Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phoenix area dryer buddy installers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@spesler is correct. The main point of a Dryer Buddy is that it's an appliance you just plug in, rather than something you get "installed". Electrical contractors might have heard of it, but likely not, since the other point of a Dryer Buddy is to not have to deal with getting an electrician to change anything and to get around NEC requirements for things that are installed.

*Addendum* And by the way, there are some pretty terrible versions of Dryer Buddy I don't recommend. Check this page, and near the bottom in the FAQ section, read the write-up I provided about the only type of Dryer Buddy I would recommend.
Tesla Model 3 Home Charging Guide | TeslaTap

You are correct, I should have explained better. The dryer buddy would be in the laundry, with the garage on the other side of the wall.
I think I need some type of connection to get to the garage from the laundry room wall.
Have you looked at the cost of a new outlet in the garage? To be comparable, quote a 14-30 to match what you would get from the dryer buddy.

I don’t think there are a lot of code approved ways to properly put an extension cord through the wall (due to fumes and fire risk).

Last edited:
10-30 outlet in laundry. I did have 2 quotes to: put in new 60 AMP breaker, trench about 35ft from breaker box to garage, install 220 outlet. The house has all kinds of cutouts from circuit box to garage so we have to trench.

1 quote = $1700 they trench, $1300 I trench.
2 quote = $2500, they do all work

I'm going with a 60 AMP for future use.

Hmm. I asked about 10-30 versus 14-30 because if it were 14-30, I thought you might be able to have a legitimate electrician job to use the existing 14-30 line with an A/B transfer switch with another 14-30 on the other side of the wall, so you can have one at a time active. But it's not allowed to put in new 10-30 outlets, so that method wouldn't quite work. You're still using that dryer outlet, right? If you weren't using it, or could switch it to gas by running a gas line there, then you could switch that wiring line to something like a 6-30 outlet and put it through to the other side in the garage.

Reactions: brkaus
The older 10-30 plug may not be up to code but I had no problem finding an electrician to install one. My situation was similar, the panel was to far away. Outside where I park the electrician installed the wall mounted Tesla charging station, ran conduit into my house and installed a junction box near where the dryer buddy was to go and out of this box a five foot dryer cable with 10-30 plug on the end. I ordered the dryer buddy with two 10-30 plugs on the front and auto switching from dryer to car. It took six weeks to get the darn thing but I mounted it on the wall in my laundry room, plugged the dryer into it, plugged the new 10-30 cable into it and plugged the dryer buddy into the old 10-30 dryer wall outlet. The auto switching gives priority to the dryer so it's always available otherwise your car is charging. Be aware, you have to be careful to order the auto switch version. I have no idea why he makes it complicated and offers the other versions.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus