my own garage, because of cabinets, the visualization sometimes shows a semi truck in front of me.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
It is exactly as they say, this is expected behavior. The AI is not always perfect on what it detects, there is nothing the service center can do about it. It is up to the software engineers in HQ to improve it, but even so, there will probably always be corner cases.

Supposedly when they merge the FSD Beta code with the current production code it will be better, but it'll probably never be perfect.

If instead, what you mean is it never shows the correct thing, then maybe there is something that can be addressed (like cleaning the windshield or recalibrating cameras).

Edit: I saw your video, presumably you are in your garage? If that's the case, that's completely normal behavior. If it sees a pattern in your garage that looks like a vehicle to it, it will show it in the graphics. This happens a lot in garages, because usually there are lots of other items. In my own garage, because of cabinets, the visualization sometimes shows a semi truck in front of me.
When it happens in the garage, it's kinda funny. Not so very funny when it happens in parking lots or on the road. My car has also shut down while moving in traffic and accelerated while moving in traffic. I am losing confidence in this car even after driving it for 3 years.

Show your video to the Service Center, if that's what your car is showing. That's not normal. Something needs calibrating, like your cameras or they need replacing.

I have shown it to service advisors, managers and mechanics at the Sacramento service center. They pretend they aren't seeing it. They refuse to acknowledge the video and keep telling me there is nothing wrong. As in "expected vehicle behavior". I feel as though I am stuck in the Monty python skit about the dead parrot (which was inspired by an interaction with a car mechanic).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have shown it to service advisors, managers and mechanics at the Sacramento service center. They pretend they aren't seeing it. They refuse to acknowledge the video and keep telling me there is nothing wrong. As in "expected vehicle behavior". I feel as though I am stuck in the Monty python skit about the dead parrot (which was inspired by an interaction with a car mechanic).
While not Monty Python I would bet they laugh their butts off when you leave. In reality is this Really that concerning as it only happens parked next to tires in a garage? Lol. You time Has to be worth more then this.