Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app failing to regularly open car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many times this last week I approached my car with my iPhone out and the car failed to unlock . Only after opening the app and pressing the unlock did it open .
Anyone else having this issue?

i’m in the same boat - like 1 out of 3 times it doesn’t unlock. The app has all permissions on including running in background. Next time it happens, i’ll be reinstalling the app and see if that helps.

Many times this last week I approached my car with my iPhone out and the car failed to unlock . Only after opening the app and pressing the unlock did it open .
Anyone else having this issue?
Been happening to me much more frequently, and it's kind of frustration. I did notice a few fairly consistent things though, maybe these tips help. Fyi, I'm on Android with a pixel 2 xl, so YMMV with an iPhone.

1. I tend to put my phone in my pocket 'upside down', ie top first. I find that quite often causes the door unlock to not work. Just taking my phone out and flipping it vertical often causes it to respond again.

2. Sometimes just trying a different door handle makes it work for some reason. Ie, if I try the driver door handle a few times nothing works. But then if I try the rear driver side handle it wakes up...this actually is what leads me to believe it's more of a car thing than phone thing.

It's definitely become more frequent that I can't unlock in the last few months. Since day 1 I've disabled the app sleep settings, so this behaviour seems independent of the phone Bluetooth going to sleep.

We have this problem in our house. There are 5 people sharing one car in our family and the user manual says that three phones can be connected at one time. Two of us are iphone and three are android. Seems like the android phones are better at maintaining connection. I noticed that my phone updated to ios 14.2 yesterday and I haven't had an issue today.

I have had that very rarely with my iPhone (8+) I have never actually resorted to unlocking; just close and open the app and it works. Sometimes it takes about 5 seconds for the car to realize I'm there, too. Try the handle, does not open, try the handle again, it opens. Happens whether my wife and her phone are around or not.

More annoying, my charger frequently does not open the charge port pressing the plug button. Sometimes I open the back door and it works after the car wakes up. Sometimes I open the front door and it will respond. If I open the car and push the open on the screen, or use my phone, it opens. This is the third charger, so I don't think it's that.